Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 06:23 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarag View Post
I always say thank you to someone holding a door or giving me change, I will try to hurry up when someone is holding the door for me and I find I'm the only one to do this because when I'm holding the door people are so slow and don't usually say anything. I will also greet walker, bikers etc in my neighborhood with good morning or hi or even a nod. My kids think I'm nuts because if I'm driving and people let me go at a 4 way stop or just let me cut in I will say thank you in the car to them
I think it is rude when people don't hurry up for you if you are holding a door for them. They should be respectful of the fact you are doing something nice for them. What also makes me nuts is if I'm driving and I stop to let a pedestrian cross and they are taking their sweet time. No I'm doing YOU a favour don't be slow for me, next time I will just hit you. Ugh so rude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2012, 08:25 AM

245 posts, read 495,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I think it is rude when people don't hurry up for you if you are holding a door for them. They should be respectful of the fact you are doing something nice for them. What also makes me nuts is if I'm driving and I stop to let a pedestrian cross and they are taking their sweet time. No I'm doing YOU a favour don't be slow for me, next time I will just hit you. Ugh so rude.
Lol yes I know that feeling.

Old 07-26-2012, 08:54 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,884,676 times
Quote:
so what you're saying is you won't hold the door or wait at the intersection for the old or disabled folks? That's just rude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
the whole verbal transaction should end at "thank you". period.
no no it should end with a good ole head nod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetties View Post
Sometimes just a smile says more than "thank you".
no no, too awkward between dudes, we can only do the good ole head nod.

Last edited by ovi8; 07-26-2012 at 09:03 AM..

Old 07-26-2012, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
so what you're saying is you won't hold the door or wait at the intersection for the old or disabled folks? That's just rude!

no no it should end with a good ole head nod.

no no, too awkward between dudes, we can only do the good ole head nod.
Old and disable are different obv... I'm talking about other people outside that category

Old 07-26-2012, 10:16 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,245,633 times
Quote:
I understand your point but then there are people that are holding the door for you when you are still quite far away, forcing you to jog/run so they don't have to wait too long for you to get there.

Old 07-26-2012, 12:42 PM

638 posts, read 1,282,107 times
I'm noticing more and more, the less and less use of "thank you" here on LI. It costs NOTHING to speak two appreciative words.

Old 07-26-2012, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetties View Post
I understand your point but then there are people that are holding the door for you when you are still quite far away, forcing you to jog/run so they don't have to wait too long for you to get there.
Well yeah but I don't mind bc I don't want to have to make them wait for me

Old 07-26-2012, 02:05 PM

3,179 posts, read 3,166,021 times
Quote:
What also makes me nuts is if I'm driving and I stop to let a pedestrian cross and they are taking their sweet time. No I'm doing YOU a favour don't be slow for me, next time I will just hit you. Ugh so rude.
Ahem. No, you are not doing the pedestrians a FAVOR when they are crossing in a marked pedestrian crosswalk. You are following the LAW. Chill out, dude. Life is too short for such arrogance and anger.

Old 07-27-2012, 08:39 PM

31 posts, read 32,830 times
People hardly show gratitude nowadays. When I'm driving, I try to be nice and let people pull out in front of me. Maybe 1/4 of the time do I get a thank you wave. Usually it's only ever women who wave.

Old 07-30-2012, 06:38 AM

88 posts, read 249,193 times
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say to the OP, why are you saying thank you to the cashier?" Shouldn't they be the ones saying "thank you"? You are patronizing their store, spending money that keeps them employed. We are now thanking people for doing their job? Whatever happened to "thanks for shopping here", "thanks for your business"? Only in NY do we actually feel the need to thank cashiers, waiters/waitresses, service employees for doing what they are paid to do when they should be the ones thanking customers. It's simple courtesy in other parts of the country. Please note, I also believe that as a customer you have a responsibility to 1. look service workers in the eye 2. speak politely and pleasantly to them 3. be patient 4. wait your turn but in no way do you owe them thanks unless they absolutely went above and beyond their duties to help you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island