Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2007, 09:51 AM

63 posts, read 296,367 times

Advertisements

we are moving and looking at a few houses in different towns. i really don't want a house without sewers (unless someone here can convince me otherwise).

so where do the sewer lines run? let me know what street(s)/area(s) youknow FOR SURE have sewers.
i think that most of the town of babylon has them--does deer park? how about town of huntington?

thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2007, 10:14 AM

16 posts, read 90,767 times
Here is a map of the suffolk sewer districts, the green areas have sewers.

http://www.co.suffolk.ny.us/Planning/SEWER.pdf (broken link)

Old 10-01-2007, 11:21 AM

45 posts, read 266,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathicool View Post
we are moving and looking at a few houses in different towns. i really don't want a house without sewers (unless someone here can convince me otherwise).

so where do the sewer lines run? let me know what street(s)/area(s) youknow FOR SURE have sewers.
i think that most of the town of babylon has them--does deer park? how about town of huntington?

thanks!
I'm on the Southwest Sewer district and I pay $660 per year to flush the toilet. If you can avoid the sewer district do so.

Old 10-01-2007, 04:03 PM

1,917 posts, read 7,080,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a private person View Post
I'm on the Southwest Sewer district and I pay $660 per year to flush the toilet. If you can avoid the sewer district do so.
I would pay that and more, rather than have a pile of excrement under my grass in my yard...that is for sure.

Old 10-01-2007, 07:49 PM

1,058 posts, read 3,479,084 times
Quote:
I would pay that and more, rather than have a pile of excrement under my grass in my yard...that is for sure.
Hmm... does anyone know the average life span of a typical cesspool?

With life span of 25 years, lets say, the cesspools are cheaper over the long run than sewers.

$660 x 25 =$16500 in sewer taxes over 25 year span, and that is not factoring in increses in the sewer tax. I paid $3000 to put in new cesspools 4 years ago so the total cost per year over 25 years would be only $120/year.

However, that is under the best conditions. Sewers are always certainly better to have, but cesspools are cheaper.

Old 10-02-2007, 12:34 PM

63 posts, read 296,367 times
AWESOME! I looked and looked and could not find exactly that!

Thank you!

I wonder how up to date that map is......

Old 10-02-2007, 01:08 PM

553 posts, read 1,929,221 times
I have sewers. and I had cesspools growing up as a kid. Much rather have the sewers. Our cesspools always had to be pumped out.LOL I remember my grandfather and father snakeing the lines also, what a nightmare. could be just that they were old and in south sayville where the water table was high. the cesspools would not absorb that much I guess , especially around the high tides. The washing machine definately put a hurting on them also. no problems at all with the sewers though. Just a thought if someone moves close to the water.

Old 10-02-2007, 06:52 PM

491 posts, read 822,850 times
Where you have sewers your eventually going to have large apartments, condos (high density) like the mess in Great Neck.
There are more square feet of cars then square feet of street over there.
Sewers bring large devolopment and save ZERO on taxes The polititions and contractors simply find ways to steal all the revenue

-Joe
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island