U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 09-23-2007, 07:49 PM
 
Location: Little Babylon
3,564 posts, read 4,543,127 times
Reputation: 1170

Advertisements

I'd work first on the bridge to Rye considering it's all within a single state.
Anyway I don't think we'll ever see it until something big and bad happens that shows that LI needs non-city access to the mainland to the state and especially to Long Islanders.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-23-2007, 09:27 PM
 
Location: Mattituck
492 posts, read 87,565 times
Reputation: 99
NO MORE CHANGES !
North Road is hell weekends with all the idiots rushing to Orient to catch the Orient ferry to Foxwoods. !!
You cant even slow down/pull over to get Tomatos. The only thing limiting this to 400 cars a day is ferry space.
A bridge would turn the roads into the Cross Bronx Exy


Put the bridge off Oyster Bay/Cove Neck by Billy Joel and the Dolan family compounds
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2007, 09:31 PM
 
1,876 posts, read 240,947 times
Reputation: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe L View Post
NO MORE CHANGES !
North Road is hell weekends with all the idiots rushing to Orient to catch the Orient ferry to Foxwoods. !!
You cant even slow down/pull over to get Tomatos.

Put the bridge off Oyster Bay/Cove Neck by Billy Joel and the Dolan family compounds
I agree
Thats why Edwards ave would be the perfect spot before the forks.

Thankfully The ferrys go away with a bridge.

C
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2007, 09:44 PM
 
Location: Mattituck
492 posts, read 87,565 times
Reputation: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
Makes one wonder what LI would be like today if these roads and bridges had been build, though most look to have been DOA.
I think it would be exactly like Northern Queens.

Robert Moses may have made a nice beach or two but did huge HUGE HUGE damage to Long Island and its farmers. All his ugly roads and bridges braught in cheap outside goods and compitition.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-23-2007, 11:43 PM
 
74 posts, read 248,257 times
Reputation: 32
As I remember the south end of the Seaford Oyster Bay Expressway was to tie into the Wantaugh State Parkway and the north end was to extend over the Long Island Sound to Rye, NY. I guess there was too much opposition to ever complete it. I doubt that a longer bridge across the eastern end of LI would ever be built.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2007, 06:46 AM
 
1,876 posts, read 240,947 times
Reputation: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger9552 View Post
As I remember the south end of the Seaford Oyster Bay Expressway was to tie into the Wantaugh State Parkway and the north end was to extend over the Long Island Sound to Rye, NY. I guess there was too much opposition to ever complete it. I doubt that a longer bridge across the eastern end of LI would ever be built.
The question is would you support it?

Why?

Why not?

C
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2007, 07:16 AM
 
Location: Little Babylon
3,564 posts, read 4,543,127 times
Reputation: 1170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe L View Post
I think it would be exactly like Northern Queens.

Robert Moses may have made a nice beach or two but did huge HUGE HUGE damage to Long Island and its farmers. All his ugly roads and bridges braught in cheap outside goods and compitition.
Maybe, but Long Island's farmers are a thing of the past anyway driven out by, well, by us. SUNY @ Farmingdale removed the chicken coops decades ago and the barn area was turned into a driving range so that LI is just a memory. You have to look at LI's situation today and see what not putting in these bridges has done, which is isolating it's large population in the middle of one the biggest metro areas in the world. It may have been a benefit when I was a kid but I think it now works against Long Islanders.

Last edited by ClarkStreetKid; 09-24-2007 at 07:29 AM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2007, 08:28 AM
 
Location: Mattituck
492 posts, read 87,565 times
Reputation: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
Maybe, but Long Island's farmers are a thing of the past anyway driven out by, well, by us. SUNY @ Farmingdale removed the chicken coops decades ago and the barn area was turned into a driving range so that LI is just a memory. You have to look at LI's situation today and see what not putting in these bridges has done, which is isolating it's large population in the middle of one the biggest metro areas in the world. It may have been a benefit when I was a kid but I think it now works against Long Islanders.
Here on the north fork just about every property East of Riverhead is farmed. I know some patato farmer using 600 acrs, he has GPS system and all sorts of things to work the fields.
A bridge would turn all these properts onto houses and condo's. Given a choice I'd rather have the Mexican farm workers then a bridge turning the place into another Great Neck or Town of East Hampton.

Look what happened to Middletown and Barrington (Aquidneck Island) Rhode Island when that bridge went up
The first thing to pop up was fast food and Malls
They now have huge goverment, taxes quadrupled, light pollution, Iranian and Hasidic Jewish, no more open greenspace.

Everything not landmarked was devoloped and people there for generations were forced out like the American Indians.
Who needs a worse version this BS the N Fork.....no thanks !
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2007, 09:16 AM
 
Location: Little Babylon
3,564 posts, read 4,543,127 times
Reputation: 1170
Quote:
According to state figures, farming of all kinds on Long Island is today worth an estimated $150 million a year. But that number is dominated by the emerging flower and ornamental shrub business, which accounts for approximately $120 million a year. This number does not include the huge economic impact vineyards have made on Long Island; they are a $20-million-plus business that is growing each year. Field crops -- what remains of the potato crop, tomatoes, lettuce and other fruits and vegetables -- are worth approximately $20 million a year, according to state figures.
I lived on Long Island where the first thing on TV each day was the morning farm report and produce was mostly bought at farm stands. Also LI's have to ask if hooking up to the mainland is more important than flowers and shrubs.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2007, 09:21 AM
 
2,938 posts, read 5,694,223 times
Reputation: 745
A bridge to New England would be one of the best things that could happen to Long Island. Great for the economy. Convenient. Another escape route in case of an emergency.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top