Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 03:32 PM

101 posts, read 119,582 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

My wife and I currently live in Arkansas and are looking to relocate to a city where not only is there much diversity but also career opportunities. We are a mixed family, my wife is African-American and myself Caucasian. We just had our first child and are looking to move somewhere that is culturally diverse, many things to do, and plenty of career opportunities. We have realized that we want to move someplace where we can stay for awhile instead of relocating again. Looking to move in about 8 months but trying to start early to find a place that fits us. We appreciate any suggestions and thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2012, 04:02 PM

1,456 posts, read 4,329,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsrfamily View Post
Hello All,

My wife and I currently live in Arkansas and are looking to relocate to a city where not only is there much diversity but also career opportunities. We are a mixed family, my wife is African-American and myself Caucasian. We just had our first child and are looking to move somewhere that is culturally diverse, many things to do, and plenty of career opportunities. We have realized that we want to move someplace where we can stay for awhile instead of relocating again. Looking to move in about 8 months but trying to start early to find a place that fits us. We appreciate any suggestions and thank you in advance.
Valley Stream would be a great choice. It's very diverse. It's on the Nassau/Queens border so it's close to leisure activities. It's a fairly short train ride to Manhattan for work and more leisure. Has good schools.

Wheatley Heights would be a great choice too. It's very diverse and very close to Melville and Hauppauge which are the main employment centers on Long Island. Public schools (Half Hollow Hills SD) are considered very excellent. But it is far away from a lot of shopping/leisure.

Also look into Baldwin&Baldwin Harbor and parts of Deer Park and West Hempstead.

Last edited by LongIslandPerson; 06-23-2012 at 04:29 PM..

Old 06-23-2012, 04:22 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,990,623 times
I'd suggest picking an area of the United States which has lower unemployment rates, lower taxes and lower cost of living.

Old 06-23-2012, 06:53 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
Pretty hard to answer without knowing budget and what "career choices" the OP wants.

Old 06-23-2012, 08:18 PM

Budget wise we are looking to rent at first. Seeking to spend around $850.00 monthly. Truly we would like to live in location that is not only affordable but also in safe community. Granted career choices is a broad brush stroke but as a young family looking enter into a strong company I did not want to limit myself to one particular field. I am looking to teach in the public school system and we both have our bachelors. Hope that helps explain the situation and appreciate your input.

Old 06-23-2012, 08:19 PM

I really appreciate your input LongIslandPerson. I will check into those areas.

Old 06-23-2012, 08:37 PM

1,456 posts, read 4,329,111 times
Quote:
Budget wise we are looking to rent at first. Seeking to spend around $850.00 monthly. Truly we would like to live in location that is not only affordable but also in safe community. Granted career choices is a broad brush stroke but as a young family looking enter into a strong company I did not want to limit myself to one particular field. I am looking to teach in the public school system and we both have our bachelors. Hope that helps explain the situation and appreciate your input.
Unfortunately you won't find anything on that budget except for an illegal studio apartment or a single room in somebody's house. You would have to increase your budget significantly.

Old 06-23-2012, 09:20 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,700,672 times
For a family, you would at the minimum have to double your rental budget. Forget teaching here. Not much hiring going on for even the locals who already have state certification. You would also have to be willing to get a masters degree as well and be able to pay for that. It's not going to be any different in NYC or any of the NYC metro suburban areas, including NJ or CT. There's plenty of diversity here and plenty of things to do, but you need $$$$ to live here.

Old 06-23-2012, 09:54 PM

748 posts, read 2,888,020 times
I would suggest Austin Texas. You need a rental budget of 2000 for a 2 bedroom apartment to be looking in the NYC metro area.

Old 06-23-2012, 10:32 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,373,212 times
Quote:
Want an honest answer? You're not gonna find an apartment for $850 a month in a good area... you can get a studio apartment in a decent area maybe on that, or an apartment in a bad area. LI is one of the most expensive areas in the country. And as a previous poster said- you can't teach anywhere in NY without a masters degree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island