Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Seeking opinions on what services people would give up for lower taxes, school sports, clubs, extracurricular activities, school taxes are large portion of bill

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 09:06 PM

21 posts, read 49,466 times

Advertisements

There's no need to give up anything for lower taxes. The government would have to ' trim down ', that's all. They get easy money ( taxes ) and give it away easily too. Stop welfare. Stop giving to the United Nations and other counterproductive 'charities'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2007, 09:21 PM

93 posts, read 606,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
So what services are non-essential?
anything that supports religious institutions, my taxes should not support religion. I make that decision not the gov't.

Old 09-26-2007, 10:00 PM
VTP

200 posts, read 955,370 times
As for the town workers, I'm not going to gripe about the guys who do the road work and such. What I will gripe about are some of the people who pretend to "work" in the town hall (like the ones in the parks/permit department who act as you ruined their day when you have the audacity to approach them with a question), or those politically connected types who occupy higher offices in the town. For those of you living in the larger townships, take a lot at your town directory (Huntington's is enormous, for example), and see how many ridiculous (but paid) titles there are. Town Historian? Come on, the folks at the library do a much better job of cataloguing town history, and thye are volunteers! This is just one example of unfortunate waste of tax dollars. There are many others but it makes me sick to look at the directory.

Old 09-27-2007, 06:23 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,778,062 times
How about giving us parents that send children to catholic school a break on the educational taxes. Yes, its our choice, but it is not fair that we pay almost $11,000 per year in taxes, plus about $6,000 in school fees.

Or maybe for each registration in school charge a sliding scale fee ; maybe $25.00 per child ; no matter if they are legal or not.
d

Old 09-27-2007, 06:38 AM

553 posts, read 1,932,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clamboy View Post
Did I mention that my wife will make more waiting tables than she will as a teacher this year?

She started in the restaurant to pay off her masters degree.
She worked in a law firm...she took a major pay cut to be a teacher.

She loves it.

C
Hmmmm. Your wife took a major pay cut to be a teacher. God bless her . she is the type of person I would want teaching in my district for sure. and she should get paid the max. This is the type of person I was talking about. The kind that loves to teach not the kind that is in it for the cash. To the other fellow this is what I was talking about. take care clam Your wife is truly one of the best.

Old 09-27-2007, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgc from LI View Post
The city puts "prisoners" to work as community volunteers (they clean roadways and parks), they need to be trained a minimum of 24 workhours before starting to actually work ..yes, I know it seems insane to train someone to pick up trash but it's a federal law. So, if you get short timers , they barely get enough training to make any headway in saving money and longer term criminals are not the type of people who generally do good work. Also , it's not only the guard's pay that needs to be taken into account , you need transportation to and from locations, workers' compensation insurance (for part-timers , which is what they would be considered , it's an enormous fee), safety equipment and other peripheral expenses. The fact that it is done in other states has no affect of LI or NYC, we live in a completely different society here and have civil libertarians to answer to at every turn.

SGC
LOL that is what I love about NY. funny though I see guys picking trash up for community service that have dwi's, and they have no training? Like I said before though these were just ideas that I know would never happen. peace

Old 09-27-2007, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYNewbie View Post
First, fopt65 deserves his props for a good post. The culprit is pension and health care liabilities.

Still, let's look at the ill-logic of this post. $2000 take home needs to be evaluated in relative terms. In terms of the cost of living in this area, $2000 isn't enough to both put a roof over your head and, well, eat.

Next, the state or municipality should not base its salaries upon assumptions that teachers will live at their parents' house. That is absurd.

As you say, in any job a person starts out at the bottom. But at the bottom should be a floor to support you. Heck, this should be the case with any job. You should be able to support yourself with the salary.

Now, I wasn't saying Northport teachers should be paid more than the national average. The numbers I gave were the average starting salaries in Northport. The average person teaching starts with $36,000, meaning half of these earners make less than $36,000. That isn't enough to get by.

Now, you argue that you want teachers who want to work, not get paid. Are you suggesting that pay isn't an incentive to work? If so, then you are privy to market forces I am ignorant about. Next time you need an attorney, hire the guy who just wants to work. Stay away from the most expensive one you can afford. Why hire the well paid Harvard attorney when you can hire that hard working attorney from Central Wyoming University!

You still don't understand why teachers are less prepared if they are less paid? First, I gave you an example of someone who was well qualified to teach who quit because of the low pay. Second, you will get what you pay for. Teachers aren't charity workers. They have families of their own to provide for, and not in the basements of their parents' house.

Finally, we throw ideas out there for public scrutiny. I was just playing my part, criticizing what appeared to be a bad idea. This isn't sour grapes, either, as you say. My wife is a teacher, but she isn't even in the market for a job. I just know many teachers and happen to understand that they get dumped on each time someone thinks his taxes are too high.
you are a formidable opponent LOL. You bring up atty's ,what about stock brokers if you pay them more that does not mean you are getting better service, sometimes it is the opposite. I never said teachers were charity workers , I think I said I know we all work for money. But look at clamboys post about his wife that is what I was talking about, We need more people like that, not just in teaching, but the world. You cant even put a price on a teacher like that. I knew posting what I did , it would not go over well, but why still have you not stuck up for the town or county workers? They have every right to make a living, just as our teachers do. It does not make them less of a person just because they did not go to college. Think about it .

Old 09-27-2007, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
How about giving us parents that send children to catholic school a break on the educational taxes. Yes, its our choice, but it is not fair that we pay almost $11,000 per year in taxes, plus about $6,000 in school fees.

Or maybe for each registration in school charge a sliding scale fee ; maybe $25.00 per child ; no matter if they are legal or not.
d
sorry but you said it" CHOICE" why should you benefit because you feel our public schools are not good enough? Not to be rude sorry if it comes across like that.

Old 09-27-2007, 07:02 AM

1,876 posts, read 2,666,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY62 View Post
Hmmmm. Your wife took a major pay cut to be a teacher. God bless her . she is the type of person I would want teaching in my district for sure. and she should get paid the max. This is the type of person I was talking about. The kind that loves to teach not the kind that is in it for the cash. To the other fellow this is what I was talking about. take care clam Your wife is truly one of the best.

She loves it..Ive never seen her happier.
Its just a shame she needs a second job to finace her first.

She'll do ok over time.
She never got in to get rich....Ive yet to meet a teacher who has.

I wish we could say the same for our cops

Thanks 62

C

Old 09-27-2007, 02:29 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,740,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY62 View Post
To all the teacher Lovers I did not say anything about teachers salaries . I repeat they deserve there money, I was saying to save on taxes make them work full time through all vacations and the summer.Is that ever going to happen? I doubt it very much. Why does everyone get there shorts in a bunch over that suggestion? Not one of you and I mean not one has come to the defense of the town workers I said to get rid of. They are people too, with families they have to feed. But not one of you cared one bit why? But I say make the teachers work through the summer and you all go crazy.And to that one person who says she went through all those years of school , so has alot of other people , for other professions. You can be a teacher after 4 years . You get your masters for more pay who are you kidding, you also can get a job in plenty of places , but you want one here on the island.If it was all as you folks think , that all teachers do it because they want to educate children and be some kind of savior why not take a job in the city or another state that needs teachers? Hmm could it be because of the money? I wonder. My nephew will have his masters in january and he is teaching allready in albany. How can he do it? And if teachers could not stamp a tax form or learn how to do that in a week I dont think they should be teaching anything. " a teacher decompresses and prepares for the fall during the summer" Whattt???? Are you freaking kidding me. Next time you go to the mechanic how would you like him to tell you come back in the fall I am decompressing, But pay me anyway because I am getting ready for when I have to go back to work. Sorry clam I still cant figure why wifey only makes what she does. Go on any school districts web site and you can find teachers salaries . Tom so what, they start in the 30s, that is decent to start. That is the problem with most kids they want 80gs out of college , sorry you have to work your way up like everyone else. You guys bash cops for making 100k but I hate to tell you that is not starting pay. I know teachers that make 100 k did they start at that ? Noooo they did not, they worked for it. So in a nut shell you folks dont like my suggestion , oh well it would never happen anyway , but not one can say it would not save on taxes if a teacher did summer jobs for the same money and got rid of the full time town and county jobs that are really just seasonal.and that is all I was saying, It was an idea . nothing against teachers at all . and Tom, one more thing every job that people think is cake usually is alot harder then people think. Take no offence I never said there job was easy.
NY62 - I just wanted to point out that I am also a staunch defender of police salaries. Please see my posts in other related threads. I think that teacher and police salaries are easy targets for the uninformed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island