Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 05:39 AM

1,772 posts, read 3,233,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.I.N.Y. View Post

They can't check the GPS without a complaint because half the time they don't work. Many times they have shown cars across the country or in the ocean. Nobody uses them.
It's the NCPD you are talking about here. The GPS may be correct.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2012, 06:44 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,026,884 times
But the police unions are telling us that they are understaffed and we are in danger because of it.

The other cops who looked the other way at this should be disciplined as well. The covering up for each other is just another example of "professional courtesy" ie corruption.

Old 05-03-2012, 07:09 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,995,398 times
Quote:
They should charge Tedesco with Grand Larceny and Defrauding the Government (Penal Law Criminal Charges), as well as hit the Sergeant with Failure to Supervise (PD Admin Charge.) In regards to his pension at the very least it should be reduced since he wasn't out earning his salary during the times he was shacking up.

This guy had more than half a month to chase tail on his off duty time. He definitely didn't need to do it on duty and I wouldn't have covered for him. It's one thing to cover for someone if they have important personal business or an emergency to tend to, but this is a completely different animal.

They can't check the GPS without a complaint because half the time they don't work. Many times they have shown cars across the country or in the ocean. Nobody uses them.
Intersting. Sounds like something a police union lawyer came up with. My former employer (a non-profit) used the cheapest cell phone GPS tracking out there for our fleet of vehicles and had no issues with accuracy. It gave actual location when available and if not available (indoors, etc) gave the nearest cell tower reading which was generally in the vicinity. Hardly "across the country or in the ocean."

Old 05-03-2012, 08:23 AM

267 posts, read 598,470 times
Only facts that I would care about is that he was doing it on the clock....Who would care otherwise. Two adults doing adult stuff just that one was/is married. Dude could have, should have made his visits before or after work

Old 05-03-2012, 10:17 AM

119 posts, read 257,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
Intersting. Sounds like something a police union lawyer came up with. My former employer (a non-profit) used the cheapest cell phone GPS tracking out there for our fleet of vehicles and had no issues with accuracy. It gave actual location when available and if not available (indoors, etc) gave the nearest cell tower reading which was generally in the vicinity. Hardly "across the country or in the ocean."
It doesn't work like a regular GPS, it's apart of Nassau's own Mobile Data Terminal System. When the MDT System goes down (which can be often) it messes everything up. Also many times it doesn't update its location so it will show you parked somewhere if you left 15 minutes ago. The coverage in a lot of areas is also weak as well.

Old 05-03-2012, 10:20 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,290,425 times
Quote:
It doesn't work like a regular GPS, it's apart of Nassau's own Mobile Data Terminal System. When the MDT System goes down (which can be often) it messes everything up. Also many times it doesn't update its location so it will show you parked somewhere if you left 15 minutes ago. The coverage in a lot of areas is also weak as well.
They need to get a better one or fix this one then. GPS technology is much better than in the past and there's no excuse for this except they really don't want to know where their cops are and what they are doing.

Old 05-03-2012, 10:37 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,743,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
They need to get a better one or fix this one then. GPS technology is much better than in the past and there's no excuse for this except they really don't want to know where their cops are and what they are doing.
Maybe they should hire a couple of high school kids to put together a reliable, 100% accurate GPS system. Am I the only one wondering why the $500+ Million/year dept in charge of safety doesn't have this in place already? I find that hard to believe.

Old 05-03-2012, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
Maybe they should hire a couple of high school kids to put together a reliable, 100% accurate GPS system. Am I the only one wondering why the $500+ Million/year dept in charge of safety doesn't have this in place already? I find that hard to believe.
You've obviously never worked for any municipality.

Old 05-03-2012, 01:44 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,743,442 times
Quote:
You've obviously never worked for any municipality.
You've obviously never worked for anything other than a public municipality.

10 companies using GPS | Socialnomics

Old 05-03-2012, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
You've obviously never worked for anything other than a public municipality.

10 companies using GPS | Socialnomics
No doubt that it's inefficient, however that's how municipalities do things when they are obligated to purchase from the lowest bidder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: