Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2012, 06:03 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,364,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalDiva View Post
California is appealing to many people because of the weather and beaches. Who doesn't want to live and work in rear round 60-85 degree weather?? LI is overshadowed because people strive to move and live in NYC, which many non NYers define as just the borough of Manhattan.

I wouldn't want to live anywhere else..I have lived in upstate NY, South America (my grandmother lives in SA), and Paris, France. None of those places appealed to me like NYC. Yeah high taxes suck but that's the price I pay for having access to beaches in the summer and world renowned Broadway shows and world class museums within a 45 min- 1 hr min drive of my house. To me, it's the best f both worlds.
Cali didn't appeal to me at all! It was nice but I could never live there plus I thought the people were kind of pretentious. NYers can be rude but I don't mind stopping and giving someone directions every once on a while. I didn't get any warm feelings or any hospitality or anything when I was in Cali... Even from ppl who knew I was not from there.

Last edited by Jdawg8181; 06-19-2012 at 06:13 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2012, 08:53 AM

245 posts, read 495,449 times
I would love to get off the island and move down to the Carolinas, but can't until kids finish school. By the time I move my taxes will be over $1000 a month and LIPA just kills me now. Our semi-plan is to pay off NY house use that extra $800-1000 a month to buy a second/retirment house somewhere warm. Our problem can't afford a vacation to these places now, so we'll be saving for the future. DH is self-employed and could work anywhere so we'll see what the future holds.

Old 06-19-2012, 09:06 AM
GPC

1,308 posts, read 3,411,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarag View Post
LIPA just kills me now.
I didn't realize how expensive energy costs were on Long Island until I moved to NC. I expected housing and property taxes to be much lower but I was pleasantly surprised when my first gas and electric bills arrived. I'm now paying less than half each month of what I was paying to LIPA and National Grid when I lived in NHP.

Old 06-19-2012, 09:47 AM

428 posts, read 969,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Miami is gross now... Real estate has plummeted, all the Cubans have moved in. Nothing against Cubans but I would not move to Miami if you paid me. Miami used to be so nice... It's such a shame how bad it's getting.

Phoenix and Vegas are too hot!!

I hate the Carolina's... What awful, depressed, bible-toting places!
Huh? You seem really nice, and it's confusing to see you write this. I'm born and raised in Miami. Are you speaking of Miami from experience? B/c if someone said those exact comments about Long Island and never lived there, what would you say?

Nowhere in Miami is it gross. In fact, there are million dollar condos constantly being built in Downtown. The houses are beautiful. The neighborhoods are brand spanking new. Downtown is better than ever. The streets and neighborhoods are much cleaner than New York will ever be. I'm Cuban and my whole family is Cuban. The hispanic people in Miami are nothing gross as the hispanics in New York can be. I don't understand why your perseption of "the cubans" is negative. Also, cubans have been in Miami for decades (more than 50+ years). What do you mean, now? What neighborhoods are you referring to? What area have you visited to make this assumption? I grew up having a very luxurious childhood, and although I am not first generation Cuban, all of my family and friends are successful. They do very well in Miami. I don't understand from where your opinion is derived.

With all due respect, you should really make sure what you're saying is accurate before you give someone advice on a city that you have not lived in.

Old 06-19-2012, 10:23 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,760,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millenia98 View Post
Huh? You seem really nice, and it's confusing to see you write this. I'm born and raised in Miami. Are you speaking of Miami from experience?
With all due respect, you should really make sure what you're saying is accurate before you give someone advice on a city that you have not lived in.
Get used to her.

For someone who hates the Carolinas so much, it's kinda weird that she trolls those boards too.

Old 06-19-2012, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millenia98 View Post
Huh? You seem really nice, and it's confusing to see you write this. I'm born and raised in Miami. Are you speaking of Miami from experience? B/c if someone said those exact comments about Long Island and never lived there, what would you say?

Nowhere in Miami is it gross. In fact, there are million dollar condos constantly being built in Downtown. The houses are beautiful. The neighborhoods are brand spanking new. Downtown is better than ever. The streets and neighborhoods are much cleaner than New York will ever be. I'm Cuban and my whole family is Cuban. The hispanic people in Miami are nothing gross as the hispanics in New York can be. I don't understand why your perseption of "the cubans" is negative. Also, cubans have been in Miami for decades (more than 50+ years). What do you mean, now? What neighborhoods are you referring to? What area have you visited to make this assumption? I grew up having a very luxurious childhood, and although I am not first generation Cuban, all of my family and friends are successful. They do very well in Miami. I don't understand from where your opinion is derived.

Whatever though- if it's so great why has the real estate plummeted there moreso than most other places? THAT is a fact.

Secondly how do u know i have never lived there? And if u love it so much, why did u leave? It's not what it once was- and I used to love it there.

Old 06-19-2012, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Get used to her.

For someone who hates the Carolinas so much, it's kinda weird that she trolls those boards too.
Lol the Carolininians are obsessed with god and the bible. Venture out- there's more to life than the church and the bible.

Old 06-19-2012, 11:28 AM
GPC

1,308 posts, read 3,411,222 times
Quote:
Lol the Carolininians are obsessed with god and the bible. Venture out- there's more to life than the church and the bible.
I don't find that to be true at all. I was raised Catholic and attended Catholic schools but I don't consider myself to be a religious person and am not a church-goer. None of my neighbors have pushed their religious beliefs on me nor do I find people here to be obsessed with religion. Maybe other parts of North Carolina are like that but it's just not that way in the Triangle area.

Old 06-19-2012, 11:29 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,243,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Get used to her.

Some people are lucky, they know everything about everything.

Old 06-19-2012, 11:29 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,021,816 times
Quote:
30+, unmarried, and living in an apartment in Hempstead... spewing generalizations and stereotypes as "knowledge". What experience could you possibly have to give others advice on where to live and raise a family?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island