Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 12:43 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,953,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
If you think i'm getting unlimited data at dialup speeds, you might want to check your speed test again. My speed is very quick even in my home and the fact that I don't have to deal with a nasty t-mobile rep if an issue did arise with half of the calls going to outsourced India, makes me feel 100% better. T-Mobile can afford to offer cheaper prices because they outsource the majority of incoming calls to their call centers abroad, they have less towers than Sprint or Verizon and their reception in the US is not as good. Now take a ride to Verizon, print out the maps, then call TMO and ask where their call centers are. There's a reason why they are cheaper. You just can't grasp it and grasp what else is out there. I worked in many sectors of Telecom and I have friends and family that have or have had service with all of the 4 majors and there are reasons why they stay and leave each. No one in the last 3-4 years that has sprint service that I know of has changed. Everyone that I know that currently has TMO is planning to leave. Everyone that has AT&T that I know is waiting for their contract to end than they are bailing too. People with Verizon Wireless service love the service but not the price. Face the facts, there is a reason why T-Mobiles churn rates keep increasing, AT&T too. When AT&T lost exclusive rights to the IPhone, people didn't have to stick with their subpar coverage at a premium price. I still think that eventually the TMO/Sprint merger will happen because they will try to take on the big dogs but until that time, Sprint is better all around.
That's because they don't offer the IPHONE!

I'm with k-4 on this one. I have T-MO my wife had Sprint, My sons had Verizon and my daughter had ATT. 3 months ago when their contracts were done, I switch them all to T-Mobile! We're are under T-MO, 5 smart phones,unlimited everything for 179 a month. The T-MO speeds were far superior compared to the other major carriers and I never had a dropped call where ever I have traveled. I've been with them contentiously since they were VoiceStream in 1994. If it's not broken don't fix it is my motto.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2012, 03:19 PM

3,939 posts, read 8,973,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
If you think i'm getting unlimited data at dialup speeds, you might want to check your speed test again. My speed is very quick even in my home and the fact that I don't have to deal with a nasty t-mobile rep if an issue did arise with half of the calls going to outsourced India, makes me feel 100% better.
Funny, you do realize Sprint does not offer high-speed wireless data outside of NYC, right?

3G and 4G Wireless Speed Showdown: Which Networks Are Fastest? | PCWorld

Check the charts. Where is Sprint on that list? Consistently the WORST w.r.t. speed tests.

Check the "overall winners and losers" picture, too. Here, let me just show you:

Twice in a row, Sprint is rated the worst. 3G (which you are claiming to be faster than T-Mo's 4G HSPA+ network) was rated as the absolute slowest 3G network. Sprint's WiMAX network can't even reach western Nassau.. I hope you don't claim to be receiving it in Suffolk.

Old 07-04-2012, 06:08 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,152,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
That's because they don't offer the IPHONE!

I'm not an iphone fan, but Sprint DOES offer the iphone!

Old 07-04-2012, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
I'm not an iphone fan, but Sprint DOES offer the iphone!
He was talking about T-Mobile losing customers because they do not officially offer the iPhone.

Old 07-04-2012, 06:29 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,152,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
He was talking about T-Mobile losing customers because they do not officially offer the iPhone.
Sorry, misunderstood the statement...

Old 07-06-2012, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Guess who isn't providing #s to back up claims. Not me!

Here are my results.

I never even got half of that with Sprint.
Is this good?

Old 07-06-2012, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Is this good?
Tmo?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Old 07-06-2012, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Tmo?

Yes outside w' HTC- Amazed 4G with the Ice Cream Sandwich update. The mobile T.V. works excellent. Now only if they could improve the battery life

Old 07-06-2012, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Yes outside w' HTC- Amazed 4G with the Ice Cream Sandwich update. The mobile T.V. works excellent. Now only if they could improve the battery life
Yeah that's good speed for you.

Old 07-07-2012, 08:30 AM

321 posts, read 595,872 times
I switched to sprint to save money and my wife and I both have smart phones.

The bill is very inexpensive for what we have... two android smartphones with unlimited everything... comes to $140 after all taxes and fees every month. We also have the air rave router in the house so we get full bars every time we're at home with no added cost.

HOWEVER.

Sprint's data speeds are noticeably subpar compared to my peers with similar phones on competitor's networks. AT&T, Verizon, TMo, you name it... they are all faster then my Sprint EVO 4G.

A lot of guys I work with can open youtube on their phone with verizon and almost instantly start streaming YoutubeHD content.

I can't watch at all. I downloaded an app so I can download the youtube file and then watch it once it's been loaded to my phone entirely.

Forget about Netflix or Amazon streaming movies. Like watching grass grow.

I've been happy with phone call quality and coverage and my phone is great but based on the reasons I've described above when my contract expires I will be switching to Verizon.

I'd rather pay an extra $40 a month and get 4G service with all the bells and whistles then deal with 3G that operates at 56k dialup speeds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island