U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-24-2007, 10:42 PM
 
240 posts, read 885,558 times
Reputation: 48

Advertisements

We are considering buying property in Baiting Hollow and would appreciate any insight on how high the taxes are in the area. Are property taxes on the north shore of Riverhead town more reasonable than in Brookhaven?

Last edited by rockypointny; 09-24-2007 at 11:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-25-2007, 05:29 AM
 
1,876 posts, read 1,800,675 times
Reputation: 76
Not so sure.

It aint like its cheap out there either.
More land...yes. Cheaper.......well???

My buddy moved to Jamesport from Sound Beach and hated it, his taxes went from 3500 to 8k in 2 years so he packed up and moved to CT (for Rivehead SD are you crazy).

Although I dont love my taxes theyve held somewhat steady since I bought the home in 2003....increases yes. ...sticker shock not yet, not like that.
(If you think Brookhavens crooked....wait till you see how they run their business out in there, he couldnt even get a straight answer as to why.)

IMHO youre crazy to leave Rocky Point for Riverhead
(Are your kids out of school will you be paying for them to go to Mercy too?)

I dont know..I dont think North Shore Beach is too, too, bad tax wise considering the neighboring areas.

MLSLI.com - Find a Home
MLSLI.com - Find a Home

Baiting Hollow is tempting....We looked at it too, but its really just an overpriced area of Riverhead, Like Roanoake.
Id also be concerned with whats coming down the pike at Calverton Grumman.

I wouldnt drink the well water.


C

PS
Create the town you crave....get thee to a Civic meeting 2nd Weds 730 VFW hall RockyPointCivic.org

Vision Long Island is coming through in Oct to lay out the blueprint for the downtown revitalization.(I wish I had extra money...Id be buying anything I could get my hands near Broadway right now)

Last edited by clamboy; 09-25-2007 at 05:52 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-25-2007, 12:18 PM
 
Location: Some where new!
324 posts, read 638,209 times
Reputation: 385
I just moved from Jamesport to NC. My taxes in Jamesport? $7,000 which is cheap..my cousin..he pays well over $10,000.

Here in NC....My garage is bigger then my Jamesport house and I have an inground pool too and a big house...my taxes are 1,000

Baiting Hollow is pretty expensive..we have many friends there!

Good Luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-25-2007, 06:07 PM
 
240 posts, read 885,558 times
Reputation: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by clamboy View Post
Not so sure.

It aint like its cheap out there either.
More land...yes. Cheaper.......well???

My buddy moved to Jamesport from Sound Beach and hated it, his taxes went from 3500 to 8k in 2 years so he packed up and moved to CT (for Rivehead SD are you crazy).

Although I dont love my taxes theyve held somewhat steady since I bought the home in 2003....increases yes. ...sticker shock not yet, not like that.
(If you think Brookhavens crooked....wait till you see how they run their business out in there, he couldnt even get a straight answer as to why.)

IMHO youre crazy to leave Rocky Point for Riverhead
(Are your kids out of school will you be paying for them to go to Mercy too?)

I dont know..I dont think North Shore Beach is too, too, bad tax wise considering the neighboring areas.

MLSLI.com - Find a Home
MLSLI.com - Find a Home

Baiting Hollow is tempting....We looked at it too, but its really just an overpriced area of Riverhead, Like Roanoake.
Id also be concerned with whats coming down the pike at Calverton Grumman.

I wouldnt drink the well water.


C

PS
Create the town you crave....get thee to a Civic meeting 2nd Weds 730 VFW hall RockyPointCivic.org

Vision Long Island is coming through in Oct to lay out the blueprint for the downtown revitalization.(I wish I had extra money...Id be buying anything I could get my hands near Broadway right now)
Basically the property is across the street from close friends and the neighborhood is absolutely gorgeous, blows Belle Terre out of the water. All in all it would be about a $600,000 expense, but considering the house would already be worth close to $800,000 (the house next door just sold for 3 Million), it would be worth it. As for the school district, sure its a set back, one child has three more years left, two by the time the house is built. It may be worth it to pay for Mercy for a year or two. Sure we love Rocky Point, but we're ready for a change. Our taxes here in Rocky Point are fine, we just don't want to be paying 20K+ on the new house.


PS. Its city water

Last edited by rockypointny; 09-25-2007 at 06:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-25-2007, 08:17 PM
 
1,876 posts, read 1,800,675 times
Reputation: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockypointny View Post
Basically the property is across the street from close friends and the neighborhood is absolutely gorgeous, blows Belle Terre out of the water. All in all it would be about a $600,000 expense, but considering the house would already be worth close to $800,000 (the house next door just sold for 3 Million), it would be worth it. As for the school district, sure its a set back, one child has three more years left, two by the time the house is built. It may be worth it to pay for Mercy for a year or two. Sure we love Rocky Point, but we're ready for a change. Our taxes here in Rocky Point are fine, we just don't want to be paying 20K+ on the new house.


PS. Its city water

Hate to see you go, but I wish you well...good luck.

If I were to leave Rocky Point for out east....I'd do Laurel-Mattituck

I've yet to see anything in Baiting Hollow that blows Belle Terre out of the water(It looks like a McMansion farm to me).

Dont be surprised if you hit that 20k mark once they start their own district out there.(...and Im sure they will)

Glad you got the City Water.
I have friends in Wading River who are still on well.

Rememeber, at the end of the day, 800k house or not,you're still in Riverhead.
(Be careful out by the Greens/Doctors Path)



Godspeed

C
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-25-2007, 09:40 PM
 
240 posts, read 885,558 times
Reputation: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by clamboy View Post
Hate to see you go, but I wish you well...good luck.

If I were to leave Rocky Point for out east....I'd do Laurel-Mattituck

I've yet to see anything in Baiting Hollow that blows Belle Terre out of the water(It looks like a McMansion farm to me).

Dont be surprised if you hit that 20k mark once they start their own district out there.(...and Im sure they will)

Glad you got the City Water.
I have friends in Wading River who are still on well.

Rememeber, at the end of the day, 800k house or not,you're still in Riverhead.
(Be careful out by the Greens/Doctors Path)



Godspeed

C

Well believe me its far from definite, we're yet to follow up with the real estate agency. But the area is nowhere near the farms, we would never want to live in a house built on farmland (ugly, and too much of a risk of cancer from the pesticides). The street is right along the sound and densely wooded, it truly is nicer than any other north shore neighborhoods in Eastern Suffolk, my only comparison being Soundview Acres in Shoreham. We're still deciding if it's worth the move, we've been in our house 20 years in February and love our neighbors and the school district.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2007, 05:35 AM
 
1,876 posts, read 1,800,675 times
Reputation: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockypointny View Post
Well believe me its far from definite, we're yet to follow up with the real estate agency. But the area is nowhere near the farms, we would never want to live in a house built on farmland (ugly, and too much of a risk of cancer from the pesticides). The street is right along the sound and densely wooded, it truly is nicer than any other north shore neighborhoods in Eastern Suffolk, my only comparison being Soundview Acres in Shoreham. We're still deciding if it's worth the move, we've been in our house 20 years in February and love our neighbors and the school district.
That neighborhoods beautiful...if its the.one Im thinking of its like Scotts Beach.

It's tempting..but I think youd be giving up alot here.

Rocky Points a really great town...Its the the last piece of humble north shore LI left.Good working class values, strong sense of community etc.
I wouldnt want to raise my kids anywhere else on the North Shore. ...I want them to stay right sized.
(I was at our Libarary at the HS in Shoreham last week and almost got hit by an 18 year old in an 90k S-Class Benz, no sorry or excuse me...just kept going, what a little bastard)

I tell you, if I had that much money to play with in Rocky Point...Id look to Oak Hills,the Historic District or Culross/Waterfront.

Heres my picks


MLSLI.com - Find a Home

MLSLI.com - Find a Home

MLSLI.com - Find a Home



Best of luck...I know its a tough decision.
We wrestled with it too.

C
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top