U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 04:51 PM

151 posts, read 164,614 times
Default A Defeated School Budget Now Means Zero (0) Tax Increase!

Apparently now if a School Budget is defeated the District can bring it for only one more re-vote. If the re-vote is defeated then the previous years budget goes into effect meaning a zero (0) increase in school taxes!

Vecchio: Voters' 'no' could mean something
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2012, 05:19 PM

839 posts, read 1,105,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pool0890 View Post
Apparently now if a School Budget is defeated the District can bring it for only one more re-vote. If the re-vote is defeated then the previous years budget goes into effect meaning a zero (0) increase in school taxes!

oh no! what about the children ???

Old 05-07-2012, 05:21 PM

277 posts, read 194,316 times
So with a zero increase in taxes, you could easily see some big cuts, as many things go up in costs (heating costs, teacher salaries, etc) plus a district might receive less from the state than the previous year.

Since those have to be paid for, cuts in other areas have to be made.

Those reserves that the author of the op-ed talks about being tapped in to, are already being tapped in to in many cases. Additionally, you don't want to drain those reserves in case there are unplanned expenses (roof of a school building starts leaking, higher than expected heating costs, etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pool0890 View Post

Old 05-07-2012, 05:23 PM

92 posts, read 211,705 times
I have no problem voting yes in a good district. But I want transparancy. If they say we want to increase your taxes say 2% but we have no idea where the money will go, then I have a problem with that. I don't mind districts keeping money in reserve but if the additional taxes are going to be used strictly for teacher and administration raises, then I want more accountability. I value the district I am in. It keeps the home values in my town up so I don't want people just voting down a budget year after year. In turn I don't want to give them a blank check so they can negotiate sweetheart contracts knowing we will just hand them a raise. It is no wonder the unions are behind "yes" votes.

Old 05-07-2012, 07:17 PM

27 posts, read 16,496 times
I have no problem cutting off the schools in my or any other district on LI. The schools are bloated over-funded and hurting property values, not adding to them.

I just got the high school budget in my area and it is almost 20k per student for an average school and average outcome. This is pure insanity. Not to mention that this is a fee you are paying every year you own the home weather or not you have children.

My school tax is almost 8K now. Over ten years I will be putting almost 100K into the schools as this number is sure to increase.

Lie #1: schools bring up property values. Well not really.

School taxes have become such a burden that it has cut into purchasing power. If you are paying 10K for schools that is 100K you can't put into the purchase price of the home. That could be money towards the purchase price, that you are loosing.

Lie #2: High taxes keeps the riff raff out of the area. This is blatant bigotry in my opinion and I want no part of it.

People should have to take a class in civics, economics, and government before they are allowed to vote on the school budget, IMHO.

Old 05-07-2012, 07:32 PM

152 posts, read 129,617 times
I completely agree with Lou.
I'm sick of people believing that your property value will stay high if you keep the school district "strong" by voting yes. I'm in the process of selling and will have to continue to lower my asking price because the buyers feel 12,000 in taxes is too high. It is too high!!!
But the sheep will head in and vote yes....Baaaaaaaaaaa!

Old 05-07-2012, 08:37 PM

323 posts, read 551,399 times
In most districts, kiss any extra curricular activities goodbye if the budget is cut. The teachers and administration contracts are already negotiated whether the budget passes or fails. Next people will be complaining that there are no after school activities for their kids.

Old 05-07-2012, 08:45 PM

840 posts, read 1,105,112 times
if you have kids and vote no, shame on you. if you live on long island and don't have kids, move

Old 05-07-2012, 09:19 PM

839 posts, read 1,105,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raiser View Post
In most districts, kiss any extra curricular activities goodbye if the budget is cut. The teachers and administration contracts are already negotiated whether the budget passes or fails. Next people will be complaining that there are no after school activities for their kids.
true , but in many cases there will be an increased numbers of teachers being laid off if the budgets do not pass.

Old 05-08-2012, 05:42 AM

122 posts, read 101,979 times
You all have "drank too much of the water". Please stop with the poor children routine. The gov't supports the school district. When we volunteer to give them more of our money, they save the funds. Our own gov't officials have advised us to vote no. But the "sheep" will vote yes anyway.
Shame on Long Islanders for being so gulliable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island