Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 12:52 PM

573 posts, read 1,242,657 times

Advertisements

Went outside the other day and there was a can like a garbage can in front of the house, apparently these are the new recycling bins for ToH. We can now recycle pizza boxes too. I have to admit I was kind of excited about this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 12:55 PM

7,841 posts, read 13,234,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unctorious View Post
Went outside the other day and there was a can like a garbage can in front of the house, apparently these are the new recycling bins for ToH. We can now recycle pizza boxes too. I have to admit I was kind of excited about this.
Is it specifically marked for cardboard or paper? If so, I definitely would be rather excited. We currently have the orange bin and it appears that they only take glass and cans out of that bin (we bag them in clear plastic first). Anything that was paper or cardboard just went in the regular garbage truck, which really annoyed me.

Old 07-18-2012, 12:58 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,112,817 times
TNH pizza boxes went with newspapers on recycle day.

Old 07-18-2012, 01:19 PM

730 posts, read 1,657,837 times
There was a letter in the can that asked residents to use the new can for cans, bottles, glass, plastic and metal items. They asked that the old bins be used for newspaper, cardboard and other paper products.

They are also "pleased" to announce that they will be accepting "box board" (cereal, pasta and other food boxes), index cards, white telephone books (not yellow) and pizza boxes.

They also recommend you put your address on the can and the lid.

Old 07-18-2012, 01:48 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,991,727 times
We didn't get new boxes in RI, but as of June we put everything - paper, etc. in just one box. We no longer have to pay attention to the numbers on plastic items.

We do have one funny law though.. they will not pick up your garbage cans if your recyling box is not put out at the same time.

Old 07-18-2012, 03:28 PM

573 posts, read 1,242,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peabodyn View Post
There was a letter in the can that asked residents to use the new can for cans, bottles, glass, plastic and metal items. They asked that the old bins be used for newspaper, cardboard and other paper products.

They are also "pleased" to announce that they will be accepting "box board" (cereal, pasta and other food boxes), index cards, white telephone books (not yellow) and pizza boxes.

Thanks Peabody, my wife paraphrased the letter for me as we were getting in the car - I just heard pizza boxes. I am pleased by these announcements as well.

Old 07-18-2012, 03:29 PM

7,841 posts, read 13,234,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peabodyn View Post

Excellent! The sanitation truck that picks up on my block would take the newspapers or cardboard boxes and toss them in the truck. They waved at me, took the stack, chucked it in the truck and left. I was like ! Why bother?

I used to live in Queens and the recycling laws are stricter. Just about everything gets recycled so when I first moved to LI, I would separate everything and realized they just toss it in the truck lol

I wonder why not the yellow pages but they're taking the white pages?

Old 09-30-2012, 04:51 PM

1 posts, read 3,996 times
Default Town Of Hempstead

I received one of those new recycle bins from the town of Hemstead (Triple R Can). I have a problem with the lid design; it puddles with water and is now a new breeding pool for mosquitos. I am doing my part to combat the mosquito population on my East Meadow property including the recent installation of a "bat house", but now I have to make sure the lid on my recycle bin is free of water. In short, poor design. East Meadow Realtor, www.EastMeadowJowBrown.com

Old 09-30-2012, 10:00 PM

730 posts, read 1,657,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph brown View Post
I received one of those new recycle bins from the town of Hemstead (Triple R Can). I have a problem with the lid design; it puddles with water and is now a new breeding pool for mosquitos. I am doing my part to combat the mosquito population on my East Meadow property including the recent installation of a "bat house", but now I have to make sure the lid on my recycle bin is free of water. In short, poor design. East Meadow Realtor, www.EastMeadowJowBrown.com

Yes, the water does pool up on the lid. I guess we can drill a couple of holes in the lid to drain the water into the can and then also drill a few in the bottom of the can to drain the can itself.

I agree - bad design.

Old 10-01-2012, 08:04 PM

20,046 posts, read 20,850,556 times
I didn't get one. Do they have Kate Murray's face on them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island