Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 08:02 PM

86 posts, read 234,536 times

Advertisements

Which area in Garden city is/are affected the most by air traffic noise? Reading some of the residents' experiences this sounds (pun intended) terrible and appears that there really is no solution in sight and will get worse.

We're looking to purchase in GC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2012, 08:31 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Western and western estates. Go sit in Edgemere or Tullamore Park on a warm summer day to get a feel for it.

Old 05-24-2012, 08:48 PM

So does Brixton, just north of Stewart fall in this catchment ?

Old 05-24-2012, 08:53 PM

So does Brixton, just north of Stewart fall in this catchment ?

Old 05-25-2012, 05:17 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
I think the worst area is west of Nassau Blvd. You'd really have to check it out yourself for your comfort level. I mean I've been at the GC Country Club and it's looked like a plane was going to land on the 18th green; obviously Brixton is not that far, but it's amazing what a difference a few blocks can make.

Like I said, pick a warm summer day, that's always when they flew lowest when I lived there. Or a cloudy day. Hang out around the area, take a walk with your family and see what you think.

Old 05-25-2012, 06:21 AM

Great idea - I think it's a must do.

Old 05-31-2012, 04:52 PM

5 posts, read 9,187 times
i think thw whole plane issue has gone way over the top. I used to live in queens close to LGA and let me tell you that the plane noise here is nothing. when you liove 15 minutes from JFK you are going to get noise sorry. go live somewhere an hour away from a major intl arpt and enjoy th equiet. You being from Aust. will probably like the convenience of JFK and will overshadow the noise factor which again i think is overblown....

Old 05-31-2012, 07:10 PM

127 posts, read 613,507 times
I think it's overblown too. We used to live 6 minutes from JFK and planes flew over for an hour or so a couple of times a day every 3-4 minutes. Couldn't sit out side and have a conversation. Low and Loud.

Old 06-01-2012, 10:44 AM

159 posts, read 408,314 times
Planes have been flying over GC for at least 40+ years. This is nothing new. It's really not that bad.

Old 06-01-2012, 11:25 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
Everything is a trade off. I have lived in the flight path of the airport for years and you do hear noise. Is it awful? JMO, but no. I think the "problem" with GC, is that the pattern has changed a bit in the last 2 years so they may now only be hearing what the rest of us may have been hearing for years. I live a few towns to the north of GC and dh is from GC. Don't want to offend but just because you live in GC doesn't mean the planes can't fly over your home, which is in my opinion what it is all about.
Aussie, I would liken it to this. There are homes that have the LIRR in their backyards and when trains fly by, it is noisy. Can they live with, I would say so, because the homes are occupied and no doubt were discounted for the trains when purchased. People that live in GC are never going to have to discount their homes due to airplane noise.
I recall you have been posting about moving for a while and questioning different sections of GC and while I don't discount the desire to make the correct decision about an area, (we are in the process of relocating too, so I understand your feelings) there is a point that you have to reach about what you want. NO house will ever be perfect and you can research and second guess yourself to death.

GC is a beautiful area and if I could afford to live there as you indicate you can, then I would not even think to consider airplane noise. The traffic on Transverse ..., yes, a definate consideration, clsoer to Meadow Street..., yes a definate consideration, airplane noise, not even something to think about. Again, JMO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island