Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 08:54 AM

1,775 posts, read 3,783,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Lol you consider Arby's good?? Fast food is so disgusting!

Anyway I lived in Bellmore for 26 years but I prefer Wantagh if that tells you anything. And Bedford ave USED to be like that- not so much anymore.
LOL. Why the hate toward fast food? When you're in a rush, thats what its there for!! As long as you're not eating double cheeseburgers every day, an occassional Happy Meal from a place like that isn't going to kill you..The only closest Arbys to the Bellmore location is the one off the LIE in Flushing, Queens. And as much as I hate fast food, you have to think the ease of fast food places is a draw. Look at how successful Sonic in Deer Park is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2012, 11:33 AM

294 posts, read 743,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor123 View Post
Could it have anything to with Wantagh not having a downtown?
As mentioned, parts of Wantagh are in a different, lower-performing SD-Levittown.
Wantagh Ave. heading north from Merrick Rd. looks like its about to turn into a "downtown" when you cross Sunrise Hwy, but it shortly fizzles out into a residential area. Bellmore actually has a "downtown" but unfortunately its easy to miss unless you know where it is. Bellmore's downtown can't be accessed from a major road in two directions like most other towns; you can only get to Bedford Ave. off Sunrise Hwy, so it's not as heavily travelled as other main drags that have through traffic.

I always liked the fact that Bellmore didn't have a chain fast-food place (until Arby's just recently) - not that I'm opposed to fast food, just that it made Bellmore different. If you wanted a fast food burger, it was easy enough to drive one town west to Merrick or one town east to Wantagh, it's not like you had to travel a great distance...

Old 05-29-2012, 11:50 AM

4,697 posts, read 8,755,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Letterhead View Post
I always liked the fact that Bellmore didn't have a chain fast-food place (until Arby's just recently) - not that I'm opposed to fast food, just that it made Bellmore different. If you wanted a fast food burger, it was easy enough to drive one town west to Merrick or one town east to Wantagh, it's not like you had to travel a great distance...
yeah, Sunrise Highway and Merrick Rd. are so quaint in Bellmore compared to Merrick and Wantagh....lol.

Old 05-29-2012, 01:10 PM

294 posts, read 743,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
yeah, Sunrise Highway and Merrick Rd. are so quaint in Bellmore compared to Merrick and Wantagh....lol.
I didn't say those roads are quaint, nor that the lack of fast food made Bellmore better. Just pointing out it made Bellmore different.

Old 05-29-2012, 05:26 PM

75 posts, read 227,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
Except the main school in question, MacArthur HS (Levittown and No. Wantagh students) ranked HIGHER (24th) than Wantagh HS (25th) in the last rankings posted on here, which tickled the heck out of us even though it's mostly meaningless.
I'm just starting to realize how crazy all the school rankings are.

Old 05-29-2012, 07:33 PM

745 posts, read 1,504,397 times
They are both pretty equal in my view, so I would go with based on which house I liked.

Old 05-30-2012, 08:40 AM

1,386 posts, read 5,344,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulyc44 View Post
Why do you get SO much more for your money in Wantagh over Bellmore? What's the catch?

I don't think you're looking at Wantagh with Wantagh schools. Generally, Wantagh seems to be priced a bit higher than bellmore in general. there are certian pockets of both that are more expensive than other areas.

I prefer wantagh, that is why i bought here. I'm in the Forest Lake section, it has a nice feel to it with families who care. I'm sure there are areas of bellmore that are that way too, I grew up there. I do think there is a lot more less desireable pockets of bellmore than wantagh, at least to me. Areas where there are a lot of rentails, illegal apartments, run down houses, areas where there were a lot of small houses that aren't in great condition, levitt capes on slabs etc.

Old 05-30-2012, 09:03 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,995,795 times
It's so silly. These two places could not be more similar. More expensive areas, less expensive areas, some main street-ish shopping. Bellmore has 2 registered sex offenders, Wantagh only one so I guess Wantagh wins....unless you count the heroin dealership out of the beverage store down the block from the high school. Then it's even again.

Seriously, both great places to live. Little difference at all. Great schools, oppressively high taxes and both suffering from being in the Town of Hempstead.

Old 05-30-2012, 10:05 AM

75 posts, read 227,553 times
having grown up on the South Shore, I'd buy in either. Just find what you like!

Old 05-30-2012, 12:19 PM

64 posts, read 154,126 times
Thanks for all the input. I prefer a more woody are. Budget is 360ish. Where do you all suggest we focus our search?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island