Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 08:22 AM

2,202 posts, read 4,325,639 times

Advertisements

The following list of plants taken from: Regional Plant List - Delaware, DE, Southern New Jersey, NJ, Long Island, New York, NY

Trees:
- Persimmon
- White Ash

Shrubs:
- Common Buttonbush
- Winged Sumac

Flowering Perennials
- Butterfly Milkweed
- Yellow Thistle
- Wild Cornfrey
- Hyssop-leaf Thoroughwart
- Sweet Joe-Pye Weed
- Cutleaf Coneflower
- New York Ironweed

http://www.kioli.org/longisland/inte...n-long-island/

Last edited by James1202; 06-16-2012 at 08:26 AM.. Reason: add link
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2012, 09:43 AM

9,933 posts, read 23,142,320 times
Don't forget "buddleia", or butterfly bush!

Old 06-16-2012, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Don't forget "buddleia", or butterfly bush!
In the spirit of "Keep It On Long Island" (KIOLI) (a philosophy we've tried to follow for everything involved with our project) I thought it important to list plants that are native to this area and purposely avoid imports.

I looked-up buddleia and found the following article: Butterfly Bush – Why You Shouldn't Plant Butterfly Bush – Substitutes for Butterfly Bush

While it's a beautiful plant, I'd discourage it's use for the reasons stated in the above article.

Old 06-16-2012, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIGuy1202 View Post
In the spirit of "Keep It On Long Island" (KIOLI) (a philosophy we've tried to follow for everything involved with our project) I thought it important to list plants that are native to this area and purposely avoid imports.

I looked-up buddleia and found the following article: Butterfly Bush – Why You Shouldn't Plant Butterfly Bush – Substitutes for Butterfly Bush

While it's a beautiful plant, I'd discourage it's use for the reasons stated in the above article.

I understand your point of view. My prolific garden was mostly inherited from the seller, who lovingly tended and increased it for decades - one of the reasons I bought this house!! And I have a problem "discarding" plants... so I share as much as possible. Anyone want some foxglove, gooseneck loosestrife, harebell, or rose of sharon?? Also lots of pachysandra?
Personally, I have had NO problems with spreading of buddleia - one bush and one bush only, but maybe my growing conditions don't encourage the "invader"?

I do however have several moutain laurel bushes (mentioned as one of the alternatives in the above link) and absolutely love their flowers!

Old 06-16-2012, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
I understand your point of view. My prolific garden was mostly inherited from the seller, who lovingly tended and increased it for decades - one of the reasons I bought this house!! And I have a problem "discarding" plants... so I share as much as possible. Anyone want some foxglove, gooseneck loosestrife, harebell, or rose of sharon?? Also lots of pachysandra?
Personally, I have had NO problems with spreading of buddleia - one bush and one bush only, but maybe my growing conditions don't encourage the "invader"?

I do however have several moutain laurel bushes (mentioned as one of the alternatives in the above link) and absolutely love their flowers!
We may adopt some of your plants late this Autumn or early next Spring if you have any from which you want to part. We're leaning toward a prolific English garden type of landscaping with a lot of herbs and flowering edibles mixed in.

Old 06-17-2012, 11:47 AM

Quote:
We may adopt some of your plants late this Autumn or early next Spring if you have any from which you want to part. We're leaning toward a prolific English garden type of landscaping with a lot of herbs and flowering edibles mixed in.

Let me know when you're ready! I'm sure there'll be something you want/can use, including a perennial begonia

Old 06-17-2012, 12:55 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,743,853 times
Clover

Old 08-04-2015, 08:11 PM

1 posts, read 3,265 times
Default Begonia

I just joined to try to adopt some perennial begonias. I have a woodland garden and can use all the help I can get.

Old 08-12-2015, 10:42 AM

163 posts, read 245,936 times
Default Spicebush

I've read that this bush attracts the larvae of a certain black colored butterfly.

Old 09-11-2015, 12:04 PM

1 posts, read 3,080 times
Default Source for butterfly plants

A good source for butterfly attracting plants is Plant Delights Nursery. Here is their list of butterfly attracting plants, and some of the plants on your list below as well as many other natives can be found there : [URL="http://www.plantdelights.com/Butterfly-Attracting-Plants-for-sale/Butterfly-Gardens/Butterfly-Flowers/?view_all"]List of butterfly attracting plants at Plant Delights[/URL]

Quote:
The following list of plants taken from: [url=http://www.plantnative.org/rpl-denjny.htm]Regional Plant List - Delaware, DE, Southern New Jersey, NJ, Long Island, New York, NY[/url]

Trees:
- Persimmon
- White Ash

Shrubs:
- Common Buttonbush
- Winged Sumac

Flowering Perennials
- Butterfly Milkweed
- Yellow Thistle
- Wild Cornfrey
- Hyssop-leaf Thoroughwart
- Sweet Joe-Pye Weed
- Cutleaf Coneflower
- New York Ironweed

[URL="http://www.kioli.org/longisland/interest/layover-on-long-island/"]http://www.kioli.org/longisland/interest/layover-on-long-island/[/URL]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: