Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 08:50 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,243,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunk10 View Post
^they cannot all be close relations/friends, can they?
No family, all my daughter's friends which we are good friends with all of the parents...some very tight, some pretty tight...all a close group of people through school, sports, activites, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2012, 09:36 PM

840 posts, read 2,445,104 times
we just had to turn down our dream wedding...cause it was someone else's. :P

friend got married in maui but we were looking at like 7k for all of us. after buying new house, backyard is the family vacation this year. 2 communions this weekend though.

Old 05-05-2012, 08:52 PM

24,097 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
But anyone who is throwing a communion party at a catering hall has to be Italian through and through.

$500 if you know whats good for you.
Reason number 71 that I left Long Island and I'm glad I did. The tyranny of enforced gift giving and religious events for 7 or 8 year olds that are treated as reasons to give money. Or better, to demand money.

Gift I would give? Just about anything under fifty dollars that could not be returned and was NOT money.

Old 05-05-2012, 08:59 PM

24,097 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woody516 View Post
I'm going to a communion this weekend and plan on giving $100. I don't care how much the parents paid for the party, they're still getting $100. If they chose to have it in their backyard, or even better, to NOT have a party, I'd still give the kid $100. It's not up to me to reimburse the parents' expense at throwing their child a party extrordinaire.

Anyway, if this is a religious event, why do we wind up giving cash. Maybe people should just show up with a gift wrapped bible, rosary beads, or saint statuettes. LOL
I so agree! So many children never attend church and are suddenly thrust into religious events at key ages.

Then the parents throw a party and they expect the guests to foot the bill.

Not only is it "not a wedding", it's not a confirmation or a bar mitzvah. It's certainly not a graduation.

Five hundred bucks? Not on your life!

Old 05-06-2012, 03:15 AM

1,431 posts, read 2,479,708 times
Hmm, my communion was at my grandparents' house in Garden City in 1998 or so. Typical gifts were $100 with a smattering of $50 gifts. The food was catered from Valley in Franklin Square. As a child, I liked that format as I love(d) my grandparents' home and I was free to run around with my cousins and get grass stains on my shirt. As a young adult now planning my graduation party, also at my grandparents', I prefer the freedom I have to set up the event. As far as venues go, I prefer a large, upscale home to an aspiration Long Island "catering hall" with built-in-1999 faux Rococo. More importantly, I have full control over the bar selection and food menu (in my case, I'd doing old world wines, Champagne cocktails, Pimms cocktails, German & Belgian import beer with an Asian fusian menu of sushi, thai, and chinese). Why be locked into the typical LI catering hall crap of lemon chicken/parm/baked ziti?

Oh, I almost forgot. A communion gift is NOT RECOMPENSE FOR THE PARENTS. The gift is for the kid. My sister and I got our gift money to dispose of as we pleased. The money, judiciously withdrawn from the bank, allowed for little indulgences for several years.

Old 05-06-2012, 08:02 AM

840 posts, read 2,445,104 times
I let my children keep about 1/3 of theirs, the rest split between 529s and custodial savings accounts. You can't give an 8 year old $1-3k but even in this day and age, they feel pretty powerful in toys r' us with $300.

we have a very small family so when my youngest makes his net year, we are going to bring the closest family to dinner then having a bigger gathering back at the house.

Old 05-06-2012, 10:42 AM

1,431 posts, read 2,479,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kunk10 View Post
I let my children keep about 1/3 of theirs, the rest split between 529s and custodial savings accounts. You can't give an 8 year old $1-3k but even in this day and age, they feel pretty powerful in toys r' us with $300.

we have a very small family so when my youngest makes his net year, we are going to bring the closest family to dinner then having a bigger gathering back at the house.
Right, that is what I meant. The money, in some manner, belongs to the kid. That is, it is not being used to settle the credit card bill at month's end.

Old 05-06-2012, 12:58 PM

77 posts, read 164,624 times
My children each got about $100.00 total to spend on themselves and the remainder went into their college savings accounts.
Honestly none of them received much more than $1000.00, about the same as it cost to have the party(s).
As for their Christenings, the money we received went to pay for the Christening party. Again about $1000.00 received and it cost about that to have the party.
These were backyard parties with typical catered food, yes like chicken parm, baked ziti and a hero.

Old 05-06-2012, 07:45 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,243,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Heaven View Post
My children each got about $100.00 total to spend on themselves and the remainder went into their college savings accounts.
Honestly none of them received much more than $1000.00, about the same as it cost to have the party(s).
As for their Christenings, the money we received went to pay for the Christening party. Again about $1000.00 received and it cost about that to have the party.
These were backyard parties with typical catered food, yes like chicken parm, baked ziti and a hero.
Gasp! No beer fusion? How could you?!?!?

Old 05-07-2012, 04:07 AM

909 posts, read 1,836,456 times
Does anyone else notice that this crazy gift giving is a disease only NY has. It's probably just a downstate problem most likely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island