Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 09:50 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,962,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRANDYNYC View Post
Does all of GC have this issue with low flying planes and noise or are some parts worse than others?
This may help.

Garden City Quiet Skies
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2012, 07:19 AM

22,654 posts, read 36,657,128 times
Estates and western section get the worst of the plane noise - anywhere west of Nassau Blvd is going to be the worst for that.

Don't know anything about Manhasset in this regard, but GC's parks and recs are great.

Old 07-22-2012, 11:21 AM

796 posts, read 1,750,345 times
Also take into account that the Manhasset High School and Middle School are connected. This bothers some people

Old 07-22-2012, 12:36 PM

15 posts, read 37,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRANDYNYC View Post
Does all of GC have this issue with low flying planes and noise or are some parts worse than others?
It's not nearly as bad in the Eastern and the Central sections, there is only occasional plane noise there. The planes that fly over Garden City typically approach JFK by flying in a southwesterly direction diagonally across the center of the island, passing over East Williston or Mineola then the Estates and the Western sections. Some of them skip GC altogether and start the SW path later, crossing over New Hyde Park instead. Of course when the weather is poor or if is very windy the patterns could change.

Old 07-24-2012, 12:04 PM

964 posts, read 2,457,982 times
Let me preface this by saying that I am not from the NY area originally, but I've lived in GC for about 4 years now. We looked at Manhasset as an option as well during our house hunt. In the end, both towns are great. Manhasset is slightly more expensive based on median household price, but in my opinion, the quality of housing and architecture is better in Garden City overall. I am one that really appreciates historical homes and GC simply has an older and more traditional housing stock. That comes with problems as well, don't get me wrong. But, overall the homes are more tastefully done in GC.

Let's take for example the Manhasset home on Summit Drive that was listed here. 1.2 million for an architectural nightmare. The tacky 2-story front portico with the 1960's brick is ugly as hell. Manhasset had a lot of homes built in eras where architecture was poor. GC's home stock was from about 1890-1940 for the most part. That's a big difference in design and quality.

Don't get me wrong, Manhasset has some great estates and good older housing stock that isn't as tacky...but on average..it is harder to find than GC.

Air noise is an issue for GC west of Nassau Blvd. There is no way around it. We've been fighting the FAA for 4 years and the situation has improved I must say. They are distributing flights more in other areas (including parts of Manhasset now) to help mitigate the noise. One set of communities shouldn't take the whole brunt of noise and that is now being respected a little more. Are there bad days? Yes. But, a lot fewer than 2-3 years ago.

As for commutes, Manhasset is quicker, but GC has much more train selection.

Now neighboring communities is overblown in my estimation. Every village has challenges in that regard. Bordering Manhasset, you have Christopher Morley Park which constantly has police visiting because of scuffles and other issues. GC's one "bad" neighboring town is Hempstead and even that is limited because the GC police guard the border so well.

Old 07-24-2012, 12:21 PM

1,726 posts, read 4,025,809 times
Christopher Morley Park vs. Hempstead. Very accurate, realistic comparison.

Next we can compare the '27 Yankees to the '62 Mets.

Old 07-24-2012, 12:43 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,962,709 times
The OP desires a 4 br house. There's not much in her pricepoint in either location at present for sale.

I do take issue with your description of Manhasset RE.... as it also includes Plandome, Munsey Park and Strathmore Vanderbilt. Beautiful neighborhoodss, beautiful homes.

However, at present - there just isn't much inventory from which to choose.

I'm also in the market - though NS district. I'm ready to start knocking on people's doors to see if they'd be interested in selling... as the available inventory by and large stinks.

Old 07-24-2012, 12:52 PM

I wasn't saying they were the same. My point was that many towns have neighboring locations that are less desirable. Only a small section of Garden City borders a bad section of Hempstead. The rest borders Cathedral Gardens, Garden City South, Stewart Manor (which is very nice), NHP, Garden City Park, and Mineola.

We aren't talking ghetto towns here. The only area of GC I question on the border is the southeast section.

Old 07-24-2012, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocngypz View Post
The OP desires a 4 br house. There's not much in her pricepoint in either location at present for sale.

I do take issue with your description of Manhasset RE.... as it also includes Plandome, Munsey Park and Strathmore Vanderbilt. Beautiful neighborhoodss, beautiful homes.

However, at present - there just isn't much inventory from which to choose.

I'm also in the market - though NS district. I'm ready to start knocking on people's doors to see if they'd be interested in selling... as the available inventory by and large stinks.
Absolutely. Those are indeed beautiful areas. Some of the architecture in the neighborhoods surrounding the Americana is fantastic. People should be very happy with their purchases in Manhasset.

My personal preference though overall is for the architecture in Garden City.

Old 07-24-2012, 12:56 PM

1,726 posts, read 4,025,809 times
I wouldn't let Hempstead deter me from buying in GC if that's where I wanted to live. Comparing the park to Hempstead is quite a stretch though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island