Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2012, 07:26 AM

4 posts, read 15,509 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,
I am new to the forum. We are currently in Central jersey, and looking to move aaalll the way to Dix Hills, long island. i have heard so many good things about the school and community. we have a 10 year old and 6 year old, and a good school area, coupled with easy access to sporting/cultural activities are important to us. I work in New York City and my wife is a homemaker.
Any comments on the commute to the city [ i am concerned about the open parking lots during heavy rains/snow etc ?? ] , school experience [ any signs of bullying in elementary/middle ? ] and weekend activities is greatly appreciated !!

nitin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2012, 08:23 AM

91 posts, read 177,124 times
I lived in Dix Hills for nearly 10 years and loved it. The schools are good and I do not recall any instance of bullying other the the normal kiddy bickering but nothing extreme. With regard to commuting I did it for the entire time I lived in DH to midtown or Brooklyn on the LIRR. Since we lived just south of the LIE I used Wyandanch, yeah I know that neighborhood is a real dump to put it mildly but I never had an issue. What time are you planning on catching the train? I used to get to the station around 7 am and had no issue with parking the lot is open and pretty close to the station and arriving at that time of the morning assured me a spot close to the platform. Where are you going to reside in DH? If it is very far north of the LIE and close to Jericho Tpke (25) you may want to go to Huntington again the station is not in the nice part of town but if I recall they had a parking garage also the service is much better on that line. Activities vary they have golf courses nearby lots of organized sports for the kids. Good luck let me know if you need anythjing else.

Old 07-13-2012, 08:51 AM

Thanks for quick reply...i plan on leaving around 8.30am in the morning, and we are looking at an area close to baldwin path, south of LIE. i would probably use wyandanch too, is it safe to park there [ i come back around 7.30-8pm ] ? does the PIRR run mostly on schedule and will one be able to get a seat in rush hour ?

Old 07-13-2012, 08:52 AM

oops, i mean LIRR

Old 07-13-2012, 12:39 PM

Glad to be of help when you say leaving at 8:30 am do you mean the train itself or leaving the house? Parking might be a little tight at Wyndanch at that hour. With regards to returning at 7:30 or 8 in the evening it is relatively safe I have returned at hours later then that and never had a problem. Getting a seat at those off hours should not be difficult. The LIRR unto itself has issues with delays that can make the commute intolerable at times and it is not confined to any one station. Lots of delays due to weather and any accident involing pedestrians and autos crosinng tracks. You should cont on adding a good 7 - 10 minutes onto the sheduled time without any delays, that is just how the LIRR operates it is expensive and not very customer friendly.

Old 07-13-2012, 12:42 PM

Deer Park may be another option you might want to explore. Oh I understand that they are adding a second track track between Farmingdale and Deer Park this may or may not cause some delays from Wyandanch as the station lies in between those other two.

Old 07-13-2012, 12:43 PM

3,520 posts, read 5,702,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitin1001 View Post
Thanks for quick reply...i plan on leaving around 8.30am in the morning, and we are looking at an area close to baldwin path, south of LIE. i would probably use wyandanch too, is it safe to park there [ i come back around 7.30-8pm ] ? does the PIRR run mostly on schedule and will one be able to get a seat in rush hour ?

you are going to have trouble finding parking at 8:30AM. Whats your work schedule?

Old 07-15-2012, 04:34 PM

i dont have a fixed schedule, but i normally reach nyc by 9.45 and that works for me. i am attracted by the parks and beaches close to dix hills so am prepared to leave a bit earlier too. however, i am moving from central jersey where everything is central [ six flags, washington/philly vacations, jersey shore, relatively short commute to ny ] , so am also concerned about island fever . any comments will be welcome !!

Old 07-15-2012, 06:44 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,152,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitin1001 View Post
i dont have a fixed schedule, but i normally reach nyc by 9.45 and that works for me. i am attracted by the parks and beaches close to dix hills so am prepared to leave a bit earlier too. however, i am moving from central jersey where everything is central [ six flags, washington/philly vacations, jersey shore, relatively short commute to ny ] , so am also concerned about island fever . any comments will be welcome !!
Beaches close to Dix Hills???
I guess "close" can be relative. Dix Hills is pretty much in the middle (between North and South shores) but then Long Island isn't too wide--just long
If it's the school district (Half Hollow Hills) that attracts you, parts of Melville are in the same SD and are not too far from the Cold Spring Harbor station (one of the nicer stations IMHO). As always on Long Island, your budget will have an impact on what/where your choices are.
You'd be closer to beaches there than in Dix Hills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island