Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 06:47 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,997,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
The only reason long islanders fret over reports of car vandalism is because it is the exception rather than the rule. I suggest you take a look at auto insurance rates to see the difference between occasional vandalism and serious crime.

Brooklyn and Queens have probably the highest auto insurance rates in the country....car vandalism and theft is alive and well in NYC. I agree that Manhattan...possibly excluding Harlem...have low property crime rates but then again..Manhattan is only part of NYC.
Brooklyn and Queens are nightmares. Russian and other mobs are stealing every luxury car not nailed down! I believe there is even something in today's paper. Love the industriousness of organized crime. When I lived in Bklyn, the criminals realized an Acura engine would fit in a toyota frame so Acura became the #1 stolen vehicle. They shipped the engines back home to make high performance corollas and scrapped the metal. That's why we should never de-fund shop class!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2012, 06:57 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,746,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eraserhead79 View Post
Well, it's anecdotal, but except for one incident with a friend who had his car broken into in 2002 in Bushwick, I have never known anyone personally who had a car vandalized/robbed in Brooklyn or Manhattan. Hit by snow plows, yes, but never criminally. On the other hand, I mentioned that my car was broken into in the Syosset LIRR parking lot. A friend of mine had her stereo and AIRBIAGS stolen right in her driveway in Greenlawn and my mothers purse was stolen from her car at the King Kullen in Huntington. Just saying.
Go look at the precinct statistics, it's night and day. Crime is 5x-10x higher per capita in NYC compared to LI. From my experiences parking in Queens and everyone else I know, I can't believe someone would try to argue otherwise.

Old 05-17-2012, 07:42 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
Brooklyn and Queens are nightmares. Russian and other mobs are stealing every luxury car not nailed down! I believe there is even something in today's paper. Love the industriousness of organized crime. When I lived in Bklyn, the criminals realized an Acura engine would fit in a toyota frame so Acura became the #1 stolen vehicle. They shipped the engines back home to make high performance corollas and scrapped the metal. That's why we should never de-fund shop class!!
If those Russian mobsters and other organized criminals had the benefit of extracurricular sports, they wouldn't be doing this.

Then again...maybe they still would.

Old 05-17-2012, 08:42 AM

3,686 posts, read 8,706,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIMA View Post
On the holidays alone they make more than you can imagine, plus they have a union and benefits, and make some good connections.

My friend is a doorman, christmas alone he never does less than 15,000 in christmas cards, forget all the rest of the holidays and his birthday too, i often wonder if the people think he opens the door on his spare time.

All for opening the door and saying good morning mr/mrs ______ and good evening
It's no doubt a good job for people with no skills, education or too much ambition.

Old 05-17-2012, 05:05 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,129,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eraserhead79 View Post
Well, it's anecdotal, but except for one incident with a friend who had his car broken into in 2002 in Bushwick, I have never known anyone personally who had a car vandalized/robbed in Brooklyn or Manhattan. Hit by snow plows, yes, but never criminally. On the other hand, I mentioned that my car was broken into in the Syosset LIRR parking lot. A friend of mine had her stereo and AIRBIAGS stolen right in her driveway in Greenlawn and my mothers purse was stolen from her car at the King Kullen in Huntington. Just saying.
You probably spend a lot more time on Long Island than you do in NYC, and that's why you see more incidents happen to you on LI. If you lived in Bushwick (or worked there), I'm sure you would've had your car broken into more times than anywhere on LI. The stats speak for themselves. The area with the highest crime rate is Hempstead and that's only as bad as Crown Heights. It's nowhere near as bad as Brownsville, East NY, Morrisania, Hunts Point, etc. And aside from that, it's only one area.

I mean, like you said, it's anecdotal. I remember somebody say that they were robbed and beaten senseless in Wantagh, but they walked through Brownsville, Brooklyn and some people actually helped him get to the LIRR. Obviously we know that Wantagh is much safer than Brownsville.

Old 05-17-2012, 05:52 PM

I lived in a nice area of Brooklyn, I cant remember how many times my car windows were broken, antenna snapped off, decals taken etc. This was just so common. In 20 years of living on Long Island my car has never been touched even having parked it at the station all these years.

Old 05-17-2012, 06:25 PM

999 posts, read 2,357,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
It's no doubt a good job for people with no skills, education or too much ambition.

When you pay bills do they give you off because you have ambition or skills or education ?

Old 05-17-2012, 06:53 PM

Id answer you but Im not sure what you mean? Who is going to give me "off" because I pay a bill?

Old 05-17-2012, 06:58 PM

75 posts, read 142,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
You probably spend a lot more time on Long Island than you do in NYC, and that's why you see more incidents happen to you on LI. If you lived in Bushwick (or worked there), I'm sure you would've had your car broken into more times than anywhere on LI. The stats speak for themselves. The area with the highest crime rate is Hempstead and that's only as bad as Crown Heights. It's nowhere near as bad as Brownsville, East NY, Morrisania, Hunts Point, etc. And aside from that, it's only one area.

I mean, like you said, it's anecdotal. I remember somebody say that they were robbed and beaten senseless in Wantagh, but they walked through Brownsville, Brooklyn and some people actually helped him get to the LIRR. Obviously we know that Wantagh is much safer than Brownsville.
Actually, I live in Brooklyn and spend 90% of my free time there. I and park my late model Volvo there nightly. While I'm fortunate enough to have a driveway, there are luxury cars parked on my block every night. Except for an occasional hit and run or snow plow incident, cars are very safe there. Trust me, if an incident like a car or house break-in happens it's big news! Guess what, I don't park my car overnight in Crown Heights. Comparing all of NYC to Brownsville, East NY, Morrisania, Hunts Point, etc. is like comparing all of LI to Hempstead or Wyndanch. It's ignorant to make the generalization like the OP did that all of NYC is a crime ridden slum.

Old 05-17-2012, 07:01 PM

You explain that to your insurance company. I guess that is why on Long Island we probably pay less than half of your insurance bill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island