Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 02:11 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCNNY View Post
My friend who just got a part-time leave replacement job in a high school (and she only makes $25K, .
Part time of part time at $25K - and summers off - I'll take it.

Old 05-23-2012, 02:27 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,034,476 times
Quote:
The tax increases have little to do with after school actives and programs. Heck I don't think it's salaries so much (at least teacher salaries, probably administrator salaries). I think it's the inclusion curriculum. Several years go if someone had a learning disability they would meet during the school day with the special education teacher in a group. Now with the new laws everything has to be inclusion from elementary to high school. Many elementary classes are co-taught with one regular teacher and one special education teacher. My friend who just got a part-time leave replacement job in a high school (and she only makes $25K, so not all teachers make a good salary) told me that almost all high school classes are being co-taught by a subject teacher and special education teacher. Instead of taking the kids out of class everything is co-taught with a special education teacher that way those children are getting help in the classroom rather than outside. According to my friend, co-teaching costs a lot of money for school districts. Now people are having kids later in life, and when you have kids later in life the chance of having a child with a learning disability or disorder increases greatly, so the need for inclusion will always be there.

As I stated in the other thread I think another factor is the New York State Government. New York State is very hostile to the private sector. It's not just about teachers and cops salaries its a matter of public vs. private. Unless you work in healthcare or a high end Manhattan business most private sector salaries are peanuts in NYS compared to the public sector. People downstate don't understand how much corruption goes on in the NYS government. It's not just Long Island that has high property taxes but Upstate does too (although not as high as Long Island). IMO it's almost like the New York State government is giving the message "work in public sector or else you'll get nothing out of the high taxes and have a mediocre salary if you work in the private sector." Sounds strange but I'm starting to believe it's somewhat true. New York is socially progressive but not economically, and state government just seems to be hostile to ever having a good private business economy.
The inclusion program is usually one or two classes out of many per subject or grade level. It is not every class which some people might interpret from what you posted.

Of course this is all part of what adds to the tax burden, and I'm sure the unions aren't going to complain about having these extra jobs.

Old 05-23-2012, 02:41 PM

239 posts, read 509,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragazza89 View Post
It surprises me though, b/c I don't understand how parents are okay with this and can still financially afford to have their taxes go up each year? Taxes are through the roof as is!
LOL welcome to Long Island. These days you don't live comfortably here unless your family makes at least $200K annually between the high taxes and housing prices. Take your income to North Carolina or Texas and you'll live like a king.

Old 05-23-2012, 02:46 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,034,476 times
Quote:
LOL welcome to Long Island. These days you don't live comfortably here unless your family makes at least $200K annually between the high taxes and housing prices. Take your income to North Carolina or Texas and you'll live like a king.
If it were that easy most people would have left already. A lot of households making 200K that don't have someone pulling big coin in Manhattan, have a cop/teacher/Firefighter/mta worker in the mix already..none of the above are moving because it would mean getting their pay cut in half in Texas. Trust me, I've looked.

A friend of mine who left NYPD to go to Virginia and be a cop couldn't believe how much he had to pay towards pension and medical.....well, since NYPD pay zero towards those things, anything would have been a shock.

Old 05-23-2012, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
If it were that easy most people would have left already. A lot of households making 200K that don't have someone pulling big coin in Manhattan, have a cop/teacher/Firefighter/mta worker in the mix already..none of the above are moving because it would mean getting their pay cut in half in Texas. Trust me, I've looked.

A friend of mine who left NYPD to go to Virginia and be a cop couldn't believe how much he had to pay towards pension and medical.....well, since NYPD pay zero towards those things, anything would have been a shock.
Well of course the pay will be cut in half, Texas has a much lower COL than Long Island. You don't need the higher salaries there to live comfortably.

Firefighter? Most firefighters I know on Long Island are volunteers unless you're talking about FDNY.

Another problem is the private sector. As I said many private sector jobs on Long Island pay peanuts considering the NYC metro area has the highest COL in the United States. It goes back to NYS hostility towards private sector. In Upstate NY people always say that if you don't work in government or healthcare, you'll be getting a lousy salary. It seems to be the same on Long Island now.

Old 05-23-2012, 03:26 PM

909 posts, read 1,837,269 times
Quote:
That's weird. I have never made more than 100k and have maintained my home for the last 11 years with a vacation to Europe 9 times and a couple of trips around the country.

Old 05-23-2012, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galicia#1 View Post
That's weird. I have never made more than 100k and have maintained my home for the last 11 years with a vacation to Europe 9 times and a couple of trips around the country.
Are you single or do you have kids? That's the difference. Families need to make at least $200K. Having a family = big house and property + college savings

Old 05-23-2012, 03:39 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,088,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Are they trying to get in in your area?

Don't let it happen!
They have tried and are present in certain areas but as a right to work state they have no authority.

Old 05-23-2012, 03:40 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,267,934 times
Quote:
The tax increases have little to do with after school actives and programs. Heck I don't think it's salaries so much (at least teacher salaries, probably administrator salaries). I think it's the inclusion curriculum. Several years go if someone had a learning disability they would meet during the school day with the special education teacher in a group. Now with the new laws everything has to be inclusion from elementary to high school. Many elementary classes are co-taught with one regular teacher and one special education teacher. My friend who just got a part-time leave replacement job in a high school (and she only makes $25K, so not all teachers make a good salary) told me that almost all high school classes are being co-taught by a subject teacher and special education teacher. Instead of taking the kids out of class everything is co-taught with a special education teacher that way those children are getting help in the classroom rather than outside. According to my friend, co-teaching costs a lot of money for school districts. Now people are having kids later in life, and when you have kids later in life the chance of having a child with a learning disability or disorder increases greatly, so the need for inclusion will always be there.

As I stated in the other thread I think another factor is the New York State Government. New York State is very hostile to the private sector. It's not just about teachers and cops salaries its a matter of public vs. private. Unless you work in healthcare or a high end Manhattan business most private sector salaries are peanuts in NYS compared to the public sector. People downstate don't understand how much corruption goes on in the NYS government. It's not just Long Island that has high property taxes but Upstate does too (although not as high as Long Island). IMO it's almost like the New York State government is giving the message "work in public sector or else you'll get nothing out of the high taxes and have a mediocre salary if you work in the private sector." Sounds strange but I'm starting to believe it's somewhat true. New York is socially progressive but not economically, and state government just seems to be hostile to ever having a good private business economy.
Interesting point about inclusion. I didn't know that.

I wouldn't say that unless you work in health care or a high-end Manhattan business that most private-sector salaries are peanuts in NYS compared to the public sector. Some of it depends on the field.

It also raises the question of how national trends are reflected in New York. If you go to the Work and Employment forum, you'll see that private employers paying peanuts isn't unique to New York. You could flip your statement around to say that New York State pays its civil servants salaries that enable those civil servants to keep up with the cost of living (which is determined by many things here), and that private employers in New York are the same as anywhere else--riding the tide of cheapness and exploitation because with unemployment so high, they can get away with it.

Old 05-23-2012, 03:41 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,088,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
You might want to check your facts.
Virginia has historically allowed out of state prisoners to be housed within the state facilities...for a fee of course..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island