U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 08:31 PM

877 posts, read 1,785,157 times
A friend of mine is superintendent of the North Babylon School District. According to her (Patricia Godek), class enrollments are down in the district, so you would expect consolidated classrooms and some teacher layoffs. But NO - the parents want to keep the smaller classes (think 16 students to a class) and not excess any teachers. If they excessed some teachers, perhaps their taxes would actually decrease a bit over time. I'm thinking that what's going on in North Babylon is probably going on in other districts as well.

Also, North Babylon just hired what I would call a "bully expert." Yes, the school district actually just took on an additional employee to deal with the bullying at the high school level. One more salary for the taxpayers to cough it up for.

I don't know about the rest of you, but with parents' demands like that, I don't want to have to foot that kind of bill for their kids. It's way excessive. With tax bills in excess of $10K and up, we're all crazy to put up with it. I'm tired of having to pay for other people's kids schooling. Let them pick up the school tax portion themselves. And the rest of us can keep our $ and put it toward our own retirement - not the teachers'.

IMHO, I think the RE tax increases really started taking off in the late 1990's. When we moved out to Stony Brook in 1985 our tax bill was $2400/year. It was manageable the first 10 years. Then it started to increase a lot from that point on. When we sold our house in 2009 that same RE bill was at $11,800.

Last edited by AndreaII; 05-31-2012 at 09:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 09:25 PM

13,745 posts, read 15,714,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
Nothing while I miss being a waterman the lifestyle is over forever.I left the signed title to my clam boat in the engine compartment as it was worthless after they closed all my clamming areas. I now live the outdoors in CO setting up hunting camps and guiding and work as a carpenter in summers. Bought a sailboat and sail all over Mexico,Catilina Island etc. Went jeeping last weekend and got into snow and fun stuff on an atv trail. Funny when I was a boy I had a newsday route and read a letter to the editor from a LI couple who moved to Durango CO back in 1969 and said keep LI this place is heaven. Well after 2 years on the road I checked it out and stayed. never lived there too expensive. but work there for the money.Mancos is 30 miles west a real cowboy town.I go back to LI to visit but miss nothing except my family. Thanks for reading my story and being interested.
We drove through Mancos on the way to Durango last summer. It is certainly a very small town -- a western version of what Islip or any other small LI village might have been way before the 1900's and millionaires making the shores their playground.

I could see myself living in Durango rather easily. I would call it a mixture of Huntington/Port Jefferson in terms of shops, tourists, restaurants, amenities. Pricewise -- Small starters a shade over 100K all the way up mountain estates to $12 million+

The house I liked is on 5 acres for $350K taxes are $948.16. No typo.

Quote:
Price: $349,900
Area: Durango Rural
Type: Stick Built

Bed(s): 3
Bath(s): 2
Size: 1892 Square Feet
Car Storage: Attached Garage
Car Capacity: 3
Acres: 5
Subdivision: D Bar K
Year Built: 1997
Total Taxes: 948.16
My Durango dream home is a mere $5.95 million on 12 acres with amazing views. Taxes are $12,600.00
Quote:
Single Family Home for sale at 399 S Windom Way, Durango, CO, 81301 Gallery
Property TypeSingle Family Home
Year Built2005
Bedrooms5 BR
Baths7 full BA
Approx. Lot Size12.26 Acres
Sq. Feet9,863
Building Features
Roof: Copper Roof
Stories: Two Story
Exterior Features
Garage: Attached Garage
Interior Features
Fireplace: Family Room Fireplace, Gas Fireplace Logs, Gas Fireplace Starter, Living Room Fireplace, Other Fireplace
Floors: Hardwood Floors, Partial Carpeting, Slate Floors, Tile Flooring, Wall to Wall Carpeting
Interior Construction: Master Bedroom on Main Floor
Legal/Financial
Taxes: 12600.0000

From what I could tell, there aren't multiple layers of government. Their FT employees receive the following benefits:
Durango Colorado Official Web Site - Human Resources Benefits

Quote:
Durango, Colorado is located in one of the most beautiful areas in the Four Corners region. Surrounding areas plunge from 14,000 foot peaks to desert valley floors, supporting alpine forests and aspen groves, rolling mountains rich with ponderosa, piñon and juniper trees and lush green valleys. Sagebrush and yuccas are framed by dramatic cliffs of purple and crimson rock.

At an elevation of 6,512 feet above sea level, Durango enjoys an ideal four-season climate with 300 days of sunshine and moderate temperatures year-round. Winters are usually mild and sunny with temperatures ranging from 10 to 50 degrees. Despite Durango's average snowfall of 71 inches, accumulations don't stay long in town and snow removal is manageable. Spring brings warmer weather and rain. Summer temperatures seldom climb above the upper 80's and rivers and reservoirs stay relatively full in summer, fed by melting snow in the San Juan Mountains. Autumn days are dry and cool, creating wonderful fall colors to view while hiking, biking or driving the area's Scenic Byways.
Yes, I could give up LI TAXES, salt water, pizza, bagels, malls, and humidity (LOL) for the Jeeping, open lands, awesome motorcycling (still have to get over my fear of the Million Dollar Highway) and amazing fly fishing, snowmobiling, as well as having enough land to keep chickens, geese, goats, and dogs.

Old 06-01-2012, 11:42 AM

877 posts, read 1,785,157 times
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I'm packing my bags.

Old 06-01-2012, 07:18 PM

7,851 posts, read 12,245,589 times
Colorado has to be the nicest state there is :

Rocky Mountain High: John Denver - YouTube

Be kinder than necessary for everyone is fighting some kind of battle.

Old 06-02-2012, 12:55 AM

208 posts, read 252,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Sprawl is one of the leading causes of the high taxes , everything is so spread out on LI that you need to have multiple services to cover them. If LI was more Dense , the taxes would be lower...

wrong.....

Simply put.....the two east end towns are the least dense in regards to population and they are the lowest taxed townships.

Old 06-02-2012, 07:09 AM

530 posts, read 614,053 times
Taxes were very reasonable just after the second World War, when so many farms in Nassau were turned into tract home developments. I grew up on LI in the 50's and 60's. By the 70's, things had changed enough that most everyone I grew up with had moved away from the island, or some out to Suffolk, which was in those days much cheaper for housing. Houses were very affordable in Nassau back when I grew up, and I guess taxes were based on the low assessed value of these homes. We had great schools (I went to Herricks) and most folks in Williston Park, where I lived, were blue collar workers with tons of kids and a stay at home mom.

Old 06-02-2012, 07:21 AM
Status: ""Disgraceful and a high school mentality" - by a poet" (set 22 days ago)

3,048 posts, read 2,327,566 times
Most people on LI have taxes broken into two part. The general & school tax. The general isn't too bad imo. Its the school tax that is significantly more. So I just conclude the school budget is way way overbloated.

Yes, I think the union is crushing the govt agencies.

Also I live in north hempstead where there is 3 days of garbage pickup & 1 day a week of recycle pickup. That is 4 trucks that comes by. That must cost a bundle

Old 06-02-2012, 09:52 AM

102 posts, read 166,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Really...cops 'n teachers!
I love when everyone blames cops and teachers. First of all, between Nassau and Suffolk, you are talking about 5,000 active duty police officers and may be another 3-4,000 retirees. Small potatoes when you look at the NYPD's figures. Sure the NYPD don't make as much as Nassau or Suffolk, but their retirement still costly and there is a hell of a lot more of them. Actually, in 2012 alone, there could be 2-3,000 potential retirements from the NYPD. I can't Quote anything about teachers, but I've never heard the word "Pay Freeze" from any of the districts on LI.

Do you really want to know what the problem is..........without calling me a racist or any other derogatory names. THE HANDOUTS, FREEBEES, ENTITLEMENTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We here on LI and all across NY are paying to support those who refuse to support themselves. That's right, I said REFUSE!! According to an article in that poor excuse for a newspaper, Newsday, NY (and LI) have 50% of the population receiving "benefits". I cannot say what kind of "benefits they are talking about, I am not that well informed. But, there are third, fourth and fifth generation welfare recipients reside among us. We are paying for it. The entitlements must end. Cops and teachers work for their "perks". Whether we like them or not, at least those pensions are earned. Entitlements are given from the cradle to the grave (inclusive) without the recipients ever earning a cent. I'd rather see our tax money going to supplement a working person who is not earning enough rather than a parasite. Rant over

Old 06-02-2012, 09:55 AM

8,905 posts, read 9,991,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
The general isn't too bad imo.
I agree - general taxes are not too bad. It's the school taxes, and if you live in a village, the separate village tax. Our village tax in GC was over $4000 a year - that's totally ridiculous.

Old 06-02-2012, 04:57 PM

91 posts, read 108,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by circa62 View Post
Yes and someone's 2nd or 3rd home in montauk... They have teachers and cops in other areas of the country that have better schools and don't spend as much..
Where are there better teachers and cops in other areas of the country?......
I gotta hear this!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island