Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 06:13 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,702,873 times

Advertisements

What is the point of your question?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2012, 06:46 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,995,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcba View Post
3 kids...........5,4 and 2 - far from boring
Yup, far from boring there. Add a puppy to the mix and you'll have all the relaxation of the invasion of Normandy.

Seriously, with kids that young, a puppy is a must as they need to grow together. I don't like to poo poo (nice pun) on pet stores but the breeding tends to be shoddy and hard to track and health issues are frequent. The better breeders deal directly and you're not paying for the storefront rent but you're paying for "elite" breeding with the intent of dogs being AKC certified, etc.

That said, lots of great puppies available at North Shore Animal League. Cost will be alot less (ALOT less), you'll be doing something good for dogs and people, your kids can check them out with you, they may offer some incentives like upfront health stuff, shots, worming, microchip, etc. Again, save a ton of money. Worth a visit, you might fall in love. Even purebreeds there.

Unfortunately the shelters now have an abundance of pitbulls and the pure breeds that are good with children tend to be senior age or are puppies that get adopted very very quickly. You can look for them on petfinder.org and see pics and small descriptions. Unfortunately, North Shore online listings are not accurate and that place requires a visit. The turnover is so high and they are rescuing puppy mill dogs constantly so there are real finds to be had there.

Great with kids?: Boxers (the absolute best), Labs of all colors. For small dogs, who cares? Little yappy punks. Might as well get a cat. Actually lots of nice smaller breeds too.

Good luck.

Old 07-31-2012, 07:09 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,798,849 times
Or pick out a breed that you like and see if there is a rescue society that has them. We have a rescue dog ; he was 2 when we got him and he is a wonderful dog. Yes, he is part pit but he is just wonderful and after being found on the streets of Spanish Harlem, he needed a home.
He has been a wonderful addition to our family.

Old 07-31-2012, 07:17 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,970,654 times
If you rent remember many rental places will not rent to an owner with a APBT.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Old 07-31-2012, 07:21 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,995,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
Or pick out a breed that you like and see if there is a rescue society that has them. We have a rescue dog ; he was 2 when we got him and he is a wonderful dog. Yes, he is part pit but he is just wonderful and after being found on the streets of Spanish Harlem, he needed a home.
He has been a wonderful addition to our family.
very cool of you to adopt a 2yr old pit mix!

Old 07-31-2012, 07:34 AM

721 posts, read 1,566,186 times
With little kids like yours, why not work with a rescue organization? They can help you find a dog that will be a good fit for your family. Gimme shelter is based out east. They have puppies all the time- a friend of mine just adopted one. We got our dog through a rescue before we moved here. They will help you find a dog with a good temperament that will love to be with your kids. Not all dogs are good with kids, even pet store puppies. Our first dog when I was growing up was very snappy and we always had to be careful when we had friends over. There are other things to consider- do you want a dog that needs a lot of exercise or a lap dog? A dog that sheds? Etc.

You may decide you don't want a puppy. Training a dog can be tons of work and puppies chew and can have separation anxiety. You can't leave a puppy alone all day if you work. These are the kinds of issues that a rescue can help you navigate. A dog is a lot of work and it is a commitment-- many people don't realize that. a slightly older dog can be a good choice too.

We got my dog when he was already a year old. We lived in an apartment at the time and he was trained so that was great for us. He came from the NYAC shelter and his owners surrendered him because they had a baby. He is a very cute dog-- he is a doodle, 20 pounds, doesn't shed. Loves to run with me for short distances.

As other people said, don't buy a puppy from a pet store. My mom bought a puppy when I was in high school. It had (very expensive) health issues and then it died and we were heartbroken.

Last edited by redrunner+2; 07-31-2012 at 07:44 AM..

Old 07-31-2012, 08:20 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
If you rent remember many rental places will not rent to an owner with a APBT.

Narragansett Bay -- my homeowners insurance -- won't cover you if you have what they consider 'dangerous breeds'. There are so many pit and pit mixes at Brookhaven because of the macho idiots who don't spay/neuter, who use them to fight and are generally abusive. I like ABPTs but can't do anything for fear of being dropped by Narragansett.

Old 07-31-2012, 09:38 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,970,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Narragansett Bay -- my homeowners insurance -- won't cover you if you have what they consider 'dangerous breeds'. There are so many pit and pit mixes at Brookhaven because of the macho idiots who don't spay/neuter, who use them to fight and are generally abusive. I like ABPTs but can't do anything for fear of being dropped by Narragansett.
APBTs are great dogs that have a bad reputation. It's a shame, but it's fact that idiots who have them and abuse them to the point that they attack humans/animals are causing problems for everyone else.

Old 07-31-2012, 10:15 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
APBTs are great dogs that have a bad reputation. It's a shame, but it's fact that idiots who have them and abuse them to the point that they attack humans/animals are causing problems for everyone else.

Too bad we can't spay/neuter them.

Old 07-31-2012, 11:15 AM

241 posts, read 732,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcba View Post
that IS the place !!! stuffed dogs all over lawn, very clean and all puppies in cribs. We are considering a dog to join our family, I went there for an education on what dogs are good with kids and what types to consider. maybe it was "nap time" lol...........Im feeling better.
I pass that place quite often at different times of day/week. The puppies are always cheery, barking and jumping. What you saw is not the norm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island