U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 08:29 PM

7,044 posts, read 6,168,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaII View Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I'm packing my bags.
friend of mine just bought a home a block away for 70K with taxes under 500 a year. We have no public unions here and aim to keep it that way. you want to pay for all their health care and pensions for life then keep voting for it,it's your right but you are all fools,that's why I left LI.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2012, 09:01 PM

2,852 posts, read 2,847,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XL600R View Post
I love when everyone blames cops and teachers. First of all, between Nassau and Suffolk, you are talking about 5,000 active duty police officers and may be another 3-4,000 retirees. Small potatoes when you look at the NYPD's figures. Sure the NYPD don't make as much as Nassau or Suffolk, but their retirement still costly and there is a hell of a lot more of them. Actually, in 2012 alone, there could be 2-3,000 potential retirements from the NYPD. I can't Quote anything about teachers, but I've never heard the word "Pay Freeze" from any of the districts on LI.

Do you really want to know what the problem is..........without calling me a racist or any other derogatory names. THE HANDOUTS, FREEBEES, ENTITLEMENTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We here on LI and all across NY are paying to support those who refuse to support themselves. That's right, I said REFUSE!! According to an article in that poor excuse for a newspaper, Newsday, NY (and LI) have 50% of the population receiving "benefits". I cannot say what kind of "benefits they are talking about, I am not that well informed. But, there are third, fourth and fifth generation welfare recipients reside among us. We are paying for it. The entitlements must end. Cops and teachers work for their "perks". Whether we like them or not, at least those pensions are earned. Entitlements are given from the cradle to the grave (inclusive) without the recipients ever earning a cent. I'd rather see our tax money going to supplement a working person who is not earning enough rather than a parasite. Rant over
While I disagree with entitlements, 2/3rds of my property tax bill is schools.

Old 06-02-2012, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBulletZ06 View Post
While I disagree with entitlements, 2/3rds of my property tax bill is schools.
Now thats the problem and why this ex LI lander will never never be back

Old 06-02-2012, 09:20 PM

2,652 posts, read 2,452,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
We drove through Mancos on the way to Durango last summer. It is certainly a very small town -- a western version of what Islip or any other small LI village might have been way before the 1900's and millionaires making the shores their playground.

I could see myself living in Durango rather easily. I would call it a mixture of Huntington/Port Jefferson in terms of shops, tourists, restaurants, amenities. Pricewise -- Small starters a shade over 100K all the way up mountain estates to $12 million+

The house I liked is on 5 acres for $350K taxes are $948.16. No typo.

My Durango dream home is a mere $5.95 million on 12 acres with amazing views. Taxes are $12,600.00

From what I could tell, there aren't multiple layers of government. Their FT employees receive the following benefits:
Durango Colorado Official Web Site - Human Resources Benefits

Yes, I could give up LI TAXES, salt water, pizza, bagels, malls, and humidity (LOL) for the Jeeping, open lands, awesome motorcycling (still have to get over my fear of the Million Dollar Highway) and amazing fly fishing, snowmobiling, as well as having enough land to keep chickens, geese, goats, and dogs.
Yuck. I can't stand the middle of nowhere outdoors stuff. I will take a crowded urban metro area any day. I'd go crazy in one of those places.

Old 06-02-2012, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Yuck. I can't stand the middle of nowhere outdoors stuff. I will take a crowded urban metro area any day. I'd go crazy in one of those places.
No you would find peace and enjoy the real earth not the manufactured one that need union employees to care for every day to keep it such for you to gaze at and hardly notice. Bah why bother

Old 06-03-2012, 12:33 AM

1,747 posts, read 3,018,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
Now thats the problem and why this ex LI lander will never never be back
Oohkk..that's great that you love your new home, but why are you on this board then? Are you trying to make every LIer feel like crap because we choose to stay? I agree taxes are high and the cost of living here triggers many exoduses from LI, but the amenities and jobs are in NYC so that's where the $$ is.

I have lived in Europe and South America and even if my salary were 1/2 of what I earn now, I would stay here. I love the vibe, energy and opportunities available in NYC. It costs $$ but that's the price we must pay. Even NC and parts of FL are getting tax increases as more NYers look to move down there and replicate NY minus the winter weather.

Old 06-03-2012, 07:04 AM

2,652 posts, read 2,452,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
No you would find peace and enjoy the real earth not the manufactured one that need union employees to care for every day to keep it such for you to gaze at and hardly notice. Bah why bother
Nope, I've never liked the country and wilderness, never will. Has nothing to do with LI, unions, taxes etc. If I were ever to move again it would be near another big city with probably many of the same issues LI has. Just a personal preference thing. Some people like that outdoors stuff, I'm not one of them. Give me urban sprawl and traffic any day.

LegalDiva - well said!

Old 06-03-2012, 07:04 PM

16,685 posts, read 27,882,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
City mouse meet country mouse

Durango's population is almost the same as where I currently live. Only difference being it is more spread out. The town reminds me a lot of Huntington.

Old 06-03-2012, 07:28 PM

29,515 posts, read 12,340,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I agree - general taxes are not too bad. It's the school taxes, and if you live in a village, the separate village tax. Our village tax in GC was over $4000 a year - that's totally ridiculous.
All villages are different, some have police, paid fire dept and that drives up the taxes. The police salaries in the villages are similar to NCPD and villages like Hempstead, Rockville Center, Hempstead are experiencing double digit increases to cover the slaries and pensions and other retirement costs. I do no thave a PD in my village and the village tax is almost identical to the county tax.

Old 06-03-2012, 07:28 PM

7,243 posts, read 9,588,980 times
Quite simple. Name one district that gets even close to 1/2 of the registered voters out for a school election. If, year over year the budgets were passed because the majority of the registered voters actually voted I would feel better but every year, the seniors get blamed for voting the budgets down and the schools have everything from, plant sale days to ice cream socials, to art shows to dance recitals, to band concerts all in the hope of getting the parents out to vote in the budget.

My attitude (as a former teacher, but I never made a career of it) is, if we could find qualified air traffic controllers to replace the old ATC's we could certainly find good teachers to replace some of the benefit hogs that we have in all of our districts today.

I have friends who immediately voted the budget down as soon as their kids graduated and they make no apologies for doing so, my kids are out and I am not paying for anyones else's kid on my back. When they say it, I simply respond, they how should I feel, because I paid all these years for your kids? They simply shrug it off. Years ago the PTA was child centered, what the parents could do to support his or her child's educational endeavors. Today the PTA has become a political organization and the mission has become muddled into teacher protection in the name of keeping the teachers for your kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island