Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 08:38 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,036,788 times

Advertisements

I would never buy a house without an attached garage.

I am not fond of carrying a trunk full of groceries into the house in the rain or snow or cleaning snow and ice off of the car.

I have a two and a half car garage and I LOVE it. I have room for my car, room for storage, room for my lawn tractor, bikes, tools, etc. and room to work on projects.

I also have a 16' x 16' building out back....where I keep assorted pieces of lumber, lawn furniture, rarely used stuff, and friend's stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2013, 08:57 AM

148 posts, read 475,284 times
For resale value, you'll want a garage and basement. Otherwise if you are buying cheap, you'll have to sell cheap....not a great investment...

Old 05-05-2013, 09:26 AM

213 posts, read 728,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholebydesign View Post
For resale value, you'll want a garage and basement. Otherwise if you are buying cheap, you'll have to sell cheap....not a great investment...
i always have to laugh when people look at the home as an investment instead of what it actually is: a place to live.

Old 05-05-2013, 01:13 PM

3,939 posts, read 8,970,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starwind View Post
i always have to laugh when people look at the home as an investment instead of what it actually is: a place to live.
You must be a blast at HOA parties.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Old 05-05-2013, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
You must be a blast at HOA parties.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
if you say.

however i stand by the fact. homes should not be treated as an investment. do yourself a favor read and educate yourself

Old 05-05-2013, 02:40 PM

5,046 posts, read 3,951,250 times
Quote:
if you say.

however i stand by the fact. homes should not be treated as an investment. do yourself a favor read and educate yourself
OP question is a good one and has been answered that buyers prefer a garage (nitpicker alert: there may actually be some folks who prefer no garage).

That is separate and apart from the fact that homes are a poor financial investment (elastic definitions of 'long term' and 'short term' and 'opportunity costs' notwithstanding).

Old 05-05-2013, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
OP question is a good one and has been answered that buyers prefer a garage (nitpicker alert: there may actually be some folks who prefer no garage).

That is separate and apart from the fact that homes are a poor financial investment (elastic definitions of 'long term' and 'short term' and 'opportunity costs' notwithstanding).
i agree the op has a good question. however it hasnt been answered as every person has a different view. in this small sample size the data shows more people want a garage.

the fact people started to make note a home is an investment is what i replied to which is part of the thread but shifted from the op question.

Old 05-05-2013, 11:21 PM

251 posts, read 588,601 times
Quote:
if you say.

Slow your role...... who made you god and who said that you get to tell somebody what their home shoule be viewed as?

Educate yourself, because you look stupid.....

Heres two scenarios for you...... assuming all things equal, can you tell me the difference?

1) Fixer upper home is purchased by a family. Over the next 30 years, its cleaned up, upgraded and well manicured. Its been turned into one of the nicest homes on the block......

2) Beautiful, newly built home in the same neighborhood is purchased by a family and lived in for the next 30 years with only basic, needed maintanence, manacuring over those 30 years .......

pssssst........in case you cant tell me the difference, one was treated as a "home AND an investment" and the other was treat like a "home".

.......and to stay on topic. Ask most realtors and they will tell you that in most scenarios, garages and basements are desired when purchasing a home. As well as helping with overall value and or resale value.

Last edited by noupf; 05-05-2013 at 11:32 PM..

Old 05-06-2013, 03:19 AM

5,046 posts, read 3,951,250 times
Quote:
i agree the op has a good question. however it hasnt been answered as every person has a different view. in this small sample size the data shows more people want a garage.

the fact people started to make note a home is an investment is what i replied to which is part of the thread but shifted from the op question.
Great point! Not everyone has answered the question.

Old 05-06-2013, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noupf View Post
Slow your role...... who made you god and who said that you get to tell somebody what their home shoule be viewed as?

Educate yourself, because you look stupid.....

Heres two scenarios for you...... assuming all things equal, can you tell me the difference?

1) Fixer upper home is purchased by a family. Over the next 30 years, its cleaned up, upgraded and well manicured. Its been turned into one of the nicest homes on the block......

2) Beautiful, newly built home in the same neighborhood is purchased by a family and lived in for the next 30 years with only basic, needed maintanence, manacuring over those 30 years .......

pssssst........in case you cant tell me the difference, one was treated as a "home AND an investment" and the other was treat like a "home".

.......and to stay on topic. Ask most realtors and they will tell you that in most scenarios, garages and basements are desired when purchasing a home. As well as helping with overall value and or resale value.
thanks for your worthless two cents. ur lack of knowledge is showing. u say im being good because i gave my opinion but u doing the same isnt. typical. keep viewing it as an investment if you want to each their own.

ur telling me to stay on topic if u could read u can see the topic shifted and thats what i commented on. i find it amazing how stupid on this fourm can be. i wonder if its just long island or other states this bad

Last edited by starwind; 05-06-2013 at 05:02 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island