Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 08:59 PM

840 posts, read 2,444,922 times

Advertisements

sea cliff has its own crunchy birkenstock wearing art-loving pretension about it

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocngypz View Post
Sea Cliff, I think.

NO MORE DAVIS PEACH FARM???

Guess it had to happen sooner or later.

Dam.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2012, 09:14 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,165,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ydsavaged View Post
Bohemia.
You're kidding right, Bohemia's fairly working class.

Sayville maybe....its upper middle and chill.

Crooks

Old 07-02-2012, 09:59 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,985,772 times
We always just ignored them. That being said, Sea Cliff has always been an artsy/creative type of place. Artists, musicians, writers... all marching to their own drummers.

I'll take Birkenstocks any day over Jimmy Choo's.

But getting back to the definition of UPPER MIDDLE CLASS.....I find the per capita incomes of all the Suffolk communities mentioned to be fairly low to be considered UPPER MIDDLE.

Old 07-03-2012, 05:09 AM

Quote:
We always just ignored them. That being said, Sea Cliff has always been an artsy/creative type of place. Artists, musicians, writers... all marching to their own drummers.

I'll take Birkenstocks any day over Jimmy Choo's.

But getting back to the definition of UPPER MIDDLE CLASS.....I find the per capita incomes of all the Suffolk communities mentioned to be fairly low to be considered UPPER MIDDLE.

I'd checkout HHI ...maybe they have smaller families in Nassau?

Folks would also should have more disposable income in Suffolk based on housing costs, however taxes are evil for everyone.

http://www.city-data.com/income/inco...-New-York.html
http://www.city-data.com/city/Mount-Sinai-New-York.html
http://www.city-data.com/city/Sea-Cliff-New-York.html

MP and MS are both north of 100k HHI.Sea Cliff is just south.

Crooks

Last edited by Crookhaven; 07-03-2012 at 05:46 AM..

Old 07-03-2012, 05:26 AM

2,202 posts, read 4,325,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyjohnny38 View Post
I say Centerport...
I don't think the Upper Middle Class (those maybe making something like over $5 Million/yr.) tends to be pretentious. It's more likely the Lower Middle Class (those maybe making around $65,000/yr.) that do.

It seems poorer people resent wealth and automatically believe wealth=pretentiousness. So the answers you get will be slanted by how people define "Upper Middle Class" and "pretentious".

Old 07-03-2012, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIGuy1202 View Post
I don't think the Upper Middle Class (those maybe making something like over $5 Million/yr.) tends to be pretentious. It's more likely the Lower Middle Class (those maybe making around $65,000/yr.) that do.

It seems poorer people resent wealth and automatically believe wealth=pretentiousness. So the answers you get will be slanted by how people define "Upper Middle Class" and "pretentious".
Good point.

BTW Nesconset would fit the Upper Middle/Down to earth bill too.

Crooks

Old 07-03-2012, 05:56 AM

2,202 posts, read 4,325,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Good point.

BTW Nesconset would fit the Upper Middle/Down to earth bill too.

Crooks
You think? If there are any Upper Middle Class households around here they're certainly being unpretentious about showing it. LOL!

Old 07-03-2012, 06:30 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,516,913 times
Quote:
Sea Cliff, I think.

NO MORE DAVIS PEACH FARM???

Guess it had to happen sooner or later.

Dam.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIGuy1202 View Post

Interesting definitions there. Someone making $5m a year is in the top fraction of the 1% of Americans and solidly in the upper class. Someone making $65k is making above the median wage and is solidly in the middle class.

Old 07-03-2012, 06:45 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,004,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
Interesting definitions there. Someone making $5m a year is in the top fraction of the 1% of Americans and solidly in the upper class. Someone making $65k is making above the median wage and is solidly in the middle class.
What you are describing are the HENRY's - High Earning Not Rich Yet class of folk. If you truly want to be wealthy you must accumulate it like Silas Marnas counting his sacks of gold coins. An income can be gone today or tomorrow, wealth usually does not evaporate unless is was illusory to begin with - ex. I own 10 homes worth $5 million (I failed to mention I have $4.8 million in mortgages on them) Most of the towns already mentioned don't have that kind of wealth per capita - you want that you need to go to places like Manhasset, Great Neck, Sands Point, Locust Valley,Old Brookville, Old Westbury, the Hamptons, maybe Dix Hills.

Old 07-03-2012, 07:15 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,151,464 times
I think Great River would fit the bill.

Some money down there, but all the folks Ive met from there are down to earth folks. Not to many with big heads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island