Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 05:44 PM

7,922 posts, read 9,146,005 times

Advertisements

I'd check it out. My family is not serious skiers, so I think we are the perfect demographics they're looking for. If you are a real ski bum, of course it won't compare to Stratton.

C, the real jobs weren't going there anyway. Businesses don't want to come to LI because of its taxes, need to pay high salaries due to exorbinant housing costs, and relative geographical isolation. There are no corridors of business on LI of significance compared to NYC. Unfortunately, LI will always be just a bedroom community for NYC, and there in lies its problem: low paying service and high paying governemental jobs with no real manufacturing base trying to pay for ever expanding governmental and school budgets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2007, 12:26 AM

1,876 posts, read 2,675,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fopt65 View Post
I'd check it out. My family is not serious skiers, so I think we are the perfect demographics they're looking for. If you are a real ski bum, of course it won't compare to Stratton.

C, the real jobs weren't going there anyway. Businesses don't want to come to LI because of its taxes, need to pay high salaries due to exorbinant housing costs, and relative geographical isolation. There are no corridors of business on LI of significance compared to NYC. Unfortunately, LI will always be just a bedroom community for NYC, and there in lies its problem: low paying service and high paying governemental jobs with no real manufacturing base trying to pay for ever expanding governmental and school budgets.

It was a bedroom community for NYC ...but the 50s are over.

Long Island 2.0 needs jobs to survive.

If CA can find a way to call LI home.....so could Microsoft, Oracle or Apple.

We need 3 things for LI 2.0 to happen.

1)To make Riverhead our "Hub" and get people commuting Eastward.

2)A bridge to CT from the end of the LIE

3)Hi speed LIRR service from Riverhead to Penn in 60 min.

Extravagant?

No.

Possible

C

Old 09-22-2007, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSkyHoliday View Post
Oh, sorry, I misunderstood it! I thought (especially after reading the online article that said the choice was between the land being used for a dragstrip or the indoor ski park), that your meant that you're a dragracing fan and would have liked them to choose that option. If your emoticon had been a I would have realized you were kidding. Oops!
My Bad

C

Old 09-22-2007, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCGuy View Post
This is a great development and I really hope it goes through. All those times going to Great Adventure saying why doesn't NY have a real amusement park? The East End is a vacation destination already, this will only make it more so. The town is getting $155 million from the sale, and millions per yr. They said the initial estimates will be that this development will make up 10% of the entire towns tax base, possibly lowering taxes for everyone else (we'll see about that). I love how people want to do nothing with it...then complain about taxes. This will create 2200 hotel rooms and 2000 time share units. This is real...real visits, real people spening money not only at this place, but at the wineries, restaurants, farm stands, etc. It's nice to say this could hav been a tech park, but there are plenty of other places on the Island for this.

This is only 755 acres of a 2900 acre development. Recenltly a bunch of land (I think about 492 acres) was sold to a develper to create and retain industrial development. This is also surrounded by 3000 acres of wilderness that is being preserved. I also think that 900 acres is being left undeveloped.

The point is to diversify the site and to attract more people to the region. It is also to be a catalyst for development of other sites in the area. I know they are looking to develop 50 acres of Gabrski airport for office/industril space as well.

This will be a huge develpment for the area if it goes through. Given the dopey NIMBYs, I'm not really sure of that, though.

I vote we build it in Garden City?
; )
Isnt there still some Roosevelt raceway land left.?

We need jobs,real jobs out here.

We already have plenty of reasons to visit....
what we dont have are the jobs to support the cost of living.

You know ...ones that pay as well as our cops so we could afford to live in Suffolk County too,

C

Old 09-22-2007, 08:15 AM

7,922 posts, read 9,146,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clamboy View Post

Extravagant?

No.

Possible

C
Would be great for business and pocketbook, but envirnomental groups, short sighted politicians and NIMBYs won't let it happen. Lot of $$$ with political connections out there. They've already got the apartment in Manhattan, they want to keep eastern LI their weekend Hooterville home.

Old 09-22-2007, 08:48 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,141,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clamboy View Post

Extravagant?

No.

Possible

C
You're living on LI 2.0, you're looking for the next version, LI 3.0.

You're forgetting that we had a booming aerospace and defense industry for several decades. One of the things that drove some of them out was it was a bear to ship stuff onto and off of the Island. It also got pricey to do business there.
So once upon a time LI was very cutting edge and an exciting place to work.

You'll need to add to your list to get to the next version, and include getting across the board costs in line. Taxes, housing, etc. And along with improved mass transit a way to move freight on and off easily.

Old 09-22-2007, 09:05 AM

62 posts, read 205,509 times
One quick thought -

SIZE ...a ski resort of that size will not attract skiers but wannabee skiers , meaning people who will be going to this facility are only beginners and when the NEW wears off there will be very few attendees. The option of traveling to upstate for a day trip is also double edged - You are assuming that people who go upstate all live in LI, when in fact LIer account for a miniscule percentage of skiers upstate, so the LI Ski Resort will only become a short trip for a small number of people ... city residents and NJ residents probably will travel upstate quick than to Riverhead (I work in Queens, near the tunnel, and on summer weekends it takes a full 3-4 hours to comute to Riverhead and only about 1½ hours to get upstate). People go to Vermont as opposed to upstate NY because the NY resorts are tiny in comparison and the mountains pale, so the LI Resort seems to be a gimmick and not a long term money machine to me

Just my thought
SGC

Old 09-22-2007, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
You're living on LI 2.0, you're looking for the next version, LI 3.0.

You're forgetting that we had a booming aerospace and defense industry for several decades. One of the things that drove some of them out was it was a bear to ship stuff onto and off of the Island. It also got pricey to do business there.
So once upon a time LI was very cutting edge and an exciting place to work.

You'll need to add to your list to get to the next version, and include getting across the board costs in line. Taxes, housing, etc. And along with improved mass transit a way to move freight on and off easily.
LI 1.0 was Grumman and Levittown everything pefore that what Glacier and Potoatos.

As for freight....wouldnt a bridge to New England do that?

I tell ya...if LI 2.0 is to be straight up stupid with ideas like an indoor Ski park....we're screwed.

C

Old 09-22-2007, 12:32 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,141,532 times
I think the bridge would have helped LI freight a great deal, but it's time has come and gone so I really doubt that bridge will happen. It would really need to benefit both NY and especially Conn for it to even get to the initial planning stages.

And you're right, an indoor ski park is IMO a very stupid idea. Why not light industrial, why not a mixed residential/office/retail for the land which plays into the idea of getting people commuting Eastward. BTW I live and work close to one here and it's really nice. Welcome to Innsbrook Today Magazine

But LI is stuck with the usual, to quote fopt66, "envirnomental groups, short sighted politicians and NIMBYs", that won't let anything happen that might actually benefit the Island.

Old 09-22-2007, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgc from LI View Post
One quick thought -

SIZE ...a ski resort of that size will not attract skiers but wannabee skiers , meaning people who will be going to this facility are only beginners and when the NEW wears off there will be very few attendees. The option of traveling to upstate for a day trip is also double edged - You are assuming that people who go upstate all live in LI, when in fact LIer account for a miniscule percentage of skiers upstate, so the LI Ski Resort will only become a short trip for a small number of people ... city residents and NJ residents probably will travel upstate quick than to Riverhead (I work in Queens, near the tunnel, and on summer weekends it takes a full 3-4 hours to comute to Riverhead and only about 1½ hours to get upstate). People go to Vermont as opposed to upstate NY because the NY resorts are tiny in comparison and the mountains pale, so the LI Resort seems to be a gimmick and not a long term money machine to me

Just my thought
SGC

Youre absolutely right on all counts.

We might as well put up a go kart track

C
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island