Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2008, 07:28 PM

1 posts, read 5,335 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know about the Long Beach School District. My son has PDD-NOS and is in the 6th grade ( 12 yrs old) He has a pretty good iep. He has a shadow in an inclusion program but really he's only with the typical kids for non-academics, except science and social studies. He was born on Long Island, started pre-school in N.J. The school district had a great rep but I thought they were full of themselves. We moved to Eugene, Oregon in 2002 where he began kindergarten and I have been very happy. This year however he started middle school and the jury is still out. Meanwhile my husband got a great job oppurtunity on L.I. and is already there while I stay behind and do research. Also I could use some info on how things are handled there ie: out of district, private schools, etc. Right now we are in a pretty good position because we can choose where to live but I don't know if I can afford some of the places I'm hearing mentioned. More than appreciate any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2008, 12:11 PM

3 posts, read 16,731 times
Hi...can you give me any more information about best special ed schools for children with PDD/NOS. My little one will be three next year and hope to start in Sept. We live in Massapequa. I am trying to get as much info as I can. I only know of DDI, Little Village, Variety.
I appreciate any help.

Old 12-20-2008, 03:29 PM

1 posts, read 5,086 times
I am also looking for a high school that will work with a learning disabled student. How do you get the school district to help pay the heafty tuition?

Old 12-21-2008, 04:36 PM

1 posts, read 5,048 times
Default Brain Balance

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaust View Post
anybody hear of the brain balance centers on long island?

Yes. I went to the lecture. It looks great !

It deals with the imbalance with the two sides of the brain in children with
ADHD and other learning difficulties.

They do also claim to help ASD and Autistic Children but to me, it sounded more like they where working with more ADHD kids.

The methods are very interesting and it seems to make sense.

Go to a lecture and decide for yourself. One package is $5000.

But if what they say is true, it's worth it.

One guy I spoke to at Vitamin Shoppe about a week ago was raving about it, but again...His child is simply ADHD not Autistic so like I said, go check it out for yourself.

~Thomas

Old 01-03-2009, 09:59 AM

93 posts, read 605,952 times
Well for all of those reading this thread Sachem is getting worse all the good admistrators that were hanging on by a thread are being pushed out. The district is a nightmare now. Everyone is completely disgusted and frustrated by what is happening. Hopefully the newly elected school board will do something about the recent teachers complaint filed with NY state about the laws being broken by a certain Coordinator of Student Services. IDEA laws are disregarded and kids are not getting a FAPE just being pushed through. The last good admisitrators are being forced out for speaking for the kids. It is a complet utter horror show now. BOOO Dr Murphy and the school Board for allowing this to go on for som many years! ENOUGH IS ENOUGH! and boo to NYS for not listening to the parents and teachers of this district! It is ONLY about money NEVER ABOUT the kids!

Old 01-04-2009, 08:03 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,766,222 times
I have heard that Sachem is terrible for special ed kids.

I still say that Longwood is very very good.

d

Old 01-07-2009, 06:19 AM

63 posts, read 296,837 times
Default forget babylon village too

we moved to babylon village for the schools. period. it was a huge mistake. i have 3 kids- 2 are "typical" functioning, 1 is classified as autism/PDD. it has been anightmare here. i have spoken to the superintendant on 3 seperate occassions already. we moved here approx 1 year ago.

i was meticulous in picking out a distict that could accomodate the special needs and typical needs of my children. we narrowed it down to babylon village, half hollow and plainview-old bethpage. we loved commack and possibly northport, but it was too far for my husband's commute. i interviewed the schools, spoke to a few parents, etc. i am at a complete loss as to how i was snowed about this district. honestly, from the very first day my kids began school here there was an issue.

so i would not encourage anyone tomove to babylon village-- special ed or otherwise. they specifically teach to the test here and if your child heaven-forbid needs something, forget it...it's always someone else's job and in the mean time, noone helps your child. it's like banging your head against a brick wall here.

Old 01-07-2009, 06:30 PM

9,923 posts, read 23,057,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathicool View Post
1 is classified as autism/PDD. it has been a nightmare here. i have spoken to the superintendant on 3 seperate occassions already. we moved here approx 1 year ago.

i was meticulous in picking out a distict that could accomodate the special needs and typical needs of my children. we narrowed it down to babylon village, half hollow and plainview-old bethpage. we loved commack and possibly northport, but it was too far for my husband's commute.
I'm so sorry for your problems with the school. There are some (otherwise good) schools on L.I. that refuse to provide State mandated services unless either threatened with, or actually taken to, Court. It's a shame!

Half Hollow Hills is one of the best re providing services or paying for it; Elwood School (small areas of E. Northport, Huntington and Greenlawn) is in the early stages with programs/classes, but doing a good job and definitely openminded regarding services and improvements.

I understand what you're going through. I have an autistic grandson (diagnosed at 20 months; he's now almost 7) and my daughter makes sure she knows everything he's entitled to and makes it happen. She's in the Elwood School district and while he hasn't been integrated yet (maybe next year...) my grandson gets lots of services; right now they're trying Tango (language) and the school paid for it, without a fight.
If you'd like more info, just send me a DM.

Old 01-11-2009, 05:53 AM

93 posts, read 605,952 times
Sachem Central Schools Fails Students, Parents and Teachers

Maybe it will finally get taken care of!

Old 01-13-2009, 07:05 PM

3 posts, read 17,767 times
My son is 4 and has been attending Barbara C. Wislon Pre-School in Woodbury for the past 2 years.
They have done WONDERFUL things for him, I am so sad that he is going into Kindergarten and they so not offer Kindergarten. I have no idea what I will do without theses people, this school is ACES! I visited all the others. You should contact them to set up a walk thru, it wouldnt hurt.
Good Luck to you.

Last edited by Dom's Mom; 01-13-2009 at 07:05 PM.. Reason: misspelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island