Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2012, 08:01 AM

783 posts, read 1,422,272 times

Advertisements

After a tenant moves out on his own but leaves behind some property, clothes, funiture..etc. What is the requirement of the landlord to handle that property? Does he have to store it for 30 days or can he immediately get rid of it? Does he have to also notify the tenant that he is discharging his property?Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2012, 09:53 AM

3,351 posts, read 9,756,661 times
That is a very tricky question and I suggest that you consult your attorney. If a tenant has left property behind he may not be considered legally to have vacated. I don't know the full circumstances of the move out. Was it amicable or did he abandon the property while in a lease or while still owing you money?

Old 08-01-2012, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMoser View Post
That is a very tricky question and I suggest that you consult your attorney. If a tenant has left property behind he may not be considered legally to have vacated. I don't know the full circumstances of the move out. Was it amicable or did he abandon the property while in a lease or while still owing you money?

He abandoned the property and still owned money. Thanks.

Old 08-01-2012, 11:50 AM

3,351 posts, read 9,756,661 times
Then you definately need to talk to your attorney. Beleive it or not, you may have to get a court order to remove his stuff.

Old 08-01-2012, 07:13 PM

1,775 posts, read 3,783,495 times
Can you reach out to the tenant and just ask him/her what to do with it? My old tenant moved out a week ago, she left behind a TV and paint cans..she told me she was leaving it behind and that the TV could be tossed..(it was an old tube TV). I threw out the old paint but kept the TV...so no loss there!!

Old 08-01-2012, 09:27 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,952,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMing View Post
He abandoned the property and still owned money. Thanks.
NY is a little tricky but....

If he still owes you money and abandoned his property you can do this...... as long as he still owes you money "technically" after 30 days it becomes your property even if he owes money on it( ie rent-a center, paying off furniture) Me personally..I would wait 60 days because some judges are a little senile.

Just curious is the property of any value or pretty much junk? If it has value store it somewhere if you have the room and wait it out.

The procedure would be somewhat different if he didn't owe you money... if you need that feel free to DM me.

Old 08-02-2012, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
NY is a little tricky but....

If he still owes you money and abandoned his property you can do this...... as long as he still owes you money "technically" after 30 days it becomes your property even if he owes money on it( ie rent-a center, paying off furniture) Me personally..I would wait 60 days because some judges are a little senile.

Just curious is the property of any value or pretty much junk? If it has value store it somewhere if you have the room and wait it out.

The procedure would be somewhat different if he didn't owe you money... if you need that feel free to DM me.

The property together is worth under $300. To be safe I keep it around for 60 days. Thanks for the advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island