Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2012, 02:51 PM

1,144 posts, read 2,990,482 times

Advertisements

In what world is paying a $180 a month for ANY television service considered "worth it"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2012, 03:00 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,036,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayo_michael View Post
In what world is paying a $180 a month for ANY television service considered "worth it"?
It's television phone and internet but either way it's too much.

Old 10-01-2012, 06:31 PM

13 posts, read 58,612 times
We switched from CV to Fios, reason being that the signal from CV was too weak, for internet and TV. We didn't notice it on the internet but the TV was definitely annoying. We couldn't watch certain channels. They couldn't resolve it after 3 visits and I was really frustrated because scheduling the visits takes time. At one point they came and after a few hours, seemingly fixed it, then a few hours later, it was back to square one.

CV comes faster (next day) if all three services are showing a weak signal, so ask them to check all three, or mention that your phone calls sound funny.

When we made the switch to Fios, CV matched it (savings over $40), so don't be afraid to ask them to match Fios. Also they sent an area sales rep (not the dudes who leave the flyers on your doorknob, it was a nice guy in a suit), who offered us the world to stay with CV. I told him whatever it you offer is pointless if the signal is weak.

Also when I did an internet speed test, Fios over delivered on what we paid for and CV was under delivering the entire time because of the signal.

Old 10-01-2012, 08:02 PM

20,049 posts, read 20,855,965 times
I recently switched back to cable for "fiscal" reasons.
It blows.
I am saving a boatload of money but cable can't hold a candle to Verizons product.

The new boxes are better I guess, It only takes 1 minute to switch channels now. The Internet is definitely, 100% slower than Verizon. On top of that I constantly have to reboot the modem because either the Internet or the phone don't work.

It is what it is. I needed to save money. Hopefully in a few years I can go back to Verizon.

Old 10-02-2012, 08:06 AM

5,519 posts, read 7,109,883 times
My verizon promotion ends next month, I was paying 69 a month for triple play plus free dvr and all premium channels. CV has been hounding me for months. The last guy who came to mny door gave me $84 a month for all three taxes included.

I will wait to see what verizon is going to bump me up to before making a change. +

Old 10-02-2012, 09:03 AM

14 posts, read 35,003 times
from optimum, received today. never heard anything like this!

"Between October 4, 2012 and October 12, 2012, you may notice a very brief interruption in TV service due to Sun Outages. These interruptions last only a few minutes and are caused by the sun's interference with satellites that deliver TV service. The service will be restored automatically and there is nothing you will need to do. For a complete schedule of anticipated times and channels affected, click here.

Thank you. "

Old 10-02-2012, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTom View Post
My verizon promotion ends next month, I was paying 69 a month for triple play plus free dvr and all premium channels. CV has been hounding me for months. The last guy who came to mny door gave me $84 a month for all three taxes included.

I will wait to see what verizon is going to bump me up to before making a change. +
This is with all showtime and HBO and how many boxes from Verizon? $69?

Why are these people always low-balling me? Cablevision's only offering me $122 or something.

Old 10-03-2012, 07:43 AM

5,519 posts, read 7,109,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
This is with all showtime and HBO and how many boxes from Verizon? $69?

Why are these people always low-balling me? Cablevision's only offering me $122 or something.
Yes, everything from Showtime, Starz,Encore, Cinimax to all the HBOs plus one free DVR, Hey gave me $69 a month for two years.

I tried Verizon a while back for a short time, then switched back to CV because they gave me such a great deal to return.

Verizon was hounding me for the longest time as I already had their equipment in my house. (They don't remove it when you discontinue service).

So I will play one against the other for now on and never pay over $100 bucks again...

Old 10-03-2012, 07:50 AM

147 posts, read 371,342 times
For TV, FIOS is much better, as they don't compress the crap out of the signal and the tv boxes are much more modern and faster. I solved the TV box issue by buying my own and renting a cablecard. The signal is still compressed on any non-broadcast channel. The internet is one thing I can't fault Cablevision on. For the basic internet package (16/2 i think?) I regularly get 17-18 mbps even during peak. The uplink is still capped, but that isn't a huge issue unless you are doing something funky like running a VPN back to your home pc. If the price difference is great, go with Cablevision. For the same or close to the same price, FIOS all the way.

Old 10-03-2012, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTom View Post
Yes, everything from Showtime, Starz,Encore, Cinimax to all the HBOs plus one free DVR, Hey gave me $69 a month for two years.

I tried Verizon a while back for a short time, then switched back to CV because they gave me such a great deal to return.

Verizon was hounding me for the longest time as I already had their equipment in my house. (They don't remove it when you discontinue service).

So I will play one against the other for now on and never pay over $100 bucks again...
For phone, internet, and cable? Why do these companies keep ripping me off? What is your reps name??!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island