Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 05:06 PM

56,960 posts, read 25,901,119 times

Advertisements

I would like to see the Islanders stay, but not at the expense of the taxpayer, and we don't need to hand the keys to the county to a developer as we did with Roosevelt Field. Doesn't look like the economics are there to support a team.

Nassau County is losing businesses and a development in Uniondale won't make a difference. They are leaving because of the cost of housing and taxes, we need to attract businesses, not build a sports arena.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2012, 07:44 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,603,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jak0lantern01 View Post
I'm not understanding what you're trying to say. The existing Riverhead track has been there for years. So? Tanger, while not as long, has been there for years, also. Since Tanger was put in place, Easter LI has begun redeveloping a nice agricultural economy, especially since the real estate market is toast and fuel prices are up. The farms and vineyards also help maintain a calm, rural aestetic that itself draws and maintains tourism. I know I drive out east to the vineyards for a day out with the wife. If people want the city, they can go to NY city. If you overdevelop the rest of the island, its uniqueness will be lost. And for what? Also, I didn't say that I supported a mall, either, so I seem to be having trouble understanding your point. Please, clarify.
The north fork had a true rural feeling which has been changed to an argro-tourism/vineyard playground over the past 30 years. The traffic on Sound Ave in the fall is atrocious. Golf courses and homes have sprung up where farm fields once existed.

You talk about Tanger as being beneficial -- to what? That whole area was once undeveloped. Now it is a stretch of big box national chain stores. Do we really need more of those?

Calverton/Grumman is easily accessible from LIE Exit 69 and would make an ideal destination for a new stadium/arena/track.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:57 PM

1,103 posts, read 1,989,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
The north fork had a true rural feeling which has been changed to an argro-tourism/vineyard playground over the past 30 years. The traffic on Sound Ave in the fall is atrocious. Golf courses and homes have sprung up where farm fields once existed.

You talk about Tanger as being beneficial -- to what? That whole area was once undeveloped. Now it is a stretch of big box national chain stores. Do we really need more of those?

Calverton/Grumman is easily accessible from LIE Exit 69 and would make an ideal destination for a new stadium/arena/track.
Whats the big deal with tanger i mean its actually listed as a tourist attraction i didin"t know malls were tourist attractions.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:04 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,603,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoracer9 View Post
Whats the big deal with tanger i mean its actually listed as a tourist attraction i didin"t know malls were tourist attractions.
Some people like to shop. I don't see the appeal, but then again, a lot of people don't understand why I like quads and 4X4s, or why I don't mind getting my hair messed up by a helmet. Different strokes.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:39 PM

1,766 posts, read 3,217,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
I would like to see the Islanders stay, but not at the expense of the taxpayer, and we don't need to hand the keys to the county to a developer as we did with Roosevelt Field. Doesn't look like the economics are there to support a team.

Nassau County is losing businesses and a development in Uniondale won't make a difference. They are leaving because of the cost of housing and taxes, we need to attract businesses, not build a sports arena.
you are so right. Developers love to talk about job creation that a new arena would bring (really just temporary construction jobs, then $8/hour beer vending jobs). Someone tell me how Nassau taxpayers will benefit long term from this.

Old 04-24-2012, 07:22 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,981,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifetimeliguy View Post
you are so right. Developers love to talk about job creation that a new arena would bring (really just temporary construction jobs, then $8/hour beer vending jobs). Someone tell me how Nassau taxpayers will benefit long term from this.
This isn't about job development, it is about cultural relevance and growth. The taxpayers don't benefit financially from zoos, museums, nightclubs, tracks, arenas, pro sports, etc. They benefit culturally which improves quality of life (for most, except the Nimbyites who just want silence on every sq inch of the Island) and attract additional development and feeder businesses. Selling hot dogs for $8/hr isn't the greatest job (unless you don't have one) but the meat distributor who gets that contract is a happy guy as are the hundreds of other suppliers and if the $8/hr helps pay for daycare so another spouse can work then that's more $ in the tax base. That's how growth works.

Losing the arena and team adds NOTHING! NOTHING!! We also lose the Syosset facility which adds jobs and is a cultural center for sports and lessons. Letting industries walk away is not a recipe for prosperity.

The Islanders are just another big industry LI is willing to let go because the taxpayers are mad that we fell asleep at the switch and let the school and police unions fleece us and we signed off on it. Still, we keep electing the same chumps who put their names on the dotted lines that hang us.

Losing the cache of a world class pro sports team (one that happened to be an unmatched dynasty once) and arena is a SIGNIFICANT sign of decline. It's another SYMBOL of politcal cowardess and ineptitude and a clear sign that the Island is NOT a place of growth and ambition. A clear sign for businesses to stay away. Nothing can get done because no one wants anything done.

You can't create anything (jobs) if you never break ground on SOMETHING. Trading pro franchises for minor league sports or none at all is just sad and disheartening.

Old 04-24-2012, 07:25 AM

456 posts, read 1,424,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoracer9 View Post
i just meant your not in favor of a track so would you rather be in favor of a mall? odds are no matter what if anything goes there it will bring traffic
atleast a racetracks traffic is only 1 day a week.
But I never said to build a mall. Do we really need another?

Old 04-24-2012, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post

I never said Tanger was beneficial, I just said it's been there for years. I think the overdevelopment of that area is attrocious and avoid it like the plague. Traffic on a weekend afternoon is almost like nothing I've ever seen. Please, someone here quote my statements accurately. Just to point out, I never said we needed another mall, nor did I say condo's or Tanger are GOOD things. Y'all should get your little pink panties out of a bunch and stop twisting the words of other folks. My views are forward looking and, unfortunately you can't just go and undo what's been done just because you don't like it.

Old 04-24-2012, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
This isn't about job development, it is about cultural relevance and growth. The taxpayers don't benefit financially from zoos, museums, nightclubs, tracks, arenas, pro sports, etc. They benefit culturally which improves quality of life (for most, except the Nimbyites who just want silence on every sq inch of the Island) and attract additional development and feeder businesses. Selling hot dogs for $8/hr isn't the greatest job (unless you don't have one) but the meat distributor who gets that contract is a happy guy as are the hundreds of other suppliers and if the $8/hr helps pay for daycare so another spouse can work then that's more $ in the tax base. That's how growth works.

Losing the arena and team adds NOTHING! NOTHING!! We also lose the Syosset facility which adds jobs and is a cultural center for sports and lessons. Letting industries walk away is not a recipe for prosperity.

The Islanders are just another big industry LI is willing to let go because the taxpayers are mad that we fell asleep at the switch and let the school and police unions fleece us and we signed off on it. Still, we keep electing the same chumps who put their names on the dotted lines that hang us.

Losing the cache of a world class pro sports team (one that happened to be an unmatched dynasty once) and arena is a SIGNIFICANT sign of decline. It's another SYMBOL of politcal cowardess and ineptitude and a clear sign that the Island is NOT a place of growth and ambition. A clear sign for businesses to stay away. Nothing can get done because no one wants anything done.

You can't create anything (jobs) if you never break ground on SOMETHING. Trading pro franchises for minor league sports or none at all is just sad and disheartening.
They should have allowed the Lighthouse project to procede. Not sure why NIMBYism would come into effect here, it's just a case of out with the old, in with the new. It would have restored the entire area.

Old 04-24-2012, 07:52 AM

5,277 posts, read 4,722,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post

Couldnt have said it better Mongoose! Excellent post. There is more to this than "financial benefit to the tax payers".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island