Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2012, 06:09 PM

4 posts, read 11,594 times

Advertisements

We are considering moving to Northport but are concerned about the commute. I am interested if anyone has first hand experience with the commute. Do most people drive to Huntington? Also, are there any undesirable areas of Northport? Our budget is $350-550K. While I'm interested specifically in the commute to Manhattan and/or Brooklyln, any information on the good, the bad and the ugly of Northport would be appreciated.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2012, 09:56 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,763,475 times
Northport is a lovely village, good schools and some beautiful houses.

The commute sucks. If you live towards the water, it will take 15-20 mins to drive down to the station on Larkfield. You can drive to Huntington, where the trains run more frequently, but you'll need to factor in traffic. I think the LIRR schedules say Northport to Penn Station is about 1 hour, 10 mins. Huntington is about 1 hour 4 mins.

Good luck!

Old 10-02-2012, 07:01 AM

465 posts, read 1,709,193 times
No personal experience with commuting, but friends of mine in Northport all drive to Huntington. If I go to city for pleasure, I always drive to Huntington.

Northport is a great town to raise a family, the downtown area is nice and walkable by the harbor.
I've lived here for about 2 years, so far so good. No kids in schools yet, soon .....

Old 10-02-2012, 07:44 AM

377 posts, read 644,268 times
Northport is great. The only area that I would consider less desirable for me would be living too close to the LIPA stacks. It is probably fine, but I would be concerned about any possible health risks. Otherwise, beautiful town with a really nice downtown. It is also convenient to Huntingtonn for additional dining out options and art and culture. And the schools are really good. I have a lot of family in Northport (25 family members) and every one of them is happy with the community.

Old 10-02-2012, 10:43 AM

7 posts, read 13,719 times
Northport is a lovely town - very quaint. Nice shops and restaurants that you can walk to. The park down by the dock is very nice too. There is nothing "bad" about this town whatsoever. In your price range, you wil probably have to go to the higher end, b/c you are not going to find anything in Northport for $350K, unless maybe its a short sale or a dump. the commute to NYC is definitely over an hour.

Old 10-02-2012, 01:05 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,756,661 times
I used to commute to downtown Manhattan from Northport. It was about 2 hours door to door (drive to Huntington, train to Penn or Atlantic Ave, subway downtown). It is a bit of a hike but alot of people do it (and many from even further!). Although you can take the train from Northport, most people drive to Huntington to avoid changing trains and for more options coming back home. (Electric service ends at Huntington, so to go on to Northport you have to switch to a diesel train).

Old 10-02-2012, 02:13 PM

147 posts, read 543,436 times
I love Northport but it is too far from the highway and there's always a lot of traffic on Larkfield Rd and Elwood Rd.

Old 10-02-2012, 06:35 PM

638 posts, read 1,281,416 times
My father commuted to the Bronx from Asharoken when I was a kid! Yikes! Can't imagine that trek now!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island