Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 04:44 PM

61 posts, read 269,424 times

Advertisements

I understand completely how you feel about the food etc. I've lived out of NYC/LI for a while now - hoping to move back to LI (my post above is Can you really ever go home again?). She is right - NY/LI "spoils" you - once you live in other places you realize that the food isn't as good, the newspapers are not as good as the NYC/LI papers, the entertainment etc. I hate to say all that but it is true. This doesn't mean the other areas don't have their charms but it really takes getting used to after living in NYC/LI. Its always a tradeoff - getting "more for your money" elsewhere but not always getting the best. I hate to say that but it is how I feel. And yes, there are wonderful places to live outside NYC but you can't compare them to the NYC/LI area or you will be dissapointed. These other places just need to be understood in terms of their own merits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2007, 04:48 PM

1,938 posts, read 6,244,506 times
Florida is the place to relocate to if you are in either Boston, NY or Chicago. However, be prepared to take a pay cut. My husband was a union guy also back home in Chicago-- He took a 70% paycut. There are soo many East coasters here- we all need to escape the blizzards. Try looking in to WAYYY east bradenton (past I75) if you'd like to be somewhat close to the beach. Stay away from anything not east of 75. Manatee county has many A schools out there. Also, Northport, near Sarasota has very affordable houseing and low crime. Have your hubby look into school districts for jobs, carpenters and things like that are often offered via the school districts. They pay isnt great but the stability and insurance is good. You can't beat a gov't job-- and he is NOT going to come near making what he makes as a union guy

Old 10-10-2007, 05:54 PM

59 posts, read 225,876 times
I have been told Sullivan and Ulster counties are really nice and am looking into them myself too. Just checked a little north of there in delaware greene and scholarie but too remote for us. Sullivan is a lot like here, I have visited a year ago, and ulster i am told is less populated but very pretty.

Old 10-12-2007, 07:35 PM

28 posts, read 78,345 times
Default we will be moving too

Hi, we also will be moving out of state. But if you wanted to stay in-state where I live the cost of housing has come down substantially. From what I understand I will only get 320 for my 4 b/r home. But.... I live out east. The schools are 4/10 on bestschools.net. I was born bred and raised here went to these schools but I dont think its good enough for my son. We live in a family community. We will be moving to wake county nc steering for apex. We have been there to visit and its very nice and its all yankees the only accents you hear come from the retail help. Its No Long Island, but a nice place to raise a family with lots of work great schools and low crime.

Old 10-14-2007, 07:16 AM

431 posts, read 2,122,148 times
Default Applause, Applause

Quote:
Originally Posted by sange77 View Post
I'm in FL....yes, I do wish I rented before moving here because now I feel stuck. With that said; My town, Spring Hill is filled with New Yorkers....many of which are from Long Island... a lot of them love it here....a lot of them don't. While I wouldnt say that I hate it..... I don't love it either....it's very hard to make close relationships. While I knew it was going to be weird leaving my friends and surroundings; I figured no bid deal really; I'll just make new friends; well that's easier said than done. While you consider leaving; remember it's much more than a state that you're leaving; it's your life, your ways; your familiarities; your surroundings; what you know. It's so hard to hear that all of your friends/family are getting together to watch a Yankee Game or go Pumpkin Picking, getting together for the Holidays....and here you are in FL....in a gorgeous house, in a nice community with decent paying jobs but feel empty.
Totally agree with you. The idea of having this great inexpensive home (or less expensive by NY standards) gets old after awhile. Leaving friends & family behind is incredibly hard.

Old 10-15-2007, 07:33 AM

76 posts, read 206,211 times
Andy:

You just summed up one of the reasons why I am still here. Thinking about going Northwest, and this (and some other family (kids)) are the reason why the decision is like a ping-pong ball....just waiting for the point to end, so I can decide.

Old 11-26-2007, 12:35 PM

29 posts, read 79,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontwannaleaveLI View Post
I'm preparing to relocate...To where? Who the hell knows!!!...Why? I can't afford to live on the Island anymore. I'd love to go somewhere that I don't hate!!! I'm a NewYorker at heart, but I'm afraid I'm being pushed out. I grew up in Bellmore, lived in Queens my young adult life, and now I was forced to buy a house in Bumbcluck Suffolk, because it was all I could afford and I hate it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can anyone steer me to a great place to live that I can afford.....good schools........low crime.......no trash......my husband's in construction in NYC union.
I

I left long island 30 years ago and moved to Texas. A town called The Woodlands just north of Houston. You can get a new 3000 sq ft house for $200,000. The schools are excellent, tons of stores. The super markets have double and triple coupons all the time and everything is clean... my husband started his own electrical company here. construction is booming

Old 11-29-2007, 12:30 PM

41 posts, read 148,815 times
try mastic beach, just lock your doors though

Old 12-03-2007, 12:36 PM

13 posts, read 21,335 times
Default Nassau Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Peachy View Post
I just moved to NC from LI and I can find all the same foods....fast foods and chains restaurants like applebees down here and then some! I have more choices of fast food and restaurants down here and its good food too! Yes I do miss deli sandwichs and macaroni salad etc. But I make my own mac salad alot and I make my own sandwichs with the same brand name lunch meat. I really miss bagels! But that's about it. I have all the same stores down here that I use to shop in back on LI and more!!! I have all the same here in NC that I had on LI but more of it!!! I really only miss bagels! But my taxes are a tenth of the money and I have a house twice as big with an inground pool and a garage bigger then my LI house and I have a public school system that is awesome and make NY schools look bad! The kids are so advanced here that my son needs to catch up!

But...can you move back to NY? Depends.....My house has already gone up in value down here! But could I afford to move back to NY..probably not with all the expenses of moving involved but we knew that before we made the move. And we like it down here and almost everyone is from NY anyway!!!lol I have met so many LI'ers down here that it seems like home!

I have heard areas around Cary are nice, any info on those?

Old 12-03-2007, 12:38 PM

13 posts, read 21,335 times
Default No Union

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewFLGal View Post
Florida is the place to relocate to if you are in either Boston, NY or Chicago. However, be prepared to take a pay cut. My husband was a union guy also back home in Chicago-- He took a 70% paycut. There are soo many East coasters here- we all need to escape the blizzards. Try looking in to WAYYY east bradenton (past I75) if you'd like to be somewhat close to the beach. Stay away from anything not east of 75. Manatee county has many A schools out there. Also, Northport, near Sarasota has very affordable houseing and low crime. Have your hubby look into school districts for jobs, carpenters and things like that are often offered via the school districts. They pay isnt great but the stability and insurance is good. You can't beat a gov't job-- and he is NOT going to come near making what he makes as a union guy
Union guys are overpaid anyway, thats why General Motors lost 10 billion dollars and fired 30,000 union employees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island