U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 07:45 PM

1,058 posts, read 2,387,090 times

Advertisements

creese,

Quote:
when you say NB has nothing what do you mean. My son is in a self contained special ed kindergarten class. He get ST 3xwk, OT 2x wk, Psych 1x week & has a 1:1
I just meant for my kid. NB didn't have what we felt our child needed, but the district more than worked with us - NB is great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2007, 11:30 PM

1,876 posts, read 214,674 times
Ive heard Rivehead has a very good early intervention program....but I wouldnt want my kids in the HS.

C

Old 10-14-2007, 10:55 AM

426 posts, read 865,062 times
You might want to consider Oceanside. We have collaborative classes and self-contained classes. In fact, we are taking in students from neighboring districts because we have services and classes that their districts do not provide. We serve quite a large autistic population. We have a KDG center also with self-contained class. Plenty of support staff, i.e. speech/language, OT, PT, adaptive PE, counseling, resource room, AIS in reading and math.

Old 10-14-2007, 07:20 PM

68 posts, read 194,882 times
Collabrative meaning 1/2 typical 1/2 spec. ed children in the same class? Is this the same as intergrated????

Old 10-16-2007, 10:22 PM

93 posts, read 402,641 times
COLLABORATIVE TEACHING (http://www.parrotpublishing.com/Inclusion_Chapter_3.htm - broken link)

I found this........ I think the main difference in Sachem is the "reteach" period where the kids get it taught again. I am not sure about other districts...Anyone else know the differnce between collab and intergrated class placements?

Old 10-17-2007, 11:55 AM

123 posts, read 439,024 times
I believe that collaborative teaching is when the class has both a regular and special ed teacher who share responbility and co-teach.

An integrated class has students that require services, but while they might have aides or get pulled for help, there is not a f/t special teacher teaching alongside the teacher.

At least I think that's right.

Old 10-17-2007, 07:08 PM

68 posts, read 194,882 times
I wonder what the ratio is for a collaborative class, how many typical children and how many spec. ed children? Thanks for your help!!

Old 10-17-2007, 07:37 PM

426 posts, read 865,062 times
In Oceanside, the ratio of special ed students to regular ed students in the collaborative setting is about 20% spec ed and 80% regular ed. So, in a class of 25 students, about 5 special ed to 20 regular ed. This is approximate and I'm not sure what the cap is on the special ed component. The collaborative model has a regular ed teacher and a special ed teacher or teaching assistant in the same classroom. I do not know what integrated setting is. We also have self-contained classes which are entirely special ed students. The class size, I believe, is limited to 12. There would be a classroom teacher and probably several aides.

Old 10-19-2007, 08:32 PM

93 posts, read 402,641 times
I heard through the grapevine Bayport Bluepoint is great for kids with special needs anyone have first hand knowledge?

Old 10-22-2007, 08:09 AM

8 posts, read 27,057 times
Does anyone have any experience with Brentwoood school district. Im having issues with this district. We just moved to Brentwood over the summer.My daughter was in an excellent district in Bergen county NJ.My daughter is in 4th grade and her test scores indicate she is on grade level 3 grade and 2.9 for math.I was told by the AP unless the child is 2 years off grade level they dont really consider self contained.My daughter has diagnosis ADHD and possibly PDD pending diagnosis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island