Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2012, 09:05 AM

456 posts, read 1,428,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty Brewster View Post
Many of these points have been argued ad infinitum on here. Most people don't base their opinion on the DVR alone. There are several other factors.

1- FiOS picture rarely, if ever pixelates. Cablevision picture pixelates, freezes and has audio dropout constantly.

2- I can set to record and watch recordings on any TV...not sure if cable offers this yet. My recordings don't pixelate either.

3- Cable's phone sucks. I always had probems with it. Sometimes I would dial a number and the call would not complete.

4- I like the fact that I can sign in online from anywhere, check my messages, see who called me, record shows, and check my email all on one site. No sure about now; I left cable nearly 3 years ago, but I could never do that with them.

5- The internet. The speeds are consistently more than what I pay for. Some here will tell you you don't need that kind of speed, but I disagree. My wife works from home a lot and needs it. Watching streaming media also works much better with consistent speeds. And wait till you use the wi-fi on your smart phone. I know cable has come a long way in this regard, but their speeds are not consistent, and they have improved internet at the expense of TV picture quality.

6- My phone will work for ~ 8 hours if there is a power outage. That outweighs being able to record. Sorry.

7- Equipment. The internet used to drop out all the time on cable. I had to reboot the modem constantly. Same for the TV boxes...they'd freeze and I'd have to reboot the boxes. On average I would say this happens 5 times a week. It has happened to me once in 3 years. Which brings me to my next point.

8- Customer Service. Call cable customer service with an issue. After 15 or 20 minutes, you'll get a moron on the line who will walk you through rebooting. If that doesn't work, they'll put you on hold while they "send a signal". Then when that doesn't work, they'll tell you to go swap the box, or they'll set up a service call for 2 weeks from Tuesday, causing you to miss work. And most times, the problem you called about will fix itself Monday night, so when their repairman comes on Tuesday, he has nothing to fix. As I mentioned in a previous post, when I had an issue with a FiOS box, I was able to go online and chat instead of calling. They mailed me a replacement set-top box overnight, no questions asked, and sent me a pre-labeled cardboard box to return the defective one. Super easy.

If I think about this, I could probably find more...but I think this is enough to sway me.
Wow, point #8 is so dead-on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2012, 12:06 PM

3,939 posts, read 8,973,207 times
Don't forget that CV techs are outsourced (who get paid per job and have no incentive to stay longer than absolutely necessary) and VZW are employees.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Old 11-24-2012, 12:24 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,047,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty Brewster View Post
Many of these points have been argued ad infinitum on here. Most people don't base their opinion on the DVR alone. There are several other factors.

1- FiOS picture rarely, if ever pixelates. Cablevision picture pixelates, freezes and has audio dropout constantly.
My Cablevision very rarely pixelates and never freezes. Audio dropout has happened, but it is extremely rare.

Quote:
2- I can set to record and watch recordings on any TV...not sure if cable offers this yet. My recordings don't pixelate either.
Cablevision does that too, and the recordings almost never pixelate.

Quote:
3- Cable's phone sucks. I always had probems with it. Sometimes I would dial a number and the call would not complete.
I've never had a problem with the Cablevision phone, except for when I lose power or cable. Even then, I have it set up to forward to my cell phone, so I don't miss calls.

Quote:
4- I like the fact that I can sign in online from anywhere, check my messages, see who called me, record shows, and check my email all on one site. No sure about now; I left cable nearly 3 years ago, but I could never do that with them.
Cablevision does that too.

Quote:
5- The internet. The speeds are consistently more than what I pay for. Some here will tell you you don't need that kind of speed, but I disagree. My wife works from home a lot and needs it. Watching streaming media also works much better with consistent speeds. And wait till you use the wi-fi on your smart phone. I know cable has come a long way in this regard, but their speeds are not consistent, and they have improved internet at the expense of TV picture quality.
My internet speed is good enough for me. I'm not allowed to work from home, so that's moot. I do not have a smart phone, so that's moot. I do have an iPod Touch, and I do occasionally use Optimum WiFi, which isn't too reliable, but I'm glad it exists at all. I consider it to be a luxury, and not one that I'm even really paying for, so it's not the end of the world when it doesn't work. Again, I have no problem with the TV picture quality.

Quote:
6- My phone will work for ~ 8 hours if there is a power outage. That outweighs being able to record. Sorry.
Cablevision also has a battery backup option. I don't have it (maybe I should get it), so I don't know how long it lasts. As I said, I have it set up to forward to my cell phone when the power or cable is out, so I never miss calls.

Quote:
7- Equipment. The internet used to drop out all the time on cable. I had to reboot the modem constantly. Same for the TV boxes...they'd freeze and I'd have to reboot the boxes. On average I would say this happens 5 times a week. It has happened to me once in 3 years. Which brings me to my next point.
I never have problems with the internet or cable dropping out, and I very rarely have to reboot the modem or cable boxes. Maybe once a year.

Quote:
8- Customer Service. Call cable customer service with an issue. After 15 or 20 minutes, you'll get a moron on the line who will walk you through rebooting. If that doesn't work, they'll put you on hold while they "send a signal". Then when that doesn't work, they'll tell you to go swap the box, or they'll set up a service call for 2 weeks from Tuesday, causing you to miss work. And most times, the problem you called about will fix itself Monday night, so when their repairman comes on Tuesday, he has nothing to fix. As I mentioned in a previous post, when I had an issue with a FiOS box, I was able to go online and chat instead of calling. They mailed me a replacement set-top box overnight, no questions asked, and sent me a pre-labeled cardboard box to return the defective one. Super easy.
Never had that problem.

Quote:
If I think about this, I could probably find more...but I think this is enough to sway me.
If Verizon serves your needs, then go with Verizon. If Cablevision serves my needs, I'll stay with Cablevision. Both services exist, and I'm glad that we have a choice as to which to use. Obviously enough people use Cablevision for it to remain in business and enough people use Verizon for it to remain in business.

Old 11-24-2012, 12:34 PM

126 posts, read 227,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
My Cablevision very rarely pixelates and never freezes. Audio dropout has happened, but it is extremely rare.

Cablevision does that too, and the recordings almost never pixelate.

I've never had a problem with the Cablevision phone, except for when I lose power or cable. Even then, I have it set up to forward to my cell phone, so I don't miss calls.

Cablevision does that too.

My internet speed is good enough for me. I'm not allowed to work from home, so that's moot. I do not have a smart phone, so that's moot. I do have an iPod Touch, and I do occasionally use Optimum WiFi, which isn't too reliable, but I'm glad it exists at all. I consider it to be a luxury, and not one that I'm even really paying for, so it's not the end of the world when it doesn't work. Again, I have no problem with the TV picture quality.

Cablevision also has a battery backup option. I don't have it (maybe I should get it), so I don't know how long it lasts. As I said, I have it set up to forward to my cell phone when the power or cable is out, so I never miss calls.

I never have problems with the internet or cable dropping out, and I very rarely have to reboot the modem or cable boxes. Maybe once a year.

Never had that problem.

If Verizon serves your needs, then go with Verizon. If Cablevision serves my needs, I'll stay with Cablevision. Both services exist, and I'm glad that we have a choice as to which to use. Obviously enough people use Cablevision for it to remain in business and enough people use Verizon for it to remain in business.

Objection...Overruled - YouTube

Old 11-26-2012, 01:12 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,006,998 times
No - Cablevision is antiquitated. The most modern piece of equipment they have is the "helicopter".

Old 11-28-2012, 02:50 PM

5,518 posts, read 7,107,963 times
I'm switching back to CV from Verizon as my two years were up and Verizon's price was going up. CV gave me a great offer to come back plus a Kindle Fire, which I probably won't know how to use. I did kind of miss News 12, but will be sorry to leave Verizon. It was great service and I will go back to them when my two years are up with CV.

Old 11-28-2012, 04:26 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,997,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTom View Post
I'm switching back to CV from Verizon as my two years were up and Verizon's price was going up. CV gave me a great offer to come back plus a Kindle Fire, which I probably won't know how to use. I did kind of miss News 12, but will be sorry to leave Verizon. It was great service and I will go back to them when my two years are up with CV.
Huh? Why 2 years with CV? They do not have contracts and are month to month. That is one of their biggest selling points.

Old 11-29-2012, 09:40 AM

5,518 posts, read 7,107,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
Huh? Why 2 years with CV? They do not have contracts and are month to month. That is one of their biggest selling points.
My mistake, I just assumed they both had two year commitments. The rep is coming over Friday to finalize the details. they make home appiointments now rather then doing all this over the phone.

Old 11-29-2012, 09:56 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,973,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTom View Post
My mistake, I just assumed they both had two year commitments. The rep is coming over Friday to finalize the details. they make home appiointments now rather then doing all this over the phone.
Sounds like more of a headache than ordering online or over the phone.

Old 12-22-2012, 03:23 PM

1 posts, read 2,819 times
Cablevision is pushing hard for all to switch in my neighborhood. I was with them 2 or 3 years ago when I switched to FIOS. In these years with FIOS, I did not have any problems at all. However, I still have good memory of the slow channel changing experience with Cablevision, occasionally poor picture signals (they would say it was sunspots when you called up about it I believe) and nearly every day at the same time my internet connection went down (believe around 3PM EST). As I telecommute, this really was a bad, annoying and embarrassing thing if you are running webex or something. But the sales rep at Cablevision told me their infrastructure is vastly different now and all those problems are gone. So when I look at the deal they are giving me, I believe the free multi-dvr box free for one year is what is causing their price to mostly look better. I'm leaning to stay with FIOS but of course it's nagging me whether I'm making the right decision with regards to the money. I called Verizon and they can put me on the new promotion and will increase my internet speeds but they still can't beat the Cablevision offer in terms of pricing. Oh what to do, what to do. There are a lot of opinions on here. If I could trust that the basic issues I saw before would not happen now I would try them. But how would I know without switching...I have a friend that is switching next week. I might visit her house and check out her TV and and see what she says. :-/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island