U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-19-2012, 08:02 AM

175 posts, read 271,054 times

Advertisements

best mechanics i've ever used were in virginia. midas in dale city/woodbridge. great business!
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2012, 10:53 AM

475 posts, read 377,038 times
We do good work. Some upsell suggestions are legitimate and it's really how the business model is designed. If I see a safety related issue and the customer is waiting I take them out to show them what I've found, if the customer dropped the car off I will note on the work order. If I see something unsafe on a vehicle then yes I wll let the customer know. I do not try and upsell everything under the sun however, I do good work and my customers like me. If I am honest, take pride in my work, and provide a good service at a fair price, then the money takes care of itself. The automotive service industry is a people business and if you take care of your peeps, your peeps will take care of you.

Old 07-19-2012, 12:56 PM

287 posts, read 327,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
There's a distinct difference between an upsell ("Hey, your car is X miles, do you want us to rotate your tires? Change your air filter?") and a deceptive mechanic ("Hey, your car is X miles, your wheels are going to fall off if you don't let us fix them. Your engine is leaking let us fix it.")
If someone does not know how to get a second opinion on a major car repair issue, then I don't know what to tell em.

Old 07-19-2012, 01:03 PM

175 posts, read 271,054 times
steven - i wish every mechanic was like you. honestly. as a lady who knows nothing about cars other than where the gas goes, it's hard to get an honest description of what is wrong and NOT feel like you're gettin' taken! when i encounter good service, i 'yelp' it and spread the good word. it's the least we can all do! www.yelp.com

Old 07-19-2012, 02:43 PM

3,939 posts, read 4,435,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnalsI gnoL View Post
If someone does not know how to get a second opinion on a major car repair issue, then I don't know what to tell em.
You and I know when to say no, but I know quite a few people who would, you know, trust the professional's opinion. When you get a sleazy "pro" then all bets are off I guess.

Old 07-20-2012, 09:57 AM

11,508 posts, read 8,531,429 times
Since being together with my husband 12 years I have learned alot about cars and their parts because I made a point of learning. He grew up collecting cars and working on them since he was a kid because this was a hobbie his dad got him into to. I can change my own oil, change a tire if I had to and I even know how to check all my fluids and refill them if necessary. Before this all I knew how do do was put gas in the car and add washer fluid. It's good for a woman to at least know the basics of car maintenance. When ever my husband is working on my car or any car I watch and ask questions. Even before I met my husband I knew enough not to let a mechanic sway me into nonesense that my car didn't need. I would go home and tell my dad that the mechanic said I needed this or that. So we would go back together and talk it over and honestly most of the time the mechanic was right. The first car I had was a hunk of crap so it always needed work.

Old 07-20-2012, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
It's good for a woman to at least know the basics of car maintenance.
We need to move away from the notion that women are the only ones who can be oblivious to car maintenance. I know plenty of men who don't know how to change their own oil.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Old 07-20-2012, 11:46 AM

3,686 posts, read 4,552,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
We need to move away from the notion that women are the only ones who can be oblivious to car maintenance. I know plenty of men who don't know how to change their own oil.

And with the complxity of cars today, no gender should even attempt to work on them....and why bother doing oil changes yourself,even the dealerships do them cheap enough

Old 07-20-2012, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
And with the complxity of cars today, no gender should even attempt to work on them....and why bother doing oil changes yourself,even the dealerships do them cheap enough
My car has a valve for the oil drain bolt along with the filter being on top so it's super easy. But yeah I agree, you need a M.S. In EE to work on modern cars.

Old 07-20-2012, 01:02 PM

3,173 posts, read 3,503,286 times
For 30 bucks I think most people are better off having a shop do it. Why not take advantage of their low margin business model. STS is running a $25 special right now. If it's something like saving $100 on a service call for a home heating oil system filter change ($5 filter), that I would do myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island