Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2012, 05:11 AM

2,202 posts, read 4,310,257 times

Advertisements

Tax Foundation

During my university coursework, I worked on a project which compared the cost of living and running a proprietorship in NYS vs 10 randomly selected States. While NYS tended to have certain higher taxes it tended to have fewer and lower non-tax expenses when NYC and the NYC Metro area is excluded (since most states don't have a NYC equivalent metro area). Therefore, be aware 'taxes' don't tell the whole story.

Last edited by James1202; 07-02-2012 at 05:12 AM.. Reason: sp.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2012, 07:43 AM

4,676 posts, read 9,953,139 times
I hear you! I'm currently being "fee'd" to death in my state - both business and personal.....along with high taxes and that's why we're at the bottom of economic development!

Old 07-02-2012, 08:40 AM

3,122 posts, read 4,939,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIGuy1202 View Post
Tax Foundation

During my university coursework, I worked on a project which compared the cost of living and running a proprietorship in NYS vs 10 randomly selected States. While NYS tended to have certain higher taxes it tended to have fewer and lower non-tax expenses when NYC and the NYC Metro area is excluded (since most states don't have a NYC equivalent metro area). Therefore, be aware 'taxes' don't tell the whole story.
"be aware 'taxes' don't tell the whole story."

Of course it doesn't. First they're comparing the Whole New York State. Second if you broke it down to NYC or L.I. different story altogether. It's cheaper running a business in the Finger Lakes region than Manhattan or Westchester or the Island. You also have to figure in a lot more costs than taxes ( electric,gas, business and casualty insurance, rent per square foot, employee benefits, workers comp premium, group insurance, hauling of waste, FFE, hourly salaries, licenses fees, etc) to name a few. NY has the highest rates, add the high tax rate and the high cost of living.... I don't see your point?

For full disclosure..I never took a university course on this subject but are partners with a guy with 37 years of business experience of which 31 of said years were in NY. Overall it was 40% less to start and maintain the same business here compared to Nassau.

Old 07-03-2012, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocngypz View Post
I hear you! I'm currently being "fee'd" to death in my state - both business and personal.....along with high taxes and that's why we're at the bottom of economic development!
My hometown lost a lot of factory jobs, in the 70's, to the Southern states with low taxes and cheaper (non-union) labour. Some of the managers (whom relocated South to keep their job) returned years later and often spoke about underfunded school districts, lack of infrastructure maintenance/development, numerous fees that don't exist or are lower in NYS, as well as, a very low work ethic compared to what they knew in NYS.

Old 07-03-2012, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
"be aware 'taxes' don't tell the whole story."

Of course it doesn't. First they're comparing the Whole New York State. Second if you broke it down to NYC or L.I. different story altogether. It's cheaper running a business in the Finger Lakes region than Manhattan or Westchester or the Island. You also have to figure in a lot more costs than taxes ( electric,gas, business and casualty insurance, rent per square foot, employee benefits, workers comp premium, group insurance, hauling of waste, FFE, hourly salaries, licenses fees, etc) to name a few. NY has the highest rates, add the high tax rate and the high cost of living.... I don't see your point?

For full disclosure..I never took a university course on this subject but are partners with a guy with 37 years of business experience of which 31 of said years were in NY. Overall it was 40% less to start and maintain the same business here compared to Nassau.
Thank you for explaining, in greater detail, much of my point. Much appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island