Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2012, 09:49 AM

1,919 posts, read 7,108,270 times

Advertisements

Has anyone ever had a problem with ground bees/digger/mining bees? They look like honeybees but are blacker in the stinger area. Well they have made a home outside my house. We have probably over 50 anthill tunnels outside the front of our home that we see the bees go in and out of. Last year there were just a few and then they went away in about 4 weeks after they first appeared. Maybe only 1 or so got into my home. And last year we weren't really sure last year if they were coming from the ground or just liked one shrub by our window. Well this year we are sure...there are so many! And unfortunately some of them are getting into my home so I am trying to figure out how to tackle this before someone gets hurt. I know they say to water the area to discourage them and also mulch it. We did not realize these conditions (dry sandy soil and no plants or mulch) made the area attractive to them until reading about it just this week. And yes, that area is bare and very sandy and very dry so we know what is attracting them. So not sure if it's too late to address until they leave for the season (we read 4-6 weeks, and last year they did literally disappear in about 5 weeks). I fear if I address them now (flooding the area with water, etc) that I will drive them into my home since somehow there are some getting in. There are just so many outside the front of my home that I imagine some are getting confused in their underground tunnels and somehow making it in. Or are getting under my siding. I found a few in my basement and a few in my home so far. Not sure if the ones from the basement are making their way up or the ones in my home are coming in through cracks around the window (we caulked just the other day to help hopefully) or getting into the ceiling and coming in through high hats. But I can't figure out how they are getting in so not sure how to stop them.

I am in Western Suffolk, any recommendations appreciated and just wondering what can be done b/c I am afraid if I water the area and saturate it, or mulch it, I might drive more bees to go further underground and get into my home.

Last edited by Glad2BHere; 05-22-2012 at 10:02 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2012, 10:03 AM

909 posts, read 1,837,107 times
I had a bunch of these last year while doing construction and the grounds not finished. These were pretty large about the length of a cork. I was able to take care of them with a tennis racket and blowtorch.

Old 05-22-2012, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galicia#1 View Post
I had a bunch of these last year while doing construction and the grounds not finished. These were pretty large about the length of a cork. I was able to take care of them with a tennis racket and blowtorch.

I think those are more of the carpenter bee kind. These are smaller, a little bigger than a honeybee or so. I have read about those as well, but these are different I think. And there are just so many, at least 50 -100 tunnels I guess.

Old 05-22-2012, 11:10 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,032,823 times
Not that this probably helps much, but everything I just read online about these guys seems to say they are pretty much harmless and will probably go away soon. Also, they are beneficial bees, not wasps which basically should be annihilated. .

You could just wait for the activity to die down and then flood everything and put some plants in..or you could just do that now if you hate the environment . .

Most likely they are getting into your house through cracks or sneaking into open doors.

Old 05-22-2012, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Not that this probably helps much, but everything I just read online about these guys seems to say they are pretty much harmless and will probably go away soon. Also, they are beneficial bees, not wasps which basically should be annihilated. .

You could just wait for the activity to die down and then flood everything and put some plants in..or you could just do that now if you hate the environment . .

Most likely they are getting into your house through cracks or sneaking into open doors.
I also read that females only sting and males cannot. But since we are finding them in our home (one was one our couch last night) it would be pretty easy to sit on one and get stung in that manner, or step on one, etc. When they were just outside, I let them be. But now that they are getting in and we have to be afraid to walk barefoot in our own house or check our couch or bed before we use it, that's a nuisance. Also I have no clue if any of us are allergic. We have never been stung.

Old 05-22-2012, 01:13 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,712,359 times
My dog had an allergic reaction to one. I chased him from their holes, he insisted on sniffing. Grrrrrr.

Old 05-22-2012, 01:28 PM

939 posts, read 2,680,990 times
Get two or three cans of Raid Wasp & Hornet killer, wait 'til the bees are not active ( early morning or just after sunset ), and empty the cans into the holes. Has worked every time I had a ground bee/yellow jacket issue

Old 05-22-2012, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
Get two or three cans of Raid Wasp & Hornet killer, wait 'til the bees are not active ( early morning or just after sunset ), and empty the cans into the holes. Has worked every time I had a ground bee/yellow jacket issue

I dont think it is the type that have one main hive underground (like wasps). I read these are solitary bees, with each hole having one bee that was from an egg laid there. I think we have a good 100 holes. So it's not like I can drop a bomb down one hole and get them all, kwim?

Old 05-22-2012, 03:47 PM

3,939 posts, read 8,972,586 times
They are creatures of the animal kingdom. Don't go commiting insecticide. These wonderful creatures are innocent.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Old 05-22-2012, 04:54 PM

1,214 posts, read 3,643,290 times
I called Terminix for our ground bees. At the time I thought we had yellowjackets - they look almost the same as ground bees.

I was told by Terminix that they were ground bees, they don't have a nest anywhere, don't have stingers, and are good for the environment. Terminix wouldn't touch them to get rid of them. The bees disappeared in about 2 weeks, but each year they come back roughly around the same time of season and in the same spot on our property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island