Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 08:42 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,875,457 times

Advertisements

Tipping has gotten out of hand. I think people forget what a tip really means. Beyond the call of duty or what is expected. It's a great way to show your gratitude and satisfaction for someone going out of their way. To expect it even at a restaurant just because you're doing your job has taken away the meaning completely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2012, 11:55 AM

91 posts, read 201,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
Tipping has gotten out of hand. I think people forget what a tip really means. Beyond the call of duty or what is expected. It's a great way to show your gratitude and satisfaction for someone going out of their way. To expect it even at a restaurant just because you're doing your job has taken away the meaning completely.
Does that mean you don't tip waiters and waitresses unless they go out of their way? If so, you should carefully inspect your meals the next time you eat out.

We usually leave between $3 and $5 per night for a hotel stay.

Old 07-20-2012, 12:34 PM

1,606 posts, read 2,961,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdunnoMyName View Post
Does that mean you don't tip waiters and waitresses unless they go out of their way? If so, you should carefully inspect your meals the next time you eat out.

We usually leave between $3 and $5 per night for a hotel stay.
Waiters have their wages adjusted for tipping, maids do not. They are paid for a service and are expected to do so. We're not talking about how my steak is prepared or how quickly I get a refill. We're talking about changing sheets here.

$5/night is nuts.

Old 07-20-2012, 01:26 PM

I think the $3 - $5 would mean more to the person working weekends for minimum wage than to me, who is out enjoying vacation time. Cleaning up after other people is a crummy job.

Old 07-20-2012, 01:30 PM

1,441 posts, read 2,752,151 times
This is a joke right?

Housekeeping staff in a hotel get paychecks, you know. They are not expecting tips. You are paying a crazy enough price for the room, now I have to tip a lady for doing her own job? Nobody tips me for doing mine. Please.

Old 07-20-2012, 01:37 PM

322 posts, read 937,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidge1114 View Post
Waiters have their wages adjusted for tipping, maids do not. They are paid for a service and are expected to do so. We're not talking about how my steak is prepared or how quickly I get a refill. We're talking about changing sheets here.

$5/night is nuts.
I don't see why $5/day is such an outrageous amount. I always tip $3-5/day when I stay at a hotel pending the length of stay and service I receive.

You say all they do is change the sheets? How about cleaning the bathroom after some person managed to splash an inch of water all over the floor outside the bathtub?

How about cleaning those small trash cans when those bachelor party attendees leave puke and used condoms in them after taking out the liner to pack their dirty boxers?

How about cleaning the outdoor balconies on very hot or cold days when the birds who nest on the outdoor lights crap all over them?

You're entitled to leave however much you want for maid service, but to say it's just changing sheets is a huge understatement.

The only time I ever left a lousy tip for maid service is when I used the hotel's laundry service and they dropped it off 3 hours later than they said they would. But I only deducted for that incident. Still left something for the rest of the stay.

Old 07-20-2012, 01:57 PM

2,666 posts, read 7,333,570 times
Quote:
This is exactly what I mean.... you better tip us well or else.....

Anyway, So, I would assume you announce to the waiter or waitress that you are going to tip handsomely as soon as you are seated so that you don't have to "inspect" your meals when they come ?

Old 07-20-2012, 02:10 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
This has been very interesting. We just returned from 5 days away and as I said in my original post when I started this thread we were amazed. We left $25. Some of our friends were amazed and we could not get over it. Despite leaving nothing laying around, upon leaving our bed is straightened daily, the used towels folded over the tub and everything that needs to be thrown out is thrown out, we still leave them a tip. We both made our way through school on tips so we can't think about not doing so. The only variable is if we need additional services, we will generally add to the $5 per day. Last year while away, we asked for an additional change of towels as we were in a warm climate and showering more than once in the same day, so we adjusted our tip accordingly as the housekeeper left duplicate sets of towels for us.

Old 07-20-2012, 02:51 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,875,457 times
Quote:
I do it because of societal norms, which again - this is wrong. And so is providing a low wage in the hopes that your customers make up the difference for you on top of paying for their food. Yes I'm talking about restaurant owners. I've heard people claim that if they paid their employees a regular wage, then the price of food would go up. Then why are they already charging nearly $10 for a burger that goes for less than $5 at a fast food place? It's just wrong and btw, we never get the same waiters again anyway.

Last edited by ovi8; 07-20-2012 at 04:19 PM..

Old 07-20-2012, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu400 View Post
This is exactly what I mean.... you better tip us well or else.....

Anyway, So, I would assume you announce to the waiter or waitress that you are going to tip handsomely as soon as you are seated so that you don't have to "inspect" your meals when they come ?
When I sit down at a place I frequent, I don't want the wait staff to remember me as the cheapskate who never tips. I'm sure that would stick out in their minds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island