U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 11:09 PM

63 posts, read 39,295 times
We are considering all parts of the U.S. We have interest in various places, including: Chicago, DC, Baltimore, Pittsburgh,etc. But as mentioned in the initial post I am looking to move to a suburb near a large city. I completely understand that the cost of living is certainly different as compared to where we are right now. Just as salary is increased so is the cost of living. I utilize this forum as a gauge of furthering my research about a particular location. I feel as though I can get a pulse on the specific city by hearing the comments from this forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 04:00 AM

125 posts, read 150,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
They didn't ask for a good area but Freeport is not good... and not a good place to raise a kids (terrible schools).

Baldwin is nice in certain parts but not for $850/mo.
Any school can be terrible if the parents don't instill the value of a good education. With that said, unless you go to or have children in Freeport Schools, don't be so quick to judge. There happen to be some very talented and smart kids graduating this year that are going to prestigious colleges. Some even on scholarships. Oh, and you're not getting anything for $850 in Freeport so don't bother trying

Old 06-25-2012, 06:22 AM

11,120 posts, read 7,363,971 times
How about NC, SC or virginia?

Old 06-25-2012, 07:42 AM

8,765 posts, read 9,500,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
How about NC, SC or virginia?
Only speaking for the suburbs of Raleigh where I live but I wouldn't hold out hope for a teaching job here; they had some layoffs a year or two ago and those people are first in line for any available jobs. I also think that a city like Raleigh is not what he's really looking for. And I don't think he'll find a rental for $800 even here, that close to the city....I think the OP's housing budget is going to be problematic no matter what city he wants to live near; housing is always more expansive close to metro areas, no matter how big or small they are.

Old 06-25-2012, 07:53 AM
Status: "Game recognized game from the start" (set 4 days ago)

30,027 posts, read 34,474,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
I don't think that upstate NY is going to fit your requirements either. You would have no problem finding a rental for $850 per month or even for less. You asked to be near "things to do." There are certainly things to do, as in any place, but it is just as sleeply as places that you would find in Oklahoma. The weather would also be quite an adjustment. But most important of all, there's economic distress upstate as well. Finding teaching jobs would also be problematic and again, in New York state, you would need a master's degree sooner than later. I was also going to suggest the Baltimore area, but again, the "nice" suburban parts might also be out of your price range. Without a bigger budget, you are limited to the south and the midwest and parts of the southwest. Northeastern and middle Atlantic cities have high costs of living, with NYC by far the priciest.
If the OP is looking specifically or strictly for just teaching jobs, then I agree. Jobs depend on the industry, the skills/education a person has and where you look up here. I don't know if the cities are necessarily as sleepy as those in say Arkansas or Oklahoma either. Places like Buffalo and Albany have nightlife spots open until 4 AM. With that said, they have a child and they might be looking for things in the way of cultural festivals, sporting events, the arts and some family based things to do. You can find those things up here.

Also, I wonder what type of work is the misses is looking for, as she might have an easier time in finding work?

Old 06-25-2012, 08:36 AM

323 posts, read 570,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
I don't think that upstate NY is going to fit your requirements either. You would have no problem finding a rental for $850 per month or even for less. You asked to be near "things to do."
If you move to Dutchess or Ulster county you would be about an hour and a half from the city which is about the same distance as everyone's favorite Rocky Point.

Old 06-25-2012, 12:07 PM

3,398 posts, read 2,756,271 times
I guess we should ask the poster to define "things to do." Basic family things like movies, community pools, library story time, local shows, you can get anywhere. And yes, you do get A or A- list entertainers coming to cities like Buffalo and Albany to perform from time to time. But if he's looking for a big children's museum like you would find in Boston or New York, or Chicago/New York style major art museums, major entertainment 365 days, that is only available in a large city. (Albany does have the NYS museum which is IMO pretty cool). There's plenty of interesting things upstate, Baseball Hall of Fame, Lake George and the fort, Howes Caverns, but it's not concentrated in one area.

To the OP, housing is the biggest cost factor, but everything else is much higher as well, gasoline, auto insurance, electric/gas utilities and so on. And NYS has a sizable state income tax and NYC residents pay an additional income tax. Also the rental process is more complicated here, especially in NYC where landlords want proof of employment, tax returns, bank statements and other documents. Some rentals are only available through a broker and it is the renter who pays the broker's fee. I think the first thing you need to do is find a place where you can find employment and then based on that income, pick a location.

Old 06-25-2012, 06:12 PM

63 posts, read 39,295 times
I would like to thank everyone for their input.

We are looking for a location where our child can grow up and experience the culture and history of America. With that being said we are rather limited in offering our child that in Arkansas. So finding a location to provide our child that is paramount. Also having career options is also appealing. I certainly know that teaching is going to be a process and certainly not something i can jump into, with that in mind I want to be able to provide for my family in the mean time. Also, as a side note the rental budget was a guesstimate.

Old 06-25-2012, 07:00 PM

3,302 posts, read 3,339,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthBound3 View Post
I'm not sure I would consider Long Island diverse by any means:
New study ranks Long Island 7th most segregated among 50 major metro regions. CBS New York
An area could be segregated but still have diverse areas within those areas. For instance, NYC was ranked as one of the most segregated cities, but within the city, you have areas that are diverse, like South Ozone Park & Richmond Hill, which have roughly 20-25% of each major racial/ethnic group (White, Black, Asian, Hispanic).

But personally, I think there's something wrong with their methodology, because IIRC, we ranked higher than Detroit and St. Louis, and I don't see how that's really possible. If nothing else, the fact that we have a lot of Hispanics and Asians (and they generally don't segregate themselves as much as Whiets and Blacks) should've ranked us lower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinuzzo View Post
But there are even different ethnic neighborhoods within those diverse neighborhoods, and Manhasset?
Not really. In some cases, yes, but in most cases, no. For instance, Manhasset does have a diverse section and a homogenous section, but in areas like Wheatley Heights, Valley Stream, and Baldwin, there isn't that much of a difference between the different sections diversity-wise. Look at that map to see for yourself. In some areas, you do have one pocket that's mostly White or mostly Black, but the rest of the area is fairly integrated.

The thing is that some areas don't have all of the groups represented. For instance, some areas in NW Nassau are Whites & Asians, and others are Blacks & Hispanics (Hempstead, New Cassel), and others are Whites & Blacks (Wheatley Heights, northern Westbury, etc), etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandPerson View Post
As for Manhasset, yes it is diverse. Most of Northwest Nassau is diverse and has a significant East Asian presence.
Actually, I checked a source (called socialexplorer.com) and it said that most of the Asians in LI are South Asians, especially in NW Nassau.

As far as Manhassett goes, only one section is really diverse (and this happened fairly recently too) This map zooms down to the block group level instead of the census tract level, and you can see that most of the Blacks and Hispanics are concentrated in the Spinney Hill area. It isn't really 14% Black throughout the entire area. It's 47% Black in the Spinney Hill area, and about 2% Black in the rest of the areas. (And it used to be even more segregated. Back in 1990, it was 79.7% Black in Spinney Hill, and about 0.5% Black in the other areas.

At least now, we can say the Spinney Hill area is somewhat diverse. Part of it is due to a public housing project, but there are Blacks in the area behind them as well. It's weird how it's mostly Black, because here in NYC, when a project is in a desirable (or at least decent) area, it usually has a larger White prescence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raiser View Post
Most of the city is pretty priced out except for maybe the Bronx. Take a look in Dutchess County or Ulster County... You should be able to get more for the buck up there.
It depends what the OP wants to spend $850 a month for. If it's a 1-bedroom, you could find an apartment on Staten Island for that price without too much trouble.

Old 06-26-2012, 07:10 PM

1,238 posts, read 1,272,964 times
Mapping America ? Census Bureau 2005-9 American Community Survey - NYTimes.com

The map isn't all that specific but will give you a general sense of race distribution in each census tract.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island