U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-02-2012, 05:14 AM

856 posts, read 1,791,941 times
Default how far from property line can you place fence in town of huntington?

Hi. Does anyone happen to know if a fence can run along your property line or it has to be a certain amount of feet from it? I am in the town of huntington-thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2012, 07:06 AM

447 posts, read 775,769 times
http://huntingtonny.gov/department_details.cfm?ID=44

Fences

Q. Is a building permit required for a fence?

A. A fence over 6 feet in height is deemed a structure under the Zoning Ordinance. A building permit is required for a structure. This would include a fence if the top horizontal element is more than 6 feet above the grade on either side of the fence.

Q. What are the requirements for getting a building permit for a fence?

A. Fences are considered accessory structures and the standard permit application is used.

Q. Must I put the finished side of a fence facing my neighbors?

A. No. For a regular perimeter fence the exterior facing is a matter of individual choice. However, a fence around a swimming pool is more strictly regulated, including no footholds on the outside.

Q. Where may I put a fence on my property?

A. A fence may be built around an entire lot. The location of the fence in relation to the property line is the sole responsibility of the property owner. Also, Section 198-74 of the Town Code details guidelines for limiting visual obstructions on corner lots for fences and vegetation as well.

Q. Will the Town determine my lot line for a fence?

A. No. It is up to the owner to hire a licensed surveyor to mark out property lines. If a surveyor is not hired, it is good practice to not try to fence the exact lot line, in the case an error is made the fence might have to be removed.

Q. How and where can a fence go on commercial property?

A. The same rules apply. See the Code for specifications where fences are REQUIRED for contractors' yards, lumberyards, junkyards, etc. (Search under "fence")

Q. How high can a fence be?

A. Six feet except for lumberyards and junkyards, where the fence is set back at least 15 feet

Q. How high must a fence for a swimming pool be?

A. At least 48" for all pools, above and in-ground.

Old 05-02-2012, 11:34 AM

856 posts, read 1,791,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyTrees View Post
http://huntingtonny.gov/department_details.cfm?ID=44

Fences

Q. Is a building permit required for a fence?

A. A fence over 6 feet in height is deemed a structure under the Zoning Ordinance. A building permit is required for a structure. This would include a fence if the top horizontal element is more than 6 feet above the grade on either side of the fence.

Q. What are the requirements for getting a building permit for a fence?

A. Fences are considered accessory structures and the standard permit application is used.

Q. Must I put the finished side of a fence facing my neighbors?

A. No. For a regular perimeter fence the exterior facing is a matter of individual choice. However, a fence around a swimming pool is more strictly regulated, including no footholds on the outside.

Q. Where may I put a fence on my property?

A. A fence may be built around an entire lot. The location of the fence in relation to the property line is the sole responsibility of the property owner. Also, Section 198-74 of the Town Code details guidelines for limiting visual obstructions on corner lots for fences and vegetation as well.

Q. Will the Town determine my lot line for a fence?

A. No. It is up to the owner to hire a licensed surveyor to mark out property lines. If a surveyor is not hired, it is good practice to not try to fence the exact lot line, in the case an error is made the fence might have to be removed.

Q. How and where can a fence go on commercial property?

A. The same rules apply. See the Code for specifications where fences are REQUIRED for contractors' yards, lumberyards, junkyards, etc. (Search under "fence")

Q. How high can a fence be?

A. Six feet except for lumberyards and junkyards, where the fence is set back at least 15 feet

Q. How high must a fence for a swimming pool be?

A. At least 48" for all pools, above and in-ground.
Thanks for taking the time to post all that great information

Old 05-02-2012, 11:42 AM

13,745 posts, read 15,714,300 times
Also take into consideration that Villages within the ToH might have different zoning. Setback will vary depending upon your home's zoning if you're considering placing a fence on a corner lot or forward of a front foundation line.

Old 06-10-2012, 12:00 AM

71 posts, read 66,667 times
So I just bought a house in the town of huntington and my backyard faces a main road. Do you think there would be an issue if I put up an 8ft fence ? There is actually a 6ft already installed facing the road but I wanted to add 8ft stockade behind it to block out the noise and view.

Old 06-10-2012, 07:15 AM

999 posts, read 1,189,622 times
Why not add the other 2' to the already in place 6'

Old 06-10-2012, 07:34 AM

168 posts, read 164,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmg97 View Post
So I just bought a house in the town of huntington and my backyard faces a main road. Do you think there would be an issue if I put up an 8ft fence ? There is actually a 6ft already installed facing the road but I wanted to add 8ft stockade behind it to block out the noise and view.
The answer to your question is two posts above yours in this thread.

Old 06-10-2012, 03:29 PM

71 posts, read 66,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIMA View Post
Why not add the other 2' to the already in place 6'
Because it won't look right from the backyard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperman1111 View Post
The answer to your question is two posts above yours in this thread.
I want questioning the legality of it. I was asking if you think someone would bust chops. I did read that you can apply for a permit to install a fence over 6 ft but come on. They'll probably want to raise my taxes because I don't want to hear or see the road.

Old 06-10-2012, 06:08 PM

7,631 posts, read 10,359,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmg97 View Post
Because it won't look right from the backyard.

I want questioning the legality of it. I was asking if you think someone would bust chops. I did read that you can apply for a permit to install a fence over 6 ft but come on. They'll probably want to raise my taxes because I don't want to hear or see the road.

Most likely!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island