Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 08:28 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIGuy1202 View Post
When I lived in Levittown, near Hempstead and Gardner, I found the area depressing for a number of reasons:

1) There's no shade...few if any trees or building greater than two stories (and these are few). Is there something really wrong with the ground that makes it difficult or expensive to build 3-5 storied buildings?

2) There's very little, practical green space. It's mostly concrete and asphalt.

3) The architecture along Hempstead is dated, cheap, and uninspiring.

4) As mentioned, there's no community center(s). There's no definable sense of place.
Hempstead Tpke between WSP and Gardner Ave, going back to my earliest memory of it in 1970, looked much like you mention above. East of Gardner (save for the TSS and a church) it was mostly green. Pathmark went in and then the one ugly curved building (the first of what was to be four and a helipad) went up. The stretch just grew uglier by the decade until it took a turn at becoming a combo of some derelict buildings coupled with overdeveloped lots.

It is a shame that when Levitt was slapping up the houses, that there was a complete lack of vision as to the public spaces -- other than the pools and library.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2012, 11:11 AM

573 posts, read 1,242,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post

I think they should make a sports center (ice rink, pool complex, etc) at the former K-mart/Borders corner. Newbridge Arena is a crumbling mess and the Aquatic Center is going to close eventually for the repairs needed. They wanted to build one at Levittown Memorial but proclaimed it "for school use only", not the public, but they expected the public to fund it! That's some smart planning AND PR there!!! Sports complex, pool, ice rink, gym. Let's at least get something for our money.
I had forgotten about that, the pool at memorial. I think it was free to residents of the school district and there was a paid membership option for non-residents - I just remember thinking that it would increase traffic on/around Abbey Lane, Ranch Lane, Green Lane, and the surrounding blocks and I wouldn't be pleased if I lived on one of them, haha.

Old 08-07-2012, 12:03 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,997,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unctorious View Post
I had forgotten about that, the pool at memorial. I think it was free to residents of the school district and there was a paid membership option for non-residents - I just remember thinking that it would increase traffic on/around Abbey Lane, Ranch Lane, Green Lane, and the surrounding blocks and I wouldn't be pleased if I lived on one of them, haha.
Actually they were proposing NO USE by residents or non-residents, period! School use only. That plan was DOA. Some nerve.

Old 08-07-2012, 01:30 PM

573 posts, read 1,242,793 times
Quote:
Actually they were proposing NO USE by residents or non-residents, period! School use only. That plan was DOA. Some nerve.
Was the initial plan changed? I was able to find a little summary of what was going to be put in:

Quote:
District Investigates Feasibility of
Field of Dreams, Pool Complex at LMEC

The Levittown School District and Board of Education has decided to investigate two major athletic proposals on the grounds of Levittown Memorial Education Center. While the district is handling Field of Dreams and the Pool Complex as two separate entities, the board's sentiment regarding the two remains the same - they are committed to not putting the tax burden of this project or maintenance on Levittown residents.

Field of Dreams, the first phase, would consist of a turf field with permanent markings for football, soccer and lacrosse use, a new track with markings for track use, lights for nighttime use, bleacher seating for 1,500 and a field house with bathrooms, lockers, a concession stand and public bathrooms.
Phase II of the Field of Dreams would include new softball and baseball fields, located directly behind the LMEC gymnasium.

Phase III would be installing a pool where the tennis courts currently are. Long Island Swim Association, along with attorneys and architects, attended a Jan. 27 board meeting to further explain their proposal to build a swimming complex, complete with a prefabricated Olympic-size pool in the back of LMEC. The pool, 50 meters long by 26 yards wide, would not have any diving sections. The complex would also include a weight room, study rooms and a 20'X50' training pool. Their proposition includes leasing an acre of land from the school district.

The plan is for all three phases not to be a tax burden for Levittown residents. Levittown Schools Athletic Director J. Keith Snyder would seek corporate sponsorships, alumni donations, town, state and federal grants.

Source: Stories That Made Headlines in 2006

Old 08-07-2012, 02:31 PM

2,202 posts, read 4,328,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Hempstead Tpke between WSP and Gardner Ave, going back to my earliest memory of it in 1970, looked much like you mention above. East of Gardner (save for the TSS and a church) it was mostly green. Pathmark went in and then the one ugly curved building (the first of what was to be four and a helipad) went up. The stretch just grew uglier by the decade until it took a turn at becoming a combo of some derelict buildings coupled with overdeveloped lots.

It is a shame that when Levitt was slapping up the houses, that there was a complete lack of vision as to the public spaces -- other than the pools and library.
I have to admit, the area around the Levittown Pool and Library are almost nice...if it weren't for their view of the dumpsters of the shopping plaza which faces Hempstead Tnpk.

So much could be done if the Tri-County Jewelry Exchange & Bali's could be better developed. I always thought the TCJE could use a renovation with shops on the first floor and business offices on the second and an open glass atrium in the middle.

Old 08-07-2012, 04:29 PM

Quote:
I have to admit, the area around the Levittown Pool and Library are almost nice...if it weren't for their view of the dumpsters of the shopping plaza which faces Hempstead Tnpk.

So much could be done if the Tri-County Jewelry Exchange & Bali's could be better developed. I always thought the TCJE could use a renovation with shops on the first floor and business offices on the second and an open glass atrium in the middle.

I haven't been in the TCJE in over 25 years. I worked in a booth there to earn money while in college. When the flea first opened up until the time I hung up my vendor's apron, the building owners did absolutely nothing to improve the building.

If I could play Tonka toy on that property, everything would be leveled. New construction placed toward the rear of the property shaped in a horseshoe with a treed park area in the center for bored hubbies to sit while wives shopped, family members to get fresh air while a sick family member was visiting a doctor, a space for kids to burn a little energy as opposed to them hanging off racks while shopping, a picnic space for professional and employees to sit outside and enjoy lunch or break time.

It would be a good size in scale, but it would have a classic clapboard or brick exterior (or a mix to create a townhouse/village feel) as opposed to stucco or some other facade which will become outdated and dreary in 10 years.

The units would be attached but vary in heights between 2-5 floors to make the taller units appear less imposing.

Old 08-08-2012, 10:21 PM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,724,431 times
Quote:
Oh the horror, some traffic on a main commercial thoroughfare! This is EXACTLY the problem. The classic Kate Murray constituent. Our taxes are too high but let's keep businesses shuttered for fear of traffic.
I'm on hempstead tpke every day and have NEVER waited longer than 1 light cycle. That is hardly "congested."

Maybe TOH should stop blocking development of Sonic and every other business that tries to open with insane parking variance requirements, Nimby complaints of noise, parking, traffic, supposed "quality of life" issues. Sure, some projects don't make sense and should be sent back to the drawing board, but they make it difficult for ANY BUSINESS to open and be sustainable. It's easier to deal with the Yakuza or the Mob and they are more ethical!

I think they should make a sports center (ice rink, pool complex, etc) at the former K-mart/Borders corner. Newbridge Arena is a crumbling mess and the Aquatic Center is going to close eventually for the repairs needed. They wanted to build one at Levittown Memorial but proclaimed it "for school use only", not the public, but they expected the public to fund it! That's some smart planning AND PR there!!! Sports complex, pool, ice rink, gym. Let's at least get something for our money.

Town of OB has a new sports complex in Hicksville and a new beautiful rink in Bethpage. Levittown is the heart of ToH. I say build it. They probably won't come, but so what. We'll at least have something for our money. Better than a vacant lot.

Better yet, elect some officials who are pro development and job creation for real, not just in campaign slogans and bogus homilies.
First of all, congestion on Hempstead Turnpike IS a problem. I travel it everyday. Granted, its not so bad between Oak Street and Merrick Avenue, but its a mess. I'm not saying to block commercial development because of it, I'm just saying they should look for ways to address that if they plan on changing that corridor around for businesses. The same goes for Old Country Road.

Old 08-10-2012, 05:53 AM

1,418 posts, read 2,807,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unctorious View Post
The vacant kMart building on the corner of Hempstead tpke and Gardiners would be great for a 'Town Center'

if the town wants to do something about the old k-mart they would have to ask home depot.

Old 08-10-2012, 06:16 AM

2,202 posts, read 4,328,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
I haven't been in the TCJE in over 25 years. I worked in a booth there to earn money while in college. When the flea first opened up until the time I hung up my vendor's apron, the building owners did absolutely nothing to improve the building.

If I could play Tonka toy on that property, everything would be leveled. New construction placed toward the rear of the property shaped in a horseshoe with a treed park area in the center for bored hubbies to sit while wives shopped, family members to get fresh air while a sick family member was visiting a doctor, a space for kids to burn a little energy as opposed to them hanging off racks while shopping, a picnic space for professional and employees to sit outside and enjoy lunch or break time.

It would be a good size in scale, but it would have a classic clapboard or brick exterior (or a mix to create a townhouse/village feel) as opposed to stucco or some other facade which will become outdated and dreary in 10 years.

The units would be attached but vary in heights between 2-5 floors to make the taller units appear less imposing.
Sounds nice. I think a "Victorian Village" design with brick sidewalks, picket/wrought iron fencing, gaslamp looking lights, etc. would be nice.

Old 08-10-2012, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Sounds nice. I think a "Victorian Village" design with brick sidewalks, picket/wrought iron fencing, gaslamp looking lights, etc. would be nice.
I am a huge fan of Victorians, but in my application I would lean a little more colonial or 'New England' simply because some of the original Levitts were capes. I had lived in one just a few blocks away from the flea market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: