Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 08:13 AM

428 posts, read 967,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayo_michael View Post
Not sure if you're from around here so I have to ask: Affluent, like NYC/Hamptons affluent, or southern/mid-western affluent?

East Hampton Art House fit your budget? Starts at $695/night for the guest room.
Sheesh! Are those the standard prices in the Hamptons? I'm not from NY, so I haven't yet been to the Hamptons.

Is it just a small beach town with nightlife/hotels/restaurants/summer shares? Worth the money?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2012, 08:26 AM

3,686 posts, read 8,690,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millenia98 View Post
Sheesh! Are those the standard prices in the Hamptons? I'm not from NY, so I haven't yet been to the Hamptons.

Is it just a small beach town with nightlife/hotels/restaurants/summer shares? Worth the money?
No it's not worth the money. It's nothing more than pretentious Manhattanites going there to be seen among those that make more money than they do.

Real Long Islanders don't go to the Hamptons. They prefer the North Shore communities..the vineyards, the farms, the bread puddings.

Old 06-13-2012, 08:50 AM

840 posts, read 2,441,040 times
that was kind of my point. i just think describing yourself as affluent is a touch douchey. my wife described us this way to someone and I wanted to throw the keys to my luxury car at her

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalDiva View Post
whats wrong with that description? Lets face it - you dont see many rich or upper middle class folks posting on C-D lately. The threads asking about high quality neighborhoods on LI get ignored, while the posts asking about bottom rung neighborhoods or places like Rocky Point, Massapequa, MPark get many responses. That tells you something.

Old 06-13-2012, 08:50 AM

13,507 posts, read 16,996,125 times
Quote:

East Hampton is one of the most snooty places you will find. Everything is overpriced and the attitude is plentiful. It is a nice little town, but in the summer it is loaded with boujie city dwellers who think it's the "place to be".

On the other hand it is quite nice and the beaches in that area are beautiful..of course you aren't allowed to park there on weekends if you are a non resident.

Old 06-13-2012, 08:51 AM

840 posts, read 2,441,040 times
this is true. imo, the hamptons are hell on earth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
No it's not worth the money. It's nothing more than pretentious Manhattanites going there to be seen among those that make more money than they do.

Real Long Islanders don't go to the Hamptons. They prefer the North Shore communities..the vineyards, the farms, the bread puddings.

Old 06-13-2012, 08:59 AM

428 posts, read 967,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post

rolling my eyes. Jesus. People are that needy?? You need to be seen so that people can think you have millions in your bank account - when you just live check-to-check.

Old 06-13-2012, 09:03 AM

Quote:
rolling my eyes. Jesus. People are that needy?? You need to be seen so that people can think you have millions in your bank account - when you just live check-to-check.
and, oh, lets not forget the polo matches. As we know polo is a very typical Long Island sport.

Old 06-13-2012, 09:42 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,924,364 times
Don't believe the naysayers, the Hamptons are beautiful especially after labor day. It is true, You will find a more relaxed envirnoment as well as more bang for your buck on the fork.

Back your original question, my favorite inn/hotel experiences recently in the Hamptons have been
The Inn at Windmill Lane - Cottages
and
The 1770 House - East Hampton specialty luxury hotel, historic country inn and one of Long Island's top rated restaurants. 631-324-3504
however late summer should be the grand opening of the Rose topping Inn
Bull’s Head Inn : Curbed Hamptons

as for dining, there are so many great places that opened this season and its much easier to get a reservation after labor day. The wineries sometimes have family friendly events, the farm stands will still be open and if you check dan's paper, the southampton press and hamptons.com you'll find events happening during the time you plan to be here.

Old 06-13-2012, 09:48 AM

3,734 posts, read 5,744,396 times
I need more information. What is your family background? (hate to sound like Mao's Communists, but it does matter, in your perception and expectations). What scene are you trying to find? And by 'affluent', are we talking a few hundred thousand a year, a couple of million a year, or a nice passive income off solid net worth?

I remember our first trip to the Hamptons. We were at a lovely Inn in Southampton. But through the bathroom wall, we could hear what sounded like Fran Dresher talking loudly to Andrew Dice Clay. They were, quite obviously, out from 'The City'. They were not impressed by Southampton, at all. The ten-foot hedges, the restrained houses, the restrained people... none of that impressed them in the least. It was an eye opener for me, because I was enthralled with the place (but then, despite growing up in extreme poverty, I HAD poured over old issues of Town & Country and The New Yorker as a little girl....and finally going to Southampton was like going to The Holy Land, for me).

'Dresher & Clay', however, were looking for the new and glitzy...the club scene...the 'parties'...rich people to glom onto for 'connections'... famous people to schmooze. There are other places out there, for that. The Hamptons have their many places for the Rich & Tacky. They have a place for the Rich, Rugged, & Classy. They have a place for the Seriously Rich & Very Proper (Southampton). They have a place for artsy people (and the sloppy rich who use them for sex). They have places overrun with young wannabes from the Financial Sector (and the glitzy rich who use them for sex).

Just be aware that Long Island and Fire Island are not places where schmoozing (by any of its definitions) is likely to get you very far. Rich New Yorkers are acutely aware, out there, of the wannabes and their dreams. Toying with them seems to be a form of entertainment.

Another way of putting it is that being a tourist in the Hamptons is likely to leave you feeling about three inches tall. Going as a peer, and simply having a pleasant stay, however, can be most satisfying. There's something quite compelling about the North Atlantic, and that end of Long Island is a wonderful place to experience that magic.

Old 06-13-2012, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyFG View Post
Don't believe the naysayers, the Hamptons are beautiful especially after labor day. It is true, You will find a more relaxed envirnoment as well as more bang for your buck on the fork.

should add to that...don't believe pretentious Long Islanders.

OP should post on the NYC CD forum for a better response. The ZipCar crowd would be able to respond better than Long Island Wannabees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island