Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 11:48 PM

1,919 posts, read 7,106,564 times

Advertisements

Opening the door to the biggest recreational project ever proposed on Long Island, Riverhead officials have picked the firm to build a huge theme park and resort featuring a 350-foot indoor ski mountain that could be seen for miles.

The project would transform 755 acres, one of the last remaining large vacant parcels in downstate New York.

Riverhead's town board, hoping to lure millions of dollars and tens of thousands of tourists, voted 4-1 to start negotiations with Riverhead Resorts to build the theme park, including a water park and sports complex, in Calverton.

Town board chooses indoor ski mountain plan for Calverton property -- Newsday.com (broken link)

ETA - Didn't realize someone posted this below
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2007, 03:33 AM

1,058 posts, read 3,487,555 times
Another Dumb idea for Long Island. What about some real industries that will provide good paying jobs. This ski resort will only create low paying jobs and will be too expensive for the average working class Long Islander to enjoy anyway.

Old 09-20-2007, 05:13 AM

1,876 posts, read 2,675,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbres View Post
Another Dumb idea for Long Island. What about some real industries that will provide good paying jobs. This ski resort will only create low paying jobs and will be too expensive for the average working class Long Islander to enjoy anyway.
Amen Nbres

Hoo ray for McJobs....Hoo Ray for Stupid!!!!!!!

Rivehead has whored itself out to an entirely new low.
(Maybe they can squeeze yet another traffic circle in there just to maintain the aesthetic of futility.)

Wheres Steve Levy in this.
Affordability my A$$.

Microsoft..No ...Oracle..No.....IBM...No.
Amusement parks...thats what we need to cover our oppressive taxes.
God knows SplishSplash is attracting a quality jobs (and clientele) to Suffolk county.

F Cardinale.

Doomed.

C

Last edited by clamboy; 09-20-2007 at 05:40 AM..

Old 09-20-2007, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbres View Post
So there is NOTHING positive in this? Having a fun and unique attraction will not benefit LI in anyway? And I disagree about it being too expensive for the average LI'er to enjoy.

Everyone I know in LI (mostly 30 somethings who bought their house within the last 1-5 yrs) has the money to go on vacations, etc and I certainly don't associate with only the rich on LI, that is for sure.

Old 09-20-2007, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glad2BHere View Post
So there is NOTHING positive in this? Having a fun and unique attraction will not benefit LI in anyway? And I disagree about it being too expensive for the average LI'er to enjoy.

Everyone I know in LI (mostly 30 somethings who bought their house within the last 1-5 yrs) has the money to go on vacations, etc and I certainly don't associate with only the rich on LI, that is for sure.
Youve got to be kidding me.
I dont know a single 30 something(who bought a house in the last 5 years) that's leisure class, without the benefit of a wealthy family on LI.

What I do see is 2 incomes to survive, kids being raised by TutorTime,and a suffering and vanishing Middle Class.

Let them eat cake

C

Old 09-20-2007, 08:35 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,395,137 times
At least I don't have to fly to Dubai to do some indoor skiing.

I thought they were trying to make that area more of a tourist attraction and it wasn't necessarily aimed at Long Islanders per se?

As for the afforability for Long Islanders, is it going to cost that much more than a day at Splish Splash?

Old 09-20-2007, 08:36 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,395,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clamboy View Post
I dont know a single 30 something(who bought a house in the last 5 years) that's leisure class, without the benefit of a wealthy family on LI.
I have to disagree with you. I think there are more families then you realize that can afford and enjoy those activites.

Old 09-20-2007, 08:39 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,141,532 times
I vacation on the Island during the summer, but an indoor ski run has no interest for me.

Old 09-20-2007, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
I have to disagree with you. I think there are more families then you realize that can afford and enjoy those activites.
I know...Im one of them.
We vacation regularly....but I bought modestly pre boom.

With the cavest being "bought in the last 5 years"...I respectfully disagree.

(Carrying 3-4k a month in mortgage eats up quite a bit of the play money
Unless Mommy and Daddy helped out with the downpayment, 3-4k is a sad reality for many.)

I just dont get it...wouldnt you just go upstate to Ski?
Its not like its far.

If our only competition is Dubai...it should do well.

C

Old 09-20-2007, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clamboy View Post

What I do see is 2 incomes to survive, kids being raised by TutorTime,and a suffering and vanishing Middle Class.

Let them eat cake

C

I can list 10 families I know, all work civil service jobs, MANY the spouse doesn't work! Each have at least 2-4 kids, and all own houses in LI. All paid anywhere from 250,000-480,000 for their houses and all go on family trips, some multiple a year (Hershey, Disney, Wildwood, Sesame Place, etc). And I am 100% sure there is not family $, b/c they are members of my family and I know this for a fact. I kidd you not.

Does going to Splish Splash for a day really break the bank? Who is to say how much this Skiing resort is going to cost? And I agree, I understood it was to be a vacation destination, for others to travel to, more than for only LI'ers to enjoy.

Maybe b/c they don't have school loans to pay off they have the $? Could that be the difference between some and others? B/c none of these people have college loans hanging over their heads....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island