U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 07-18-2012, 01:52 PM
 
511 posts, read 428,712 times
Reputation: 269

Advertisements

Went outside the other day and there was a can like a garbage can in front of the house, apparently these are the new recycling bins for ToH. We can now recycle pizza boxes too. I have to admit I was kind of excited about this.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-18-2012, 01:55 PM
 
Location: Long Island, NY
6,474 posts, read 4,313,368 times
Reputation: 6222
Quote:
Originally Posted by unctorious View Post
Went outside the other day and there was a can like a garbage can in front of the house, apparently these are the new recycling bins for ToH. We can now recycle pizza boxes too. I have to admit I was kind of excited about this.
Is it specifically marked for cardboard or paper? If so, I definitely would be rather excited. We currently have the orange bin and it appears that they only take glass and cans out of that bin (we bag them in clear plastic first). Anything that was paper or cardboard just went in the regular garbage truck, which really annoyed me.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2012, 01:58 PM
 
Location: Former LI'er Now a Rehoboth Beach Bunny
2,930 posts, read 2,929,704 times
Reputation: 2202
TNH pizza boxes went with newspapers on recycle day.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2012, 02:19 PM
 
239 posts, read 441,530 times
Reputation: 86
There was a letter in the can that asked residents to use the new can for cans, bottles, glass, plastic and metal items. They asked that the old bins be used for newspaper, cardboard and other paper products.

They are also "pleased" to announce that they will be accepting "box board" (cereal, pasta and other food boxes), index cards, white telephone books (not yellow) and pizza boxes.

They also recommend you put your address on the can and the lid.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2012, 02:48 PM
 
2,486 posts, read 2,066,929 times
Reputation: 1875
We didn't get new boxes in RI, but as of June we put everything - paper, etc. in just one box. We no longer have to pay attention to the numbers on plastic items.

We do have one funny law though.. they will not pick up your garbage cans if your recyling box is not put out at the same time.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2012, 04:28 PM
 
511 posts, read 428,712 times
Reputation: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by peabodyn View Post
There was a letter in the can that asked residents to use the new can for cans, bottles, glass, plastic and metal items. They asked that the old bins be used for newspaper, cardboard and other paper products.

They are also "pleased" to announce that they will be accepting "box board" (cereal, pasta and other food boxes), index cards, white telephone books (not yellow) and pizza boxes.

They also recommend you put your address on the can and the lid.
Thanks Peabody, my wife paraphrased the letter for me as we were getting in the car - I just heard pizza boxes. I am pleased by these announcements as well.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2012, 04:29 PM
 
Location: Long Island, NY
6,474 posts, read 4,313,368 times
Reputation: 6222
Quote:
Originally Posted by peabodyn View Post
There was a letter in the can that asked residents to use the new can for cans, bottles, glass, plastic and metal items. They asked that the old bins be used for newspaper, cardboard and other paper products.

They are also "pleased" to announce that they will be accepting "box board" (cereal, pasta and other food boxes), index cards, white telephone books (not yellow) and pizza boxes.

They also recommend you put your address on the can and the lid.
Excellent! The sanitation truck that picks up on my block would take the newspapers or cardboard boxes and toss them in the truck. They waved at me, took the stack, chucked it in the truck and left. I was like ! Why bother?

I used to live in Queens and the recycling laws are stricter. Just about everything gets recycled so when I first moved to LI, I would separate everything and realized they just toss it in the truck lol

I wonder why not the yellow pages but they're taking the white pages?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2012, 05:51 PM
 
1 posts, read 1,330 times
Reputation: 10
Default Town Of Hempstead

I received one of those new recycle bins from the town of Hemstead (Triple R Can). I have a problem with the lid design; it puddles with water and is now a new breeding pool for mosquitos. I am doing my part to combat the mosquito population on my East Meadow property including the recent installation of a "bat house", but now I have to make sure the lid on my recycle bin is free of water. In short, poor design. East Meadow Realtor, www.EastMeadowJowBrown.com
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2012, 11:00 PM
 
239 posts, read 441,530 times
Reputation: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph brown View Post
I received one of those new recycle bins from the town of Hemstead (Triple R Can). I have a problem with the lid design; it puddles with water and is now a new breeding pool for mosquitos. I am doing my part to combat the mosquito population on my East Meadow property including the recent installation of a "bat house", but now I have to make sure the lid on my recycle bin is free of water. In short, poor design. East Meadow Realtor, www.EastMeadowJowBrown.com

Yes, the water does pool up on the lid. I guess we can drill a couple of holes in the lid to drain the water into the can and then also drill a few in the bottom of the can to drain the can itself.

I agree - bad design.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2012, 09:04 PM
Status: "For President 2016" (set 5 days ago)
 
Location: In my house
3,263 posts, read 4,888,329 times
Reputation: 1306
I didn't get one. Do they have Kate Murray's face on them?
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top