Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 06:42 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,236,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
Yeah, don't get me wrong... even then it will take eons for any changes to pay off (which are all contingent upon future contract negotiations not giving every single thing right back) - and on top of that, these measures alone won't equate to some massive difference. However, with every single turnover Suffolk County will be saving money. That's something new, and much better than the alternative.

If I were a Suffolk resident, I could live with those details. Not because they're palatable (they're not), but because I know there isn't really any way around them. The weird and wild world of New York organized public labor seemingly prevents otherwise, and any significant change has to be manufactured through state legislation. I don't know exactly how the arbitration process works either, but from the police contracts I can remember reading about, their big thing is looking at how nearby police departments compensate their employees... so we get ridiculous logic like "well, the Centre Island PD has 16 steps up to a $180k maximum base pay, thus NCPD has to get something close to that too" (disclaimer for all the "inside baseball" ex-cops who are about to jump down my throat: those are not real numbers, and the scenario is an exaggeration). Who can say for sure if arbitration would have resulted in a different outcome, but in the past it's always been more, more, more - and I've really only been paying attention since the economy has been in the tank, so I don't think the fact that the county's residents are hurting financially plays such an important part - if it enters the discussion at all.
they should look "nearby" to NYC to compare their compensation.
Talk about keeping crime down. The PBA strong arms everyone . As I have said it's a banana republic here on LI without the tropical weather.

Old 08-15-2012, 07:52 PM

57,285 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifetimeliguy View Post
they should look "nearby" to NYC to compare their compensation.
Talk about keeping crime down. The PBA strong arms everyone . As I have said it's a banana republic here on LI without the tropical weather.
They don't consider NYC because there are 2 cops to a car, and some other differences. The cost for Westchester police is less than 10% of the total budget, SCPD and NCPD are around 20-25%.

Old 08-15-2012, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
Yeah, don't get me wrong... even then it will take eons for any changes to pay off (which are all contingent upon future contract negotiations not giving every single thing right back) - and on top of that, these measures alone won't equate to some massive difference. However, with every single turnover Suffolk County will be saving money. That's something new, and much better than the alternative.
I agree this is a good thing but I don't see how they make it through the next 10-20 years, many municipalities are already borrowing from the pension funds to cover the increases, where are they getting the money for this if sales tax receipts stay down.

The other part of this is that all the private villages and cities are seeing exactly what counties are, Garden City, RVC, Hempstead, etc are in bad shape. Long Beach is close to bankruptcy, not just due to police but they are a big part of the problem. I just don't see bandaids resolving the current budget problems, taxpayers are not seeing the real cost of these pensions due to the borrowing, if taxpayers were asked to pay the actual costs they would see the severity of the problems.

Old 08-15-2012, 08:43 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,746,443 times
If it were my decision, I would say no more raises until the economy improves and Suffolk gets its ducks in order regarding the deficit. Even if they win in arbitration and get their money for '11 and raise for '12, never go into a contract again unless 0% raises are in it and they start paying for healthcare. I really think it's much different this time...People are paying attention. Nassau is at "Zero's" indefinitely (since last year) until NIFA sees fiscal improvements. So if the arbitrator is gonna compare to the NCPD, the taxpayers should win.

All new county employees are gonna pay 15% health anyway regardless if this goes through or not. Binding Arbitration is sunsetting next July '13, and Cuomo is opposed to renewing it. The county has all the leverage at this point. Putting this contract through is a huge mistake IMO. Like it has been said by numerous people, there will be no tax saving benefits until next decade. Suffolk's not saving anything, if anything it's going to cost a lot more adding these generous raises to existing salaries/pensions. People are fed up with the taxes now. Most are vehemently opposed to another decade of keeping the status quo.

Last edited by Pequaman; 08-15-2012 at 09:26 PM..

Old 08-15-2012, 09:39 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifetimeliguy View Post
Does the contract specify it's 15% of the initial healthcare costs, or does the actual amount paid in escalate as the healthcare cost increases ?
another thing - getting a 1.75% raise 2x/year is much better than getting a 3.5% yearly raise. After four years, it's almost 15% .. Is this on top of those step increases ?
Of course , any NCPD/SCPD will tell you they can do much better in the private sector, where , as we all know, raises are given out at least twice a year these days.
Who doesn't know an NCPD/SCPD or NYPD who isn't working a side job pulling in more $$$ on top of what they already earn? A friend's husband -- SCPD, $144,324 in 2011 (up from $127,080 in 2010) -- does contracting on the side. Another friend is a painter. More power to them for raking in more $$$ but in the grand scheme of things -- police salary only -- he's earning just 35K less than the Governor of NYS.

Old 08-16-2012, 04:51 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,771,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Who doesn't know an NCPD/SCPD or NYPD who isn't working a side job pulling in more $$$ on top of what they already earn? A friend's husband -- SCPD, $144,324 in 2011 (up from $127,080 in 2010) -- does contracting on the side. Another friend is a painter. More power to them for raking in more $$$ but in the grand scheme of things -- police salary only -- he's earning just 35K less than the Governor of NYS.
So true and I always wondered why this was. Why when you already make decent money would you want to run a side buisness and therefore be working all the time? Yet tons of cops do this.

Old 08-16-2012, 06:25 AM

Some more information on the contract I have not seen before, not sure this is a good deal, Suffolk needs a complete analysis before they approve this.

"...Bellone announced this week, base salaries will rise by a compounded total of 12 percent between June 2013 and June 2016. On top of these increases, however, the leaked memo indicates there will be at least three separate base salary increases starting in January 2013, plus added longevity increments. In addition, base pay will be boosted with a total of 60 hours in added "compensatory time."
Officers on the payroll in 2014 and 2015 will defer some of that comp time until retirement -- at which point the accumulated value will be reimbursable at their final (higher) pay rates, on top of what typically comes to tens of thousands of dollars in accrued sick time. To help retiring cops cope with the tax consequences of their growing severance packages, the county also would agree to create a new tax-sheltered "severance deferral" savings account for PBA members.

.... It could never again transfer or subcontract any PBA function to other workers without the union's permission. And it would pledge not to lay off PBA members.
The leaked version of the agreement further stipulates that these benefits "shall be considered mandatory subjects in all future negotiations." Under the state Taylor Law, contractual provisions classified as "mandatory subjects of negotiation" are extremely difficult to dislodge or modify. In other words, the PBA would not only gain ironclad job security for cops for the next eight years, it would take a big step toward keeping it forever. "

http://www.newsday.com/opinion/colum...ions-1.3907186

Old 08-16-2012, 09:16 AM

10 posts, read 16,960 times
Why should a cop reach top pay so early, very young compared to the private sector?

Why should a cop even be eligible to collect a pension when they make so much!?

167,000 is a lot of money and completely unjustified- either they should get average pay with a similar pension, or above average pay and fund their own retirement, no pension!

Why should they get better health care than the rest of us slobs?

Old 08-16-2012, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
So true and I always wondered why this was. Why when you already make decent money would you want to run a side buisness and therefore be working all the time? Yet tons of cops do this.
They have wives who can stay home with the children, offer them all sorts of lessons and classes? The cop/contractor I know will have a well-established business when he retires in his 40's and starts collecting his pension.

My friend in the CHP (his contract) has to remain on the job for 25 years and can collect a pension of 75% based on his 3 highest earning years. His year, it was either 25 years or age of 50 -- whichever was longer. I believe the system was reformed so that the age at which a CHP can retire is 55 and the formula for the pension reduces it to the 70% range.

Let's see SCPD and NCPD do that -- tell these guys coming on at 24 that they have to serve the county until they've worked either 30 years or are 55.

Old 08-16-2012, 10:00 AM

I would like to know how much they have contributed to their pension in those 20 years vs. how much the taxpayers will be on the hook for over the course of their retired lifetime. Figure that guy retiring at 48 has to have at least another 25-30 years left in him.

Last edited by Keeper; 08-17-2012 at 06:18 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island