Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2007, 02:53 PM

105 posts, read 494,369 times

Advertisements

Most of the posts I've read here re: the supposed minimum salary requirements to live on Long Island 'without strugging', seem to be geared towards families with children, or young couples who will be having children in the future. I haven't seen any opinions about the 'minimum salary needed' for older couples (late 50s and older) who are in a different situation entirely.

In your opinion as a current Long Island resident: Would a couple whose income AFTER TAXES is in the $45-50,000 range, their children grown and living elsewhere, NO DEBT (no mortgage, no auto loans, no credit card debt) WHATSOEVER, no expensive vices and who live a quiet stay-at-home lifestyle by personal preference, be able to afford to live in an all- or predominately-white upper middle class area of Suffolk County without 'struggling' as most people on this forum define that term? This presupposes property taxes of approximately $10,000/yr and home/auto insurance costs of approximately $5000/yr.

Logically this should seem quite possible to do on Long Island, given the conditions I describe above. Do you agree, and if not, please explain in detail why not. Thanks for all input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2007, 03:35 PM

1,917 posts, read 7,080,482 times
Absolutely.

I have know many people I used to work with/family members in that age bracket, in that exact position. For those who also now get SS, they are really living very comfortably. I know some who are hiding their money in their mattresses, lol.

Old 12-25-2009, 10:16 PM

7 posts, read 40,775 times
if you have a stay at home life youll just get by...but it might be worth it..longisland is not a good place to raise kids anymore but people in there 50s withno kids that NET,1000-1200 a week can have a nice life on long island,

Old 12-27-2009, 11:53 AM

130 posts, read 557,984 times
Along these same lines, is anyone familiar with a law on LI that allows senior citizens to legally rent out an apartment in their home to help with the high cost of living?

Old 12-27-2009, 05:39 PM

44 posts, read 180,191 times
it'll be a struggle like I'm going through now. No extras. Every thought is about next month's bills. Out to dinner is McD'S. No way to live. Long Island will soon be nothing but an outer ring of rich and the center will be the poor and the illegals. Time to go.

Old 12-27-2009, 06:43 PM

152 posts, read 546,009 times
After taxes? So you're talking about $4,000 a month...yes it would be do-able. But only with the lifestyle you're describing, and of course your taxes and insurance won't remain static. My taxes were $8000 when I moved into my house 20 years ago and now are $21K. My insurance bill has also gone up accordingly. So if your income isn't going to go up, you might run into problems later on.

BUt obviously you know the answer to this question. It's simple number crunching, and you're giving the numbers. You are not just asking a general question, you're giving all the variables and leaving few questions (lifestyle, vices etc). So why even ask?

Old 12-28-2009, 03:10 PM

72 posts, read 195,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSkyHoliday View Post
In your opinion as a current Long Island resident: Would a couple whose income AFTER TAXES is in the $45-50,000 range, their children grown and living elsewhere, NO DEBT (no mortgage, no auto loans, no credit card debt) WHATSOEVER, no expensive vices and who live a quiet stay-at-home lifestyle by personal preference, be able to afford to live in an all- or predominately-white upper middle class area of Suffolk County without 'struggling' as most people on this forum define that term? This presupposes property taxes of approximately $10,000/yr and home/auto insurance costs of approximately $5000/yr.
Just some estimates in my head of what electric, gas and water might be without any of my kids in the house.

Electric - $250 a month ?
Gas/Oil - $200 a month ?
Water - $500-800 a year (depending on pool/irrigation use)
Groceries/consumables - $100 a week?
Gas - $35 a week?
-------------------------

$16,560 annually before insurance and taxes, so you're looking at around $32,000 a year in expenses? These are all really rough numbers of course. I didn't add any "float values" for entertainment or eating out so stick another $1000 on top of that .

Old 12-29-2009, 10:59 AM

1,615 posts, read 3,569,166 times
Quote:
Most of the posts I've read here re: the supposed minimum salary requirements to live on Long Island 'without strugging', seem to be geared towards families with children, or young couples who will be having children in the future. I haven't seen any opinions about the 'minimum salary needed' for older couples (late 50s and older) who are in a different situation entirely.

Logically this should seem quite possible to do on Long Island, given the conditions I describe above. Do you agree, and if not, please explain in detail why not. Thanks for all input!
why?

I guess you can also live on mars if you were in a stable shelter with plenty of food and oxygen.

If you have to live your life to the above restrictions the obvious answer is no. It's ridiculous to restrict yourself to such a tight environment. I guess if you enjoy it then so be it but there are many many other places where you can live a fantastic lifestyle where you are not encumbered by high taxes, nasty weather, and corruption.

Old 12-29-2009, 12:12 PM

12,769 posts, read 18,262,887 times
Quote:

Do-able, yes. Don't expect to be able to take vacations, eat out, go shopping or to the movies. Doesn't sound like too much of a fun lifestyle. If you are happy though, more power to ya.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island