U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 07-14-2012, 02:49 AM
 
91 posts, read 232,017 times
Reputation: 106

Advertisements

I lived and worked in Crookhaven for years, and still work and drive in Crookhaven 5 days a week. $8k(and up) property taxes in nice areas like Stonybrook and East Setauket, yet the roads say "Appalachia". And on Sheep Pasture Rd between Rt 112 and Dark Hollow, instead of repaving this godawful stretch of road, they put up a sign that says: "Uneven Pavement Ahead". In Sound Beach, they put in a section of nice new sidewalk, and painted new lines, but apparently going to leave the pothole strewn road surface as is. And I'm sure it's not just Crookhaven, but other Towns as well. I'm not trying to single out Crookhaven, it's just that 95% of my travels are on Crookhaven roads, so this is what I see.

High 4-figure and even 5-figure property taxes, yet, on a block of nice, $400k or so homes, the roads
are no better - heck, sometimes worse then those I've driven on in low-tax areas where 3-figure property taxes are the norm. Also, we had a very mild winter with little or no snow, which should've made for less wear and damage to the road surfaces, and more money left in the coffers.

Why can't we keep the roads up to par?? And where is all that tax money going??
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-14-2012, 07:34 AM
 
7,658 posts, read 16,687,448 times
Reputation: 1298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escape_From_NY View Post
I lived and worked in Crookhaven for years, and still work and drive in Crookhaven 5 days a week. $8k(and up) property taxes in nice areas like Stonybrook and East Setauket, yet the roads say "Appalachia". And on Sheep Pasture Rd between Rt 112 and Dark Hollow, instead of repaving this godawful stretch of road, they put up a sign that says: "Uneven Pavement Ahead". In Sound Beach, they put in a section of nice new sidewalk, and painted new lines, but apparently going to leave the pothole strewn road surface as is. And I'm sure it's not just Crookhaven, but other Towns as well. I'm not trying to single out Crookhaven, it's just that 95% of my travels are on Crookhaven roads, so this is what I see.

High 4-figure and even 5-figure property taxes, yet, on a block of nice, $400k or so homes, the roads
are no better - heck, sometimes worse then those I've driven on in low-tax areas where 3-figure property taxes are the norm. Also, we had a very mild winter with little or no snow, which should've made for less wear and damage to the road surfaces, and more money left in the coffers.

Why can't we keep the roads up to par?? And where is all that tax money going??
The truth of the matter is that folks in Crookhaven like to think they are living in the County.
Its the same reason we have a Choo Choo rather than a electrified commuter Rail on the North Shore.

As much as its easy to blame Rouse (who BTW does a decent job) its a beeotc$h to maintain these cowpaths.They were never intended for the volume of traffic they are currently absorbing.They are constantly being patched and resurfaced only to be destroyed again one year later.

Folks hate sidewalks, wide streets, lights, sewers or anything else that resembles the City (or Queens East).They think if you build it They (aka The Brown People) will come.Its really that stupid since They are already here.

You should write Lesko and tell him you are in favor of the 25A rezoning. Theres a whole corridor study underway and it just might bring some of the folks stuck in the past up to 1986.

Crookhaven is a victim of its own success.

Crooks
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2012, 10:23 AM
 
4,657 posts, read 7,673,588 times
Reputation: 4812
I hear ya! Our road was built in 1959. It wasn't redone until 1998 despite constant complaints to the town. Finally, after a utility worker was injured on our street - due to the condition of the street - we got new pavement.

Despite our neighborhood looking rural, we really weren't. It wasn't our choice - we always complained about our street.


We were also among the last to get plowed in the winter.

So much for living in the "high rent" district.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2012, 10:37 AM
 
Location: Inis Fada
16,804 posts, read 29,023,968 times
Reputation: 7390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escape_From_NY View Post
I lived and worked in Crookhaven for years, and still work and drive in Crookhaven 5 days a week. $8k(and up) property taxes in nice areas like Stonybrook and East Setauket, yet the roads say "Appalachia". And on Sheep Pasture Rd between Rt 112 and Dark Hollow, instead of repaving this godawful stretch of road, they put up a sign that says: "Uneven Pavement Ahead". In Sound Beach, they put in a section of nice new sidewalk, and painted new lines, but apparently going to leave the pothole strewn road surface as is. And I'm sure it's not just Crookhaven, but other Towns as well. I'm not trying to single out Crookhaven, it's just that 95% of my travels are on Crookhaven roads, so this is what I see.

High 4-figure and even 5-figure property taxes, yet, on a block of nice, $400k or so homes, the roads
are no better - heck, sometimes worse then those I've driven on in low-tax areas where 3-figure property taxes are the norm. Also, we had a very mild winter with little or no snow, which should've made for less wear and damage to the road surfaces, and more money left in the coffers.

Why can't we keep the roads up to par?? And where is all that tax money going??
Christian Ave has been a complete mess for the past few years. The last bad winter we had really did a number on it. I've come to learn that the water main on Christian is scheduled for replacement this summer (still waiting to see that start as on 7/13) end result being a freshly repaved Christian Ave.

Seeing the way things move in Crookhaven, I expect the project will start around the beginning of the new school year -- to completely mess up the bus routes and schedules.

I have a few friends who are big D donors in the town and who have had freshly repaved streets over the past year -- while everything around them is a shambles. No rhyme or reason for those streets being done. Makes no sense whatsoever. Unle$$....
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2012, 11:58 AM
 
4,657 posts, read 7,673,588 times
Reputation: 4812
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Christian Ave has been a complete mess for the past few years. The last bad winter we had really did a number on it. I've come to learn that the water main on Christian is scheduled for replacement this summer (still waiting to see that start as on 7/13) end result being a freshly repaved Christian Ave.

Seeing the way things move in Crookhaven, I expect the project will start around the beginning of the new school year -- to completely mess up the bus routes and schedules.

I have a few friends who are big D donors in the town and who have had freshly repaved streets over the past year -- while everything around them is a shambles. No rhyme or reason for those streets being done. Makes no sense whatsoever. Unle$$....
Nah, they won't repave. They'll just throw some asphalt over the trenches.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2012, 12:31 PM
 
1,082 posts, read 2,377,970 times
Reputation: 547
Yes, you hit the nail right head... Champagne property taxes, Kool-aid services. And it's not just Crookhaven. Driving along Rt. 25, through Smithtown, will shake the fillings from your teeth. Into Commack and Huntington, it get's slightly better, but the primary and secondary roads in Smithtown are Iraq-smooth. Same thing in Garden City and Carle Place.

Also, in my area, the roadside brush is now growing on to the roadway. Shrubs, weeds, bushes and trees are growing over power lines, right into the path of traffic.

Besides ridiculously high property taxes, we pay one of the highest gas taxes in the US, none of that money seems to be making it back to supporting the infrastructure. Either Albany is directing it back to the MTA or it's in Pedro Espada's pocket, but it's not being used to rebuild the derelict and crumbling infrastructure on LI.

But you can be glad the Second Ave. tunnel will continue to eat taxpayer $$ and the MTA is more concerned about building a gleaming Moynihan Station than fixing the incredibly poor service on the LIRR.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2012, 12:54 PM
 
Location: Inis Fada
16,804 posts, read 29,023,968 times
Reputation: 7390
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocngypz View Post
Nah, they won't repave. They'll just throw some asphalt over the trenches.
Christian Ave. Water Line Slated for Replacement - Three Village, NY Patch

Quote:
A 6,500-foot water main running along Christian Avenue in Stony Brook will be replaced beginning in July after the Suffolk County Water Authority determined it to be too clogged to operate efficiently...

The work should take about a month, according to the report, and will require water quality testing and repaving parts of the road following the upgrades.
Good grief, you're probably right
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2012, 01:14 PM
 
7,658 posts, read 16,687,448 times
Reputation: 1298
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Christian Ave has been a complete mess for the past few years. The last bad winter we had really did a number on it. I've come to learn that the water main on Christian is scheduled for replacement this summer (still waiting to see that start as on 7/13) end result being a freshly repaved Christian Ave.

Seeing the way things move in Crookhaven, I expect the project will start around the beginning of the new school year -- to completely mess up the bus routes and schedules.

I have a few friends who are big D donors in the town and who have had freshly repaved streets over the past year -- while everything around them is a shambles. No rhyme or reason for those streets being done. Makes no sense whatsoever. Unle$$....
Thats complete horsecrap, as much as we would like to believe its like that I assure you its mostly not.
The squeaky generally wheel gets the grease in Crookhaven pure and simple.

Mount Sinai/Miller Place/Sound Beach/Rocky Point and SWR gets paved because it screams the loudest and its a hard core Republican/Conservative foothold.

Dems are afraid to cross them.

You can always bank on fresh stripes around election day.
Get your pothole orders in by October.


Crooks
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2012, 01:28 PM
 
4,657 posts, read 7,673,588 times
Reputation: 4812
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
A MONTH? No stinkin way. My street is approx 1625 feet long. Took 5 months! From the first day they started drilling//digging until the last bit of asphalt was plunked down. They still haven't done anything about the driveway aprons they ruined.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-14-2012, 01:32 PM
 
Location: Inis Fada
16,804 posts, read 29,023,968 times
Reputation: 7390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Thats complete horsecrap, as much as we would like to believe its like that I assure you its mostly not.
The squeaky generally wheel gets the grease in Crookhaven pure and simple.

Mount Sinai/Miller Place/Sound Beach/Rocky Point and SWR gets paved because it screams the loudest and its a hard core Republican/Conservative foothold.

Dems are afraid to cross them.

You can always bank on fresh stripes around election day.
Get your pothole orders in by October.


Crooks
If you knew who I knew, you would change your tune. Step out of the conservative strongholds and onto Democratic turf. They have been taking care of their own. You've got to believe me on this one. One repaved street is home to one of Lesko's bigge$$t supporters.

Miller Place is home to John Rouse. It goes without saying that he would take care of his nabe first.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top