Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2012, 10:06 AM

655 posts, read 1,059,850 times

Advertisements

I am hearing that Verizon is much more stingy when it comes to promotions now, especially on those folks renewing. Would be interesting to see what people are getting as the 2yr time since they hit the Island en masse is coming up for many.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2012, 10:08 AM

721 posts, read 1,566,186 times
I had a similar deal that is ending next month. The prices now seem to be higher for both. Verizon offered me DVR, showtime, 3 boxes one of which is free (but it's not an HD box) Internet & phone for $117 but if I add HBO it is $125 the first year. Cable was a little cheaper $112 for the same as Verizon but no HBO. $14 if I want to add HBO but all the cable boxes are HD. I have been paying $115 with SHO and HBO and 3 boxes, DVR, phone, internet. Verizon said they were not offering the $69 deal now. I have had my eye out for the $69 deal but have not seen it recently.

Honestly I don't care about the TV quality or anything. I hardly watch tv. I just don't want it creeping up to where I am paying $150 a month.

I would be interested to hear if anyone has gotten a better deal recently. Last time when I called to cancel cable someone called me back and gave me a better deal than I was offered when I called myself. I did schedule a Fios install but this time no one called from cable. I'm not interested in switching and switching back. It is not worth the legwork and the time to wait around for the install.

Old 10-03-2012, 10:28 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,028,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redrunner+2 View Post
I had a similar deal that is ending next month. The prices now seem to be higher for both. Verizon offered me DVR, showtime, 3 boxes one of which is free (but it's not an HD box) Internet & phone for $117 but if I add HBO it is $125 the first year. Cable was a little cheaper $112 for the same as Verizon but no HBO. $14 if I want to add HBO but all the cable boxes are HD. I have been paying $115 with SHO and HBO and 3 boxes, DVR, phone, internet. Verizon said they were not offering the $69 deal now. I have had my eye out for the $69 deal but have not seen it recently.

Honestly I don't care about the TV quality or anything. I hardly watch tv. I just don't want it creeping up to where I am paying $150 a month.

I would be interested to hear if anyone has gotten a better deal recently. Last time when I called to cancel cable someone called me back and gave me a better deal than I was offered when I called myself. I did schedule a Fios install but this time no one called from cable. I'm not interested in switching and switching back. It is not worth the legwork and the time to wait around for the install.
The switching back an forth is my main thing also. It's going to get tedious very quickly. The cablevision deal being offered now to me is good, but it's lonly locked in at one rate for a year, than $10 more after that for the second year. So in 2 years I'd be back to this nonsense.

Old 10-03-2012, 11:49 AM

5,509 posts, read 7,102,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
For phone, internet, and cable? Why do these companies keep ripping me off? What is your reps name??!!
Yes for all three. It was a great deal. Next month I am telling CV to give the same or I'm staying with Verizon. I will let you know the outcome then.

Old 10-03-2012, 01:37 PM

236 posts, read 473,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVR1997 View Post
I am hearing that Verizon is much more stingy when it comes to promotions now, especially on those folks renewing. Would be interesting to see what people are getting as the 2yr time since they hit the Island en masse is coming up for many.
Just renewed recently as I closed in on the end of my initial 2-year plan with FIOS, and not surprisingly I'm in the middle of my first billing issue with them.

Long story short, one of the promotional credits offered as part of the renewal -- and confirmed by two pieces of Verizon documentation and several customer-service reps -- is now not being applied. The first rep I spoke to about the issue hid behind semantics and suggested I either cancel my service or change it. A second rep I spoke to had me fax my documents for their review.

We'll see how it turns out.

Old 10-03-2012, 06:14 PM

655 posts, read 1,059,850 times
I see Cablevision has a mailer out for $79.95 for the triple play for 2 years. New Kindle Fire HD tablet and free DVR. While I prefer FIOS, my first year promo discounts are up and my 2nd year ones are almost up...and I am not liking their renewal rates...will need to see if FIOS will match.

I don't really see a hassle of changing if you do it once every 2 years.

Old 10-04-2012, 11:35 AM

592 posts, read 919,261 times
It's a real big hassle to change when you have over a dozen WiFi devices that need a router password entered. The WiFi dvd players are the worst as they are not intuitive at all.

Old 10-04-2012, 12:09 PM

59 posts, read 169,750 times
not a problem to me. I always use my own wireless router with everything set up and hook it into the router provided by the carrier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetstash View Post
It's a real big hassle to change when you have over a dozen WiFi devices that need a router password entered. The WiFi dvd players are the worst as they are not intuitive at all.

Old 10-08-2012, 07:45 AM

5,509 posts, read 7,102,385 times
I am bginning to wonder if I want the triple play at all. 99% of the calls to my landline are telemarketers. Anyone who is important to me reaches me on my cell. I want to see what kind of deals they both have for the double play! Or subsitute my cell phone for my landline in the triple play.

Old 10-08-2012, 05:10 PM

20,027 posts, read 20,826,797 times
No deals on the "double play ". Tried already. I have zero use for a land line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island