Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 08:41 PM

840 posts, read 2,445,857 times

Advertisements

we have an in ground, 20 x 40. yes, the robot, the chemicals, etc are a pain in the butt and we've already replaced the pump and filter but after spending the last two days in 78 degree water with the kids and friends, I dunno if I'd ever own a house without a pool again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2012, 10:24 PM

61 posts, read 178,608 times
If you have tons of cash you might as well (that is assuming with some leftover cash you will pay someone to maintain it).
Pools are def on the decline with home buyers and I had a neighbor fill their pool so they could sell. I bought a house with a pool so I'm only familiar with what I have but the added costs:
-the fence someone mentioned is mandatory
-higher insurance
-electric bills from the filter running 12hrs/day
-opening/closing (roughly $350 each time)
-chemicals

I dread this time of year when I don't plan on opening the pool and my family guilt trips me into it even though spending hours vacuuming/testing/wondering why it's still green only to use the pool 3 times all summer. When my kids grow up I'm sure things will be different and the pool will be a lot more useful but if I didn't actually have a pool I'd make friends with a couple who did!

Old 05-29-2012, 05:29 AM

903 posts, read 3,579,939 times
We live in a house with a pool and have since my kids were little-now in high school and middle school-they still use and love it. We are moving into a house without a pool and no plans on getting one but it has a community pool. My kids and I will miss it but my husband who spent 4 hours cleaning and trying to get it running yesterday-still not ready today-will not.

Old 05-29-2012, 06:44 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,158,192 times
Have a pool. Would not have another house without one!!

I cant stand the heat, so without the pool on those 90 degree days I would have to hibernate inside. Which sucks even more.

I run my pump 6 hours a day. Very minimal chemicals, chlorinate to the minimum. All is good here.

Old 05-29-2012, 06:47 AM

$350 to open and close your pool? It takes me a total of 4-5 hours to open and close it combined.

12 hour pump run time? if your running it that long then either your pump, filter or both are grossly undersized.

My insurance is $50 more for the pool, per year.

Exaggerate much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepycali07 View Post
If you have tons of cash you might as well (that is assuming with some leftover cash you will pay someone to maintain it).
Pools are def on the decline with home buyers and I had a neighbor fill their pool so they could sell. I bought a house with a pool so I'm only familiar with what I have but the added costs:
-the fence someone mentioned is mandatory
-higher insurance
-electric bills from the filter running 12hrs/day
-opening/closing (roughly $350 each time)
-chemicals

I dread this time of year when I don't plan on opening the pool and my family guilt trips me into it even though spending hours vacuuming/testing/wondering why it's still green only to use the pool 3 times all summer. When my kids grow up I'm sure things will be different and the pool will be a lot more useful but if I didn't actually have a pool I'd make friends with a couple who did!

Old 05-29-2012, 09:38 AM

283 posts, read 581,478 times
Nope! My parents have an in ground pool and we barely used it. It's so much work and a big expense. My kids use their pool once Or twice a week . Joining the town pool is a better idea

Old 05-29-2012, 09:48 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,715,420 times
The OP needs to ask him or herself:
1) Who will be the person maintaining the pool
2) How much time each week do they wish to dedicate to pool maintenance
3) Can they afford a pool company to maintain it for them if they don't want to do 1 & 2
4) If they want to add the expense of heat to lengthen the swimming season
5) If they are prepared to have lots of new 'pool' friends
6) How much free time they have to watch the kids in the pool
7) If they are prepared for losing a portion of their backyard/reconfiguring their yard use

Old 05-29-2012, 01:34 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,997,457 times
I love my ghetto fabulous AG 15ft round pool. Had to rebuild the yard, give the Town 3 quarts of blood and cash for variances and replace a filter, but jumping in and playing with family and kids is worth it all the way. If I could afford it, I'd get a serious in ground, but the town has extracted all the blood I can give for now.

Old 05-29-2012, 01:59 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,032,823 times
For a lot of people, having a pool is a deal breaker..Ie, they don't want to have one. In certain areas on LI it seems hard to find houses that don't have pools. I really don't get it in houses that already have no yard..now it's all pool.

If you have toddler kids, they are scary to have. Not worth the worry, the expense, or the work. If I were to buy one it would be above ground, never inground.

Old 05-29-2012, 02:45 PM

Mine is on a half acre and fenced in within my boundry fence. Plenty of yard left over.

But your right, so many houses I looked at had a little 20'x20' patch of grass and the rest was pool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island