Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 09:17 AM

1 posts, read 4,727 times

Advertisements

please, can anyone tell me about the Lindenhurst school district for special needs. my daughter is in the 10 .1,1 autism program at Daniel street. they took away her ABA and I'm just not happy with the program. she going to the same school next year and I looking to possibly send her somewhere else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2013, 12:49 PM

1 posts, read 4,666 times
Any feedback on Port Washington School District?

Old 05-16-2013, 01:19 PM

1,199 posts, read 2,868,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by portmom View Post
Any feedback on Port Washington School District?
We have not been happy with the Port Washington School District. They are very deceptive on what they have to offer. If they can ship your child out of district to a private special needs school they will. We had to fight to get our kid sent back to district and they finally did after admitting that they totally underestimated his abilities.

On the other end we have seen kids mainstreamed that shouldn't have been and they are not getting the support they need.

Only after years of dealing with our child do they finally "get" him and only now (going into 3rd grade) is he getting the appropriate level of services.

I would save yourself the headache and look elsewhere.

Old 05-21-2013, 09:14 PM

41 posts, read 117,588 times
I was told by a Port Washington Special Education School District Administrator that 7% of the school district's special education students are sent out of district to attend special education schools. That % seems high. From my dealing with the school district that staff is not used to children with more significant issues. Some staff members including special education staff have made rude and inappropriate comments. I feel that special needs children are treated as second class citizens. The school district cares more about it's public image and test schools. We have dealt with non compliance to special ed. laws ( I filled a complaint against the school district with the state and consulted with a special education attorney). There is little inclusion. Most of the children at Sousa Elementary are above average to begin with. (There are no students with classic autism ,CP or Down's Syndrome.) The school is very segregated.

Old 05-22-2013, 07:51 AM

1,199 posts, read 2,868,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLSJ View Post
I was told by a Port Washington Special Education School District Administrator that 7% of the school district's special education students are sent out of district to attend special education schools. That % seems high. From my dealing with the school district that staff is not used to children with more significant issues. Some staff members including special education staff have made rude and inappropriate comments. I feel that special needs children are treated as second class citizens. The school district cares more about it's public image and test schools. We have dealt with non compliance to special ed. laws ( I filled a complaint against the school district with the state and consulted with a special education attorney). There is little inclusion. Most of the children at Sousa Elementary are above average to begin with. (There are no students with classic autism ,CP or Down's Syndrome.) The school is very segregated.
What this person is saying is totally true. I'm almost certain that in another school district my child would be in a 50/50 inclusion class, instead he is in a 12:1 class despite having an IQ of nearly 120 and doing well academically! It's because he doesn't exhibit the behavior of a "typical student": typical in this district is the conformist mentality found in this largely upper middle class community. Diversity is pretty narrowly defined in Port Washington, don't let their PC boasting fool you.

Old 06-12-2013, 10:58 AM

10 posts, read 15,183 times
Could anyone please provide information on the alternative schools out on the East End? My son has ADHD, behavioral and anxiety. How is BOCES out there? Thank you!

Old 06-14-2013, 03:07 PM

1 posts, read 4,499 times
Hello,
Im wondering if anyone has experience with HASC or Little Village. My son is 2.5 and he qualifies for CPSE and can get a spot at these two schools. He was diagnosed with mild Autism but his therapists (through EI) say that he is very high functioning and needs good role models and shouldn't be in a 6, which is what HASC is offering us for September. Anyone's children go to these schools? What do you think?

Old 06-16-2013, 07:05 PM

11,630 posts, read 12,691,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by siamfairy View Post
Hello,
Im wondering if anyone has experience with HASC or Little Village. My son is 2.5 and he qualifies for CPSE and can get a spot at these two schools. He was diagnosed with mild Autism but his therapists (through EI) say that he is very high functioning and needs good role models and shouldn't be in a 6, which is what HASC is offering us for September. Anyone's children go to these schools? What do you think?
I can recommend Little Village, especially for speech/language pathology. HASC is good too. If your child is high-functioning, at some point you might consider transitioning him part-time into a regular pre-school program for a few hours each week (if he is able to adapt to a change in routine). This way he has classmates that can be mainstream role models, as well. Many high functioning Autistic children do manage splitting their time, if not at age 2.5, then when he gets a little older.

You might want to check out Variety if it's not too far and they have available spots.

Old 06-16-2013, 07:10 PM

214 posts, read 467,913 times
I also am pretty sure that HASC and little village both have some inclusion classrooms, where special needs and 'regular' kids are in class together (obviously not all the classrooms are inclusion/integrated - most are 10-1-1 or 8-1-2 or whatever is needed)

Old 06-17-2013, 07:52 AM

11,630 posts, read 12,691,000 times
HASC and Little Village are dedicated special ed programs. They do not enroll children without an IEP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island