Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 07:03 AM

629 posts, read 1,701,008 times

Advertisements

Title says it all - why are there no crime stats for town/city profiles on Long Island?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2012, 04:39 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,882,711 times
doesn't seem to be any for the boroughs either.

Old 06-27-2012, 05:30 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,129,113 times
Ahem.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Hempstead-New-York.html
http://www.city-data.com/city/Glen-Cove-New-York.html
http://www.city-data.com/city/Long-Beach-New-York.html

I think there might be a couple more as well.

Scroll about 1/4 of the way down the page.

As for all the other areas, I think it might have to do with the size (they might not be large enough for city-data to bother loking at the crime record). Also, Glen Cove & Long Beach are officially cities, so maybe that has something to do with it (I don't know what the story with Hempstead is. Maybe it's just because it has a large population. )

Or maybe they saw all the threads about Hempstead and picked it for that reason.

Old 06-27-2012, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
Ahem.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Hempstead-New-York.html
http://www.city-data.com/city/Glen-Cove-New-York.html
http://www.city-data.com/city/Long-Beach-New-York.html

I think there might be a couple more as well.

Scroll about 1/4 of the way down the page.

As for all the other areas, I think it might have to do with the size (they might not be large enough for city-data to bother loking at the crime record). Also, Glen Cove & Long Beach are officially cities, so maybe that has something to do with it (I don't know what the story with Hempstead is. Maybe it's just because it has a large population. )

Or maybe they saw all the threads about Hempstead and picked it for that reason.
Do the cities you list maintain their own police departments - or are they protected by the NCPD?

Old 06-27-2012, 07:45 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,129,113 times
Quote:
I meant to put a after this. Oh, well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthBound3 View Post
Do the cities you list maintain their own police departments - or are they protected by the NCPD?
Glen Cove and Long Beach are cities, so they do have one (there's probably a requirement for cities, but don't quote me on that). See the links.

It looks like Hempstead has its own police department as well. I don't think they use the NCPD.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:11 PM

449 posts, read 1,132,569 times
Quote:
I meant to put a after this. Oh, well...

Glen Cove and Long Beach are cities, so they do have one (there's probably a requirement for cities, but don't quote me on that). See the links.

It looks like Hempstead has its own police department as well. I don't think they use the NCPD.
yes, hempstead does. so do freeport and rockville centre, which also have crime stats on city-data.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:59 PM

Well then - going out on a limb here - I'd say I smell a union hard at work and that's why the stats are squashed.

Old 06-28-2012, 05:54 AM

290 posts, read 583,242 times
any crime stats needed can be easily accessed on the NCPD website. Nothing's being squashed...

Old 06-28-2012, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donkey95 View Post
any crime stats needed can be easily accessed on the NCPD website. Nothing's being squashed...
Still not reported in the same fashioned as thousands of other municipalities around the country which allow CD to query the data - allow CD users to spot trends over a long period (up to a decade in many instances) - and allow CD users to compare stats of a given area to the national average.

I'll hold by my original claim that the reason is probably due to a union looking to make it as inconvenient as possible to access the data.

Old 06-28-2012, 09:09 AM

939 posts, read 1,845,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthBound3 View Post
Still not reported in the same fashioned as thousands of other municipalities around the country which allow CD to query the data - allow CD users to spot trends over a long period (up to a decade in many instances) - and allow CD users to compare stats of a given area to the national average.

I'll hold by my original claim that the reason is probably due to a union looking to make it as inconvenient as possible to access the data.
Tin foil hat aside, crime statistics come from the FBI. They have specific requirements about how jurisdictions report crimes to them and how they report them to the public. FBI policies don't necessarily coincide with the patchwork of local jurisdictions on Long Island.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island